NT Jacinta Nampijinpa Price

Remove this Banner Ad

30% of inmates in Berrimah prison were from the community I lived in… it was a dangerous place and it was supposedly a dry community, if you want to add unlimited supply of alcohol to it, then your welcome to help clean up the mess, because those supplying services now would leave, comparing it to Cronulla is just naive …
I don't want to add anything. I want the leaders/elders of the community to have the power to make their own decisions.

The comparison to Cronulla isn't anything to do with services. It's to show that alcohol-fuelled mass violence isn't specific to Aboriginal people or Aboriginal communities.

I don't want to add anything. I want the leaders/elders of the community to have the power to make their own decisions.

The comparison to Cronulla isn't anything to do with services. It's to show that alcohol-fuelled mass violence isn't specific to Aboriginal people or Aboriginal communities.

Why isn’t it to do with services? How long did Cronulla last for? 2 days?

I agree that leaders/elders should convince their communities that they should be dry… and if they don’t then they will get reduced funding for services etc…

Why isn’t it to do with services?
Because I said so.

How long did Cronulla last for? 2 days?
I'm sure you can look it up yourself.

I agree that leaders/elders should convince their communities that they should be dry… and if they don’t then they will get reduced funding for services etc…
Do as I say or you will be punished!

Because I said so.

I'm sure you can look it up yourself.

Do as I say or you will be punished!

You clearly have no idea about life in a remote Aboriginal community.

I agree Jacinta Price’s blanked ban is wrong and a community decision is better. But the end result is the same…

Most Remote Aboriginal communities don’t have the resources and protections to cope with an Alcohol problem. This is fact … and to say otherwise is just plain dangerous to the vulnerable people that live there.

90% of people living in these communities would be for a ban.

I agree Jacinta Price’s blanked ban is wrong and a community decision is better. But the end result is the same…

Most Remote Aboriginal communities don’t have the resources and protections to cope with an Alcohol problem. This is fact … and to say otherwise is just plain dangerous to the vulnerable people that live there.

Particularly the women and children.

I never pretended to. Why are you arguing they shouldn't have the right to make decisions themselves?

Is it?

Then let's let them make their own decision on it, instead of punishing them if they don't agree with the advice of the all-knowing mainstream Australian. If it's so obvious that an alcohol ban is the solution to the problems afflicting every Aboriginal community, they should all be lining up to welcome the police in to enforce the bans. If they aren't, then I'm sure you can tell us all why with your expert knowledge of life in Aboriginal communities.

Then they're very welcome to say so and I will listen and support their decision.

Cronulla was a once-off event triggered by misplaced “patriotism” as a thin excuse to brawl. Violence in the communities is continual, either within a community or between communities, eg Wadeye.

Why don’t the elders have the power to make decisions? Because the communities are not structured like a council, with a few having authority over the rest. Some communities are peaceful, others not. It comes down to the individuals within the groups.

I never pretended to. Why are you arguing they shouldn't have the right to make decisions themselves?

Never said they should’nt have that Choice? Show me where I did? I said I disagreed with a blanket ban.
I said thier choice should have consequences …. reduced funding if they chose to be a wet community.
There would be a max exodus from a wet community anyhow and some communities would be left in ruins pretty quick.

Try getting front line workers in a wet community where there isn’t services like police etc… crime would explode.

…. And no these issues aren’t race based.

Put any group of low economic, uneducated, unemployed people in a remote town with no prospects of meaningful employment …. And then add alcohol.

So yes alcohol isn’t the underlying problem.

Put any group of low economic, uneducated, unemployed people in a remote town with no prospects of meaningful employment …. And then add alcohol.

Which is why Price's contributions aren't helpful. It's a complex issue and her virtue signalling to the right faction of the Liberal is doing nothing.

I just find it funny the arguments the same people (alot of them mods) have depending if they agree with what rules are being implemented:

1. If a white politician/senator came up with this idea the response would be to anyone who agreed with them: 'your not aboriginal, you are putting your white man values on them'
2. If an Aboriginal politician/senator comes up with an idea 'that aboriginal's opinion doesnt agree with my thoughts so i will disagree and argue with anyone how wrong he/she is (even though im white)'

Which is why Price's contributions aren't helpful. It's a complex issue and her virtue signalling to the right faction of the Liberal is doing nothing.

You can’t dismiss her views on banning alcohol in remote communities unless you offer an alternative…

If the alternative is choice .. and that choice leads to a wet community, which causes massive problems… then What?

At worst all she has done is highlight the issues in communities…..

If it was my ultimate responsibility to keep people safe in remote communities then I too would ban alcohol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t dismiss her views on banning alcohol in remote communities unless you offer an alternative…

If the alternative is choice .. and that choice leads to a wet community, which causes massive problems… then What?

At worst all she has done is highlight the issues in communities…..

If it was my ultimate responsibility to keep people safe in remote communities then I too would ban alcohol.
Surely the answer also has to involve cultural appropriate counselling and rehabilitation as much as anything, blanket prohibition never works and again my biggest issue with Price's ideas is that they are literally racist.

Surely the answer also has to involve cultural appropriate counselling and rehabilitation as much as anything, blanket prohibition never works and again my biggest issue with Price's ideas is that they are literally racist.

It’s not a blanket prohibition though …. Stop saying it is….. it’s not racist either. To say it is racism is ignoring the issues totally.

Seeing as she was born and lived much of her life in communities, and is still strongly involved with them through her extended family, I’d put a lot more faith in her ideas than that. Rehab and counselling are Band-Aid measures, after the damage is done. How about stopping the damage before it’s done.

It’s not a blanket prohibition though …. Stop saying it is….. it’s not racist either. To say it is racism is ignoring the issues totally.
If you make laws that only apply to one group of people and that's based on their ethnicity then it's racist regardless of who's proposing it.

Let’s say a remote community decides to ignore the benefits of being a dry community…. Violence and crime then increase.
Women and children are being abused, teachers are removed because it’s unsafe !!!! Now what?

If you make laws that only apply to one group of people and that's based on their ethnicity then it's racist regardless of who's proposing it.
Ffs where is their law applying to one group?????
The law would be for remote communities where community services are limited. NO ONE CAN DRINK IN A DRY COMMUNITY !!!!! White fellas included.

Again if someone wants to drink alcohol they can …. Just not in a remote community.

so non aboriginal people can drink in these areas under these proposed bans? (i havent read into it, but presume it would be a blanket ban?)

when we stayed at a mates place in a remote community years ago we werent allowed to take alcohol into the community.

Let’s say a remote community decides to ignore the benefits of being a dry community…. Violence and crime then increase.
Women and children are being abused, teachers are removed because it’s unsafe !!!! Now what?
Women and children all over Australia are victims of alcohol related dv every single day, why are we singling the indigenous people out for this draconian treatment? That's my objection we're singling out one group of people and seemingly punishing them for a problem that the whole of society has.

You say this like being a dry community is the default setting.

Its not.

Never said they should’nt have that Choice? Show me where I did? I said I disagreed with a blanket ban.
I said thier choice should have consequences …. reduced funding if they chose to be a wet community.
You want to force people into bans by punishing them if they don't do as you say. This is called coercion and it's tantamount to the same thing. Who appointed you the wise and all-knowing arbiter of what is good for every Aboriginal person living in an Aboriginal community?

There would be a max exodus from a wet community anyhow and some communities would be left in ruins pretty quick.
So is that happening now in wet communities?

Correct. So why aren't you advocating for punishing other rural towns that don't enforce alcohol bans?

Then the community can deal with the fallout of their own decisions. Do you want to save everyone from themselves? Or just people in Aboriginal communities?

And my alternative isn't just choice, it's choice along with increased mental health services and other measures to give people things to do with their lives besides drinking.

So you're now agreeing with a blanket ban?

Communities can now choose if they want an alcohol ban. Previously, they weren't able to for the last 15 years. Price wants the NT to return to the previous model, therefore she wants a blanket prohibition in Aboriginal communities. This isn't hard to understand.

Women and children all over Australia are victims of alcohol related dv every single day, why are we singling the indigenous people out for this draconian treatment? That's my objection we're singling out one group of people and seemingly punishing them for a problem that the whole of society has.

But they aren’t 350km from a police station!!!! Ffs … or on a remote island where it takes hours and hours to get help!!!!!!

You want to force people into bans by punishing them if they don't do as you say. This is called coercion and it's tantamount to the same thing. Who appointed you the wise and all-knowing arbiter of what is good for every Aboriginal person living in an Aboriginal community?

So is that happening now in wet communities?

Correct. So why aren't you advocating for punishing other rural towns that don't enforce alcohol bans?

Then the community can deal with the fallout of their own decisions. Do you want to save everyone from themselves? Or just people in Aboriginal communities?

And my alternative isn't just choice, it's choice along with increased mental health services and other measures to give people things to do with their lives besides drinking.

So you're now agreeing with a blanket ban?

Communities can now choose if they want an alcohol ban. Previously, they weren't able to for the last 15 years. Price wants the NT to return to the previous model, therefore she wants a blanket prohibition in Aboriginal communities. This isn't hard to understand.

Would you lift a ban if you knew it would cause harm to women children?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back