Toast Jack Darling - 250 AFL Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Some get f$%@ed tackles, some pushing guys with 10cm and 10 kgs? out of the rucks, pack crushing and high flying. And if he is breaking some hearts on sunday i hope they have black not blue on their strip.

That stint in 2018 he was the best player in the comp and it wasn't even close.

Despite my genuine disappointment at his decisions at the start of the season I've always been a huge fan and have thoroughly enjoyed watching his career.

Big forward clunking marks and kicking snaggers, great stuff.

His defensive work has also been supreme, I don't think I've ever seen a tall forward duo chase and tackle like JK/JD.

What an absolute bargain at pick 26.

That GF is such a perfect summation. The easiest clip of them all to share is the dropped mark, but it's very hard to convey in a gif or a viral post just how thoroughly he tore that game a new arsehole in the third quarter.

One of those situations where the dropped mark would never have remotely mattered had it not been for him dragging us into a winnable position in the first place.

Classic Jack really.
Thanks for reminding me of this scene:

For this auspicious occasion here are his three best games of his career (IMO):
1. Round 9, 2018 v Richmond (Optus)
He was immense that game, particularly in the second half.
Ended up with 21 disposals, 15 marks (a PB), 11 contested possessions and 6 goals (should've been maybe one or two more).
Amazingly was pipped by Yeo for BOG in the eyes of the umpires. Probably because Yeo sacked Dusty twice on the day.
Darling was attributed a whopping 181 champion data points for this game.

2. Round 11, 2019 v Western Bulldogs (Optus)
Again, really powerful game. Had 15 disposals and kicked 6 goals as well as giving two fantastic goal assists to Kennedy.
Was often double teamed but on all game. Ended with 135 champion data points.
This was the game where Waterman kicked three goals in less than 2 minutes of game time in the third quarter.

3. Round 15, 2019 v Hawthorn (MCG)
Started the game hot with three goals in the first quarter. Finished with 17 disposals, 6 marks, 9 contested possessions and 5 goals.
Most impressively it rained heavily all game and yet was instrumental in our win.

Honourable mentions: Round 9, 2021 v Adelaide (that 2nd quarter, amirite?), Round 14, 2015 v Melbourne, Round 9, 2013 v GWS and Round 21, 2019 v Adelaide

Statistical highlights:
  • Darling had 10 tackles in Round 11, 2014 v North (the most of his career). We were beaten comprehensively that game, but not due to Darling's efforts. The following week v Hawthorn he had 5 clearances (also the most of his career).
  • Darling has had more than 20 disposals on 6 occasions (Round 4, 2011 v Hawthorn, in his fourth game, Round 9, 2011 v Western Bulldogs, Round 23, 2012 v Hawthorn, Round 20, 2013 v Essendon, Round 9, 2018 v Richmond and Round 19, 2019 v North Melbourne).
  • excluding 2020 (which has a compromised season) Darling never dipped below 11 disposals on average per season (9 of his seasons he averaged between 11.1 disposals and 12.3 disposals, only in 2014 (14.3) and 2018 (13.1) were there deviations to these averages.
  • similarly his average marks have had limited fluctuations (10 seasons he averaged marks between 4.5 and 5.6, the only outlier is 2018 were he averaged 6.1 marks).
  • 2022 is statistically his worst season for goals since his rookie season. Outside of these two seasons his fluctuation has been between 1.7 goals per game to 2.5 goals per game).
  • for a tall forward he tackles a lot. On average he lays 2.8 tackles a game. Compared to other tall forwards he averages more than Lynch (1.6 tackles), Walker (1.5 tackles), Cameron (1.5 tackles), Mihocek (1.9 tackles), Taberner (1.5 tackles), McDonald (1.9 tackles), Brown (1.1 tackles), M King (0.9 tackles), B King (0.6 tackles). In fact, I couldn't find a single tall forward who has averaged more tackles than Darling has over his career.

Suffice to say the above is testament to his consistent output on the field.
If this was Moneyball he would be a critical recruitment because, in footballing terms, he just continues to "get on base".

Last edited:
For this auspicious occasion here are his three best games of his career (IMO):
1. Round 9, 2018 v Richmond (Optus)
He was immense that game, particularly in the second half.
Ended up with 21 disposals, 15 marks (a PB), 11 contested possessions and 6 goals (should've been maybe one or two more).
Amazingly was pipped by Yeo for BOG in the eyes of the umpires. Probably because Yeo sacked Dusty twice on the day.
Darling was attributed a whopping 181 champion data points for this game.

2. Round 11, 2019 v Western Bulldogs (Optus)
Again, really powerful game. Had 15 disposals and kicked 6 goals as well as giving two fantastic goal assists to Kennedy.
Was often double teamed but on all game. Ended with 135 champion data points.
This was the game where Waterman kicked three goals in less than 2 minutes of game time in the third quarter.

3. Round 15, 2019 v Hawthorn (MCG)
Started the game hot with three goals in the first quarter. Finished with 17 disposals, 6 marks, 9 contested possessions and 5 goals.
Most impressively it rained heavily all game and yet was instrumental in our win.

Honourable mentions: Round 9, 2021 v Adelaide (that 2nd quarter, amirite?), Round 14, 2015 v Melbourne, Round 9, 2013 v GWS and Round 21, 2019 v Adelaide

Statistical highlights:
  • Darling had 10 tackles in Round 11, 2014 v North (the most of his career). We were beaten comprehensively that game, but not due to Darling's efforts. The following week v Hawthorn he had 5 clearances (also the most of his career).
  • Darling has had more than 20 disposals on 6 occasions (Round 4, 2011 v Hawthorn, in his fourth game, Round 9, 2011 v Western Bulldogs, Round 23, 2012 v Hawthorn, Round 20, 2013 v Essendon, Round 9, 2018 v Richmond and Round 19, 2019 v North Melbourne).
  • excluding 2020 (which has a compromised season) Darling never dipped below 11 disposals on average per season (9 of his seasons he averaged between 11.1 disposals and 12.3 disposals, only in 2014 (14.3) and 2018 (13.1) were there deviations to these averages.
  • similarly his average marks have had limited fluctuations (10 seasons he averaged marks between 4.5 and 5.6, the only outlier is 2018 were he averaged 6.1 marks).
  • 2022 is statistically his worst season for goals since his rookie season. Outside of these two seasons his fluctuation has been between 1.7 goals per game to 2.5 goals per game).
  • for a tall forward he tackles a lot. On average he lays 2.8 tackles a game. Compared to other tall forwards he averages more than Lynch (1.6 tackles), Walker (1.5 tackles), Cameron (1.5 tackles), Mihocek (1.9 tackles), Taberner (1.5 tackles), McDonald (1.9 tackles), Brown (1.1 tackles), M King (0.9 tackles), B King (0.6 tackles). In fact, I couldn't find a single tall forward who has averaged more tackles than Darling has over his career.

Suffice to say the above is testament to his consistent output on the field.
If this was Moneyball he would be a critical recruitment because, in footballing terms, he just continues to "get on base".

Some fair games in that.

Watching GC v Pies last night made me appreciate his ability to convert even more.

His set shot action is actually technically very good.

He has a tendancy to 'steer' the ball from around the 40m mark or less but he still kicks through it. Easily repeatable, simple action that takes a lot of the margin for error out of goal kicking.

I would love nothing more than Jack to rip this game apart.
Superstar WCE and cops way more crap than he deserves.

Yes has his faults but his good far outways any negatives.
Will be up against it today but fingers crossed he can kick a bag and contribute strongly.

Congrats Jack!!

I would love nothing more than Jack to rip this game apart.
Superstar WCE and cops way more crap than he deserves.

Yes has his faults but his good far outways any negatives.
Will be up against it today but fingers crossed he can kick a bag and contribute strongly.

Congrats Jack!!
A bet is self inflicted but I agree with the sentiment

Trade him out, it's amazing at the games this year how much he is hated for his covid stance
only changing his mind when he realised he would lose a lot of money
I`m over that now and Jack`s won me back due to his hard work and effort he puts in every week once he regained his fitness ..

Good to see him get to 250 games with us. I think he is past his best though. I would still offer him up for trade at seasons end. I'm confident that Waterman and Allen could hold up the forward line next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair to say it’s been a bit of a battle form wise for Jack since his 250th but last weekend he drew level with Peter Sumich in 2nd on our all time goal kickers list

It’s a massive achievement and hopefully we see him move into outright 2nd against Gold Coast this weekend

77D098F7-60F3-4625-B9C4-16E6FA4DCB4D.jpeg

It's no coincidence that Jack finding some form and impacting the game has seen us far more competitive.

Darling is going to confound, confuse and bemuse us right to the end of what is an amazing career. I feel like a lot of us will only truly appreciate what we had with Jack after he hangs up the boots.

My long-time favourite, so I'm obviously biased, but I always felt that the criticism he has copped has been unfair albeit partly due to much of the hard work that he does /the unseen contributions to our scores just not making the TV screens (but his misses inevitably do).

Also, I actually lost my voice on the weekend from the cheering when he nailed that 514th goal haha

A big call coming on Jack in the next 6-8 weeks when Allen returns..... he may be forced out of the 22.

Flynn comes back in 4-5 and that sees BBW move to the hybrid fwd/ruck role and Jack Williams back in the 2nd's.

Allen returns and the best like for like fit is Darling.

The club needs to continue to give games to both J Train and Maric.

It may see him stranded around 290 games.

I wonder if the match committee will have the balls.....

I believe if he plays every game the rest of the season, he will become the 2nd ever eagle to play 300 games.

(this was quick math)

You’re maths is correct

Means he would play his 300th v Geelong at alphabets

Still contracted for next year though so would still be a chance to reach the milestone then (form dependent)

I acknowledge all that Jack has achieved and when he's on, he can tear a game apart.
But his marking attempts have always frustrated me (and no, not THAT mark)
He seems to drop so many marks, he often comes across a clutzy, glitchy robot, or robocop as I often unfairly call him...a musclebound man with perhaps too many muscles for today's game.
But I raise my glass to you Jack, you've stood up when needed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back