Jack Irish

Remove this Banner Ad

The show went a lot deeper then just the Fitzroy Connection for me. Back in 1995 I was working as a Production Accountant on a TV show called Ocean Girl which starred the Director of these telemovies, young Jeffrey Walker, who was a closet Royboy and was always nagging me to get him on the bench for our matches (when I was a trainer there). We had quite a good percentage of our crew who were Royboys and Roygirls and even the funny Marieke Hardy was a passionate Lion. From memory there were a few Neighbours stars at the time pretty keen on us and Brad Boyd even started seeing one of the actors.
(On a side note The "Coogee Bay Incident" happened when I was working on this show and I got in to a bit of strife when we got back to Melbourne after that weekend.)
The other thing about the show is when they talk about going in to witness protection and how they'd have to go to Deniliquin, the home of Bobby Henderson and the Home of the Toolman!

I came here to start this thread, so am glad to see it.

I didn't see the first film but the second one, Black Tide, had a running gag with a bunch of old Fitzroy Lions supporters (as mentioned above) propping up the bar at the Union Club Hotel, I think, which was pretty funny. It's well made and acted and the DVDs are out already. Guy Pearce is pretty great in it.
Watching it on telly at the moment and realised I've got this totally wrong. It's definitely the Napier, not the Union.

Ironically one of those 'props' at the bar was the Senior Sergeant to Gil Tucker in Cop Shop who was always spruiking his Roys' Guernsey whenever he could!

Excuse the bump but I am watching Jack Irish on ABC and there are a lot of Fitzroy Footy Club references throughout the series.

He books a busty blonde hooker for a 9am booking at home. He is eating cereal and he says they can set up in the living room. She says she can do a strip for him and to find some music. He goes thru his record collection and finds the Fitzroy club song and puts that on and she looks perplexed, but then starts dancing to it.

Then he gets to the real reason he booked her, she was a witness to guys who tried to kill him, has a conversation and tapes it as back up as she says she wont go to the cops as the guys will kill her. I love how the show gets in lots of little Fitzroy references, especially the 3 old boys who are always in sitting at the bar.

Haha and a couple of scenes later a sculptor friend (Claudia Karvan) of Jack Irish meets him at the bar and the 3 old boys talk to her about building a sculpture of Jack's old man who played for Fitzroy to put it up at the Brunswick St Oval. Very clever writing.

Some of the props used are actually from the Fitzroy Football Club via the Fitzroy Shop and Museum.
Love the Kevin Murray screamer in the framed photo ....from a thrashing we gave Melbourne at Brunswick St in 58...the first time the legendary Smith brothers coached against each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back