Jack Irish

Remove this Banner Ad

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
If any Lions fan is looking for a bit of nostalgia, the new show on ABC1 at 8:30 on Sunday -"Jack Irish" has a Fitzroy connection. The show is set around Fitzroy/Brunswick and includes scenes in a local pub with die-hard 'Roys fans -who still watch replays of games in the bar via an old VHS player. Not a bad show either.

Dammit I wish I could watch TV.

If you read the original book " Bad Debts " by Peter Temple there is a strong connection to the Fitzroy Football Club Jack himself is the son of a fictional Fitzroy ledgend and his drinking mates are staunch Roys supporters. This book is set in the era prior to the demise of Fitzroy FC.

In the later Jack Irish books the football allegience changes to St Kilda but there is still a strong Fitzroy flavour as the characters like to reminise.

In all the books are an entertaining read featuring Melbournes inner suburbs and of course the Fitzroy FC.

Certainly refutes the claims of certain VFL / AFL officials who said the Club had no character , profile or support

Just about to start this thread. Very cool, plenty of jumpers and news clippings sitting around the pub. I might have to iview the rest.

This reminds me, does anyone know the pub almost entirely decked out in Roys gear? Might be at the end of Greeves or Johnston street, that side of Brunswick street. The parmy was ******* tops, if that helps.

The pub was The Napier Hotel, although you'd probably see more hipsters in skinny jeans than old boys watching replays there these days. The Standard on Fitzroy St has more of the feel of the pub in the series with the the front bar usually older blokes and decked out in Fitzroy gear...

The Napier it was, I remember the green tiles. I was wearing skinny jeans and dig Fitzroy, so maybe that's why I felt so at home. It was that or the beers.

Was a bit confused when i was channel surfing and saw Guy Pearce surrounded by Roys gear and watching a game on TV. Very happy to see it.

Also both the Napier and the Standard a pretty good pubs. very good pubs.

The one and only. Also the home of The Bogan Burger.
Aye, jesus christ those things look appalling. Half of the people in there probably only eat that much in a week. But yeah, very cool pub. As a uni student, I quite often fondly remember the absolutely massive kangaroo-and-chicken parmy, it was grouse. Man, I can't wait to go back...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you guys watched it last night. The music over the end credits was a great acoustic version of the Fitzroy club song!
Have to agree .... bought a tear to the eye. It is a long time since I have since I have heard any version of the original Fitzroy anthem.
Does anybody have any idea on who did this version

Saw the ads but never watched it because I was out or watching something else. My sister told me about it the other night and the great scenes with the old Fitzroy fans, so I had a look at it online the last couple of days. The Fitzroy old boys are a good laugh. Good entertainment. The two episodes are on iView for another week but looks like the two episodes will be up permanently at the series web page

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/jackirish/episodes/

and extra stuff linked on the homepage
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/jackirish/

Didn't watch the TV shows (forgot!), but have the books. Will have to get a hold of the TV versions.

Peter Temple is a Fitzroy supporter, I believe. A very good writer too (I actually prefer his later works, rather than the Jack Irish stuff - although, I do quite like the Jack Irish stuff as well).

I came here to start this thread, so am glad to see it.

I didn't see the first film but the second one, Black Tide, had a running gag with a bunch of old Fitzroy Lions supporters (as mentioned above) propping up the bar at the Union Club Hotel, I think, which was pretty funny. It's well made and acted and the DVDs are out already. Guy Pearce is pretty great in it.

If you read the original book " Bad Debts " by Peter Temple there is a strong connection to the Fitzroy Football Club Jack himself is the son of a fictional Fitzroy ledgend and his drinking mates are staunch Roys supporters. This book is set in the era prior to the demise of Fitzroy FC.

In the later Jack Irish books the football allegience changes to St Kilda but there is still a strong Fitzroy flavour as the characters like to reminise.

In all the books are an entertaining read featuring Melbournes inner suburbs and of course the Fitzroy FC.

Certainly refutes the claims of certain VFL / AFL officials who said the Club had no character , profile or support

That was always a crock of s**t Roy - how any club with 100+ yrs of history had no character is beyond me. Great show - stumbled across it and now addicted. My wife thinks I'm an idiot of course but even taking the Fitzroy connection out, it is a really well put together series.

So the book "Bad Debts" is part of a series of books by the same author Roys??

So the book "Bad Debts" is part of a series of books by the same author Roys??
Yep, Peter Temple. He's no mug, either. he writes crime novels in the hard boiled tradition of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett but very much in a parochial setting. His last book 'Truth' won the Miles Franklin, which if you don't know, is Australia's highest literary award, unheard of for a crime writer. His previous book 'The broken shore' won a major international award for crime writing. I've read the last two and they're bonza if you like a cracking yarn with great characters. Truth is particularly awesome as it's set in Victoria during the time of Black Saturday, giving it a whole other layer.
Sorry for interjecting but I'm a recent fan and aim to get stuck into the Jack Irish books.

At first I thought the whole Fitzroy connection was a bit random, then I checked when Bad Debts was published, and given it was in 1996 it makes a whole lot more sense in that historical context

Remove this Banner Ad

Back