Senior Jack Payne (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Bodies In Frame For Return

Jarrod Berry, Jack Payne and Cam Ellis-Yolmen will all push for a return to action this week but the Lions will be without two defenders for extended periods.

Payne suffered a stress fracture following the Round 3 victory over Collingwood. He has also completed a solid running block and only has the final box to tick at training to make his return.

Rayner Eyes Return to Full Training

Meanwhile, Jack Payne will make a full recovery from a nasty head cut obtained in our semi-final loss to the Bulldogs.

240324997_10165563891430173_6084332843607101391_n.jpg

“Jack got split open, there was a fair bit of blood. The cut in his forehead required a fair few stitches, both inside and outside, but we’ll give that time to heal and he’ll be fine.”

Jack and Jimmy... the Year That Was

James Madden and Jack Payne’s performances at senior level in 2021 would have given Coach Chris Fagan plenty of confidence he is well stocked for defensive options heading into next season.

Payne had injury woes in 2021 but still showed his reliability in the 10 senior games he played.

He started the year in the seniors before a foot injury sustained in the Rd 3 victory over Collingwood kept him out until Rd 15.

The 22-year-old returned to play six straight games before injuring his knee against the Hawks in Launceston in Rd 20.

It was a blow as Payne had hit his straps in that game, collecting a career high 22 possessions and taking nine marks.

He returned to the side for the semi-final against The Western Bulldogs but suffered a bad head cut in the opening half and was in hospital as the side went down by a point to the eventual grand finalists.

He also played well against Richmond with 16 disposals and 9 marks.

Opportunity Knocks for Lions' Big Man

Payney.png

FOLLOWING an interrupted pre-season, one of Brisbane's lesser lights is now ready to take on a role as important as any in the Lions' quest for a premiership in 2023.

Jack Payne, the 197cm defender entering his sixth season, had his tonsils removed in January, causing him to lose 5kg in weight and a couple of weeks of training.

However, after a steady build to regain his strength, the 23-year-old was terrific in pre-season wins over Sydney and Geelong and is ready to anchor Brisbane's key defence alongside co-captain Harris Andrews.

And he'll need to too, with the Lions missing reliable duo Marcus Adams (concussion) indefinitely and Darcy Gardiner (Achilles) for the immediate future.

Speaking to AFL.com.au at the Lions' season launch, Payne said he knew the coming season presented a great chance to not only nail down his spot, but have an impact on winning games.

"The past few years I've been fighting to get that opportunity against Marcus and 'Dizzy' (Gardiner). It's really disappointing for Marcus to go down, he's been a great member of the team, but it presents a great opportunity and one I'm very much looking forward to," Payne said.

"I feel like the more games I play, the better I'm gelling with the back six and my teammates and getting greater belief. I just feel like I belong.

"That's going to be the task for me this year, playing a full AFL season, because past years I've been in and out. It's going to be a big year and I can't wait."

Payne has played 27 games in the past three seasons, which have included five finals. He was called into the 2020 preliminary final against Geelong after Gardiner was a late scratching, and the following year against the Western Bulldogs in a semi-final he was asked to play as a forward to cover the losses of Eric Hipwood and Dan McStay.

Last year following the concussion to Adams against Carlton in round 21, he played the final five games.

Payne's pre-season hasn't been without hiccups though, as the Brisbane Academy product decided to get his tonsils removed, on the advice of doctors.

Over the past 15 months the tonsils would become inflamed, causing him to feel run down, lethargic and "not wanting to move off the couch".

He had the procedure in mid-to-late January. Barely able to eat or drink over the ensuing days, Payne lost 5kg from his 104kg frame.

"After day five I started to progress, but it was a long week," he said.

Not only did Payne need the next two weeks to slowly put the weight back on, which he did, he also had to avoid contact, as any knock to the throat could cause complications.

After playing in the final Lions' intraclub, and marking everything that came in his zone, the man born on Queensland's Sunshine Coast got both pre-season games in and excelled.

He said backline coach Jed Adcock and new development coach Dale Morris had played a big part over the past few months.

"I've been sitting down with those guys and doing my edits from each game, and they've been helping me a lot and giving me pointers," he said.

"Those guys I can rely on heavily.

"Dale Morris was a ruthless defender, you'd hate to play on him as a forward. He's got so many ideas that I'm learning off him.

"Coming into round one the club's in a fantastic position, and I can't wait for next Saturday."

Fagan Backs Jack To Be A Payne For Curnow

jack-payne.png

As Jack Payne prepares for one of the toughest assignments in the AFL on Friday night, Brisbane coach Chris Fagan says the defender's growing belief in his own ability has helped establish him at the highest level.

Payne has played all seven games in 2023 as a key defender – taking him to 34 games in his young career – and formed a strong relationship alongside co-captain Harris Andrews.

At Marvel Stadium on Friday night, the 23-year-old is likely to man Carlton's Charlie Curnow, fresh off nine goals against West Coast and equal with Jeremy Cameron (30 goals) in the Coleman Medal race.

There's not many greater challenges in the competition at the moment, but speaking on Thursday at Brisbane Airport prior to his team's flight south, Fagan said there was no reason Payne could not continue his strong form.

"He's just looking confident, isn't he?" Fagan said.

"That continuity, the fact he played in all the finals last year, he's starting to believe in himself and feels like he belongs at AFL level.

"He's played on some pretty decent players this year and has done a great job. I can't see why he can't continue that tomorrow night."

Although Payne had already showed he was good enough to play in the AFL, the door was swung wide open for a regular run of games after Marcus Adams was put on the inactive list with ongoing concussion problems.

Payne could man either Curnow or Harry McKay against the Blues, with his 197cm and 101kg frame possessing good speed and strength.

The Queensland product has lost just three of his 18 contested defensive one-on-ones this season.

"I think he's always had the ability to intercept mark and spoil like he has," Fagan said.

"I think maybe he just doubted himself a little bit, so the transition in his own mind now that he belongs at AFL level is the thing that's changed him around.

"That's always the case with young players, a lot of them have ability, it's just do they really believe they belong? And I think that's what's happened with Jack."

Jack Payne’s confidence continues to grow with the help of Lions star Harris Andrews

Lions strongman Jack Payne says the “synergy” he has developed with Lions co-captain Harris Andrews has been crucial to his growing belief that he belongs at AFL level.

Payne was superb in shutting down Coleman medallist Charlie Curnow in the Lions’ 26-point win over Carlton last Friday night.

It was Payne’s 13th successive match across two seasons. and with each appearance, the 23-year-old Sunshine Coast product grows in confidence.

“Playing every week helps,” Payne said ahead of Brisbane’s battle with Essendon at the Gabba on Saturday night.

“Self-belief for me at the moment is really strong, and the more games I’m playing, the better off I’m going to get.”

Payne was grateful for the support he had received from Andrews, a fellow Queenslander and another product of the Lions academy.

“He’s been awesome, Harris,” Payne said.

“We both graduated from the Brisbane Lions academy. He was maybe three or four years ahead of me, so as a junior I tracked his development.

“He’s an exceptional player, a two-time All-Australian, so to learn off him has been awesome for my game and I feel like we’ve got a really good partnership out on the field.

“We’re working really well together … and the more games we play together, the better we’re going to be and (I) feel like our synergy is really good at the moment.”

As Payne’s confidence increases, so does his belief that he can also contribute to Brisbane’s attacking forays by taking intercept marks rather than merely being a defensive spoiler.

“Early days, I probably always would have spoiled the ball, but now, if I think I’m in a good position, I’m going to go for my intercept marks,” he said.

“It helps the team to rebound forward and get the ball moving forward, so if I’m in the right position, I’m going to back myself in.”

Payne trained strongly on Tuesday at Springfield, as did Lions veteran Dayne Zorko, who is pushing hard for an earlier than expected return from a hamstring injury.

The Lions are aiming for a sixth successive win this weekend, with Payne predicting Brisbane’s defence would face a “different” challenge in nullifying Essendon’s forward line.

“Kyle (Langford) played a great game on the weekend against Port (Adelaide), and (Jake) Stringer is their X-factor, so it’s going to be another tough game,” he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“We had to make it”: Fagan reveals why Lions couldn’t pick Payne for Grand Final

Chris Fagan says he simply couldn’t pick Jack Payne to play in Saturday’s Grand Final given the Brisbane defender’s lack of training in recent weeks.

Payne missed the Preliminary Final win with an ankle injury he had been battling in recent weeks and was thought to be right in the mix to play on Saturday.

But Fagan revealed the 23-year-old only trained fully on Thursday and a risk couldn’t be taken.

“There’s always hard luck stories in Grand Finals. For Jack, it was just difficult because it’s all about timing sometimes and the truth is if he played tomorrow, it’d be his second game in five weeks… and he wasn’t able to train fully until Thursday,” Fagan told SEN Tassie Breakfast

“He worked his backside off to give himself a chance, there’s no doubt about that, but when you’re a coach… it just felt like not the right thing to do to throw him into a Grand Final on the back of one full training session in three weeks.

“As tough as that call is, we had to make it.”

The selection news is heartbreak for Payne, who has played 23 in 2023, his first season consistently in the best 22.

“I think Jack Payne will become one of the really good, top line key defenders in the competition over the next 10 years and I’m pretty sure he understands why we made the call we did,” Fagan continued.

But the Brisbane coach did add that Darcy Gardiner’s form last week made it an easier decision.

Gardiner has played 157 games for the Lions and the experienced campaigner held Coleman Medallist Charlie Curnow to just one goal in Brisbane’s 16-point win.

“Darcy played well, there’s no doubt about that. He kept the best goalkicker in the country to one goal… it’s our team defence (too),” Fagan said.

Payne joins Collingwood’s Dan McStay and Taylor Adams as first choice players who will miss the Grand Final.

Billy Frampton replacing McStay is one of the Magpies’ two changes, with Patrick Lipinski relegated to sub and Jack Ginnivan in the 22 Craig McRae’s other decision.

Brisbane enters its biggest game in over a decade unchanged.

Payne Hoping To Keep Building On Form Steak

It should come as little surprise that Jack Payne's return to form over the past fortnight has coincided with Brisbane reversing its early season struggles.

Payne was dropped following the Lions' shock Opening Round loss to Carlton after Charlie Curnow kicked four goals in a hurry to spark a Blues revival.

It was a big decision for coach Chris Fagan, known for his loyalty to established players, after Payne had a breakout 2023.

The key defender said it was "disappointing" to be omitted.

"After sitting down and talking to him (Fagan) about it, I was fully understanding of his decision," Payne said on Thursday morning.

"I just had to go back to the twos and find my belief again.

"I feel like I did that and over the past two weeks I've found my form of last season and hopefully I can keep building."

Payne played one game in the VFL before being recalled to face Collingwood on Easter Thursday following injuries to Darcy Gardiner and luckless Tom Doedee.

Since then, he kept All-Australian Nick Larkey quiet in a win over North Melbourne and did likewise against Ben Brown in the Lions' strong victory over Melbourne a week ago.

Payne has now settled in alongside Harris Andrews and Ryan Lester in the key defensive posts and faces a huge challenge against a Geelong forward line equipped with Jeremy Cameron, Tom Hawkins and Ollie Henry at the Gabba on Saturday night.

The Lions will be without injured Zac Bailey, but co-captain Lachie Neale is expected to overcome an ankle niggle that has hindered him in the past few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back