News Jaidyn Stephenson set to return to competitive footy this week

Remove this Banner Ad

it may not sit right to some but i believe i heard he was not suspended by the afl tribunal like someone getting done for striking if he was he wouldnt be able to play in the vfl this week. he was suspended by another judicial system (afl integrity process) wich suspended him for matches not weeks.

This is exactly the situation.

Matches not Weeks.

It's really not that hard to grasp.

Sam Murray would be in a similar position.
Say for example his suspension is over on a Saturday at 11:59pm and Collingwood seniors played Saturday afternoon but the 2's play on the Sunday, he would be eligible to play VFL on Sunday.

I think this is the hardest thing to understand about it all.

EITHER no-one has thought to ask the question before.
OR people have asked the question before and got knocked back.

I think one of these options is much more likely than the other.
How often would it have arisen and would a club really care a lot in the middle of the year? I am sure that if a club had been knocked back the would have made that known now.

This thread is full of dumb.

The issue here is with the afl and there two different rules. inability to play via the mro/tribunal and inability to play via the integrity department.

Cases via mro/tribunal are (using your text) - ineligible to play at any level on any weekend when his AFL suspension was applicable,

Cases via integrity department are afl games only. Once the number of afl games are up, free to play.

All the posts in here citing mro/tribunal cases as precedent are irrelevant.
Lol that explanation has only come out after this fiasco
“The AFL aren’t doing anything dodgy - see they even said it themselves”

Lol that explanation has only come out after this fiasco
“The AFL aren’t doing anything dodgy - see they even said it themselves”
Exactly. Why would tribunal and integrity department suspensions have different rules if they are both ultimately controlled by the one body (AFL)? And was this different treatment documented publicly before the situation arose this week?

Exactly. Why would tribunal and integrity department suspensions have different rules if they are both ultimately controlled by the one body (AFL)? And was this different treatment documented publicly before the situation arose this week?
Think they run under the same vague rules that allow for the AFL to choose whichever interpretation suits their agenda.
Similar to the rules of the game really.

This is exactly the situation.

Matches not Weeks.

It's really not that hard to grasp.

Sam Murray would be in a similar position.
Say for example his suspension is over on a Saturday at 11:59pm and Collingwood seniors played Saturday afternoon but the 2's play on the Sunday, he would be eligible to play VFL on Sunday.

All MRP reports list suspensions as matches, not weeks. Good on Collingwood for asking but its just AFL making s**t up on the run again, rinse and repeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going solely by the wording of the original AFL sanction...
He was to miss 10 matches of AFL and could no play VFL during that period.
It's not my fault or the clubs or even the AFL's if people fail at comprehension.

In the end it really just amazes me how invested so many people are in everything to do with Collingwood.

Not remotely opposition supporters, that is their thing, but allegedly unbiased media types who stake their reps on balance.
Where was the furore when Abblett clearly gets off successive weeks on the sideline?

More to the point where was the furore over Stephenson getting 22 matches in the first place?

Just have a quick gander at every other sanction for betting on games in the last 20 years. Apart from the other Pies player who got shafted, who else has been harder hit.
fu** the AFL.
They have always been biased.
Just in this case it can be construed as having "assisted" Collingwood, despite having been exactly the sanction imposed, so now it's a big deal.
WTF...do you live under a rock or are you a new to BF, The Ablett getting off so easily twice (should have been suspended both times IMO bit because of his name he wasn't) was all over the board on here, how could you have missed it?
As for the media personalities having an opinion...it's what their payed to do in a situation like this, give their differing opinions, Derm says he was hit too hard and it's ok they've found a dodgy loophole to get him back, do you think he should not voice that?
Others disagree and that's the way it should be or it'd be pretty boring viewing/listening

Could you imagine them spelling this out at the time?

“Jaidyn the cheat may be allowed to play VFL in round 23 if we decide the schedule Collingwood vs Essendon on Friday night but not if we schedule it on Saturday or Sunday.”

SPP was allowed to play in the SANFL last year whilst suspended from AFL and it wasn't even this funny timing situation we have with Stephenson. SPP played SANFL on a Wednesday (Anzac Day) whilst being ineligible to play AFL on the following weekend. Not sure if VFL has same rules as SANFL, I would have thought it would be covered by AFL rules.

"When a player breaches the laws of the game because of an on-field incident, the match penalty for the player applies to all competitions," it said.
"However, matters of disciplinary sanction, such as inappropriate off-field behaviour, are not subject to the same requirement.

As a Collingwood fan clearly I'm happy that Stephenson gets to play 1 VFL game before finals.

As a footy fan - this is a bit fishy, but its not the first or last time the AFL (esp. Gil) makes questionable decisions.
Absolutely question the AFL. But you can't blame Collingwood for asking - and now the precedent has been set for all future "integrity" suspensions. If that's how the AFL want to play it then it will now apply to all clubs.

It is also not the first or last time that clubs will try to "navigate" the rules to suit them.
(Didn't Hawthorn get some sort of exemption a few years ago to play guys returning from injury in the VFL finals - even though they didnt meet the eligibility critetia?)

"The first thing I would always say is that there has been a distinction between the tribunal, the MRO [match review officer], and the integrity department. They are made by different divisions of the AFL. The MRO is for on-field incidents and made by the football department and the integrity department is for off-field incidents," he said on his weekly spot on 3AW.

"They’ve always had bespoke penalties. Some have been fines, some have been suspensions and ... and they’ve always been different.

"His [Stephenson's] accountability was 10 AFL matches and he couldn't play during that period in the VFL. His 10th match was [against Essendon]."

McLachlan pointed out that Richmond's Nathan Broad and Port Adelaide's Sam Powell-Pepper had been able to play in the state leagues while they served integrity suspensions.
"The system was working well. I think the system is pretty clear and this is a very tough penalty," McLachlan said.
"I think he [Stephenson] has served the accountability of 10 matches and Collingwood has paid the price and Stephenson has paid the price."
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...an-defends-magpie-return-20190823-p52k11.html

12 pages for a bloke effectively playing a practice match...…....….never change bigfooty. :drunk:

Must be a very important game he's playing in for all this controversy?
He's going to get match simulation at training anyway even if he doesn't play VFL. Shame on him and the club for trying to put him in the best position to perform as possible.

SPP was allowed to play in the SANFL last year whilst suspended from AFL and it wasn't even this funny timing situation we have with Stephenson. SPP played SANFL on a Wednesday (Anzac Day) whilst being ineligible to play AFL on the following weekend. Not sure if VFL has same rules as SANFL, I would have thought it would be covered by AFL rules.

"When a player breaches the laws of the game because of an on-field incident, the match penalty for the player applies to all competitions," it said.
"However, matters of disciplinary sanction, such as inappropriate off-field behaviour, are not subject to the same requirement.

Interesting, so now we have yet another different ruling. Based on the SPP one Stephenson could've been playing VFL for the past 10 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back