Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
create profiles with no reason? i don't even know what this means but i created a profile to talk about footy.

i'd rather have any of those players than lloyd. i'm not bagging him anymore than others bag reid, cunningham towers etc... it is not personal though most people with a differing point of view on here act like he is there only child. i just don't think he has what we need.

mclean is a mid forward, dunkley a mid forward, palmer plays for carlton and is also a mid forward, hopper is a mid forward. griffen! wilson along with griffen (ocassionally) are the only ones who play at half back like lloyd does now. wilson has pace and a damaging kick. this is what i believe we need.

daniel is the only one who comes close but i still think he has more upside and is a better kick than lloyd.

I stick up for Reid constantly however it's hard to argue with the criticisms of Towers & Cunningham. Lloyd plays at half-back because that is where we need him at the moment due to our midfield depth but there's no reason he couldn't play permanently as an outside mid or half-forward flanker.

Anyway about Lloyd's kicking... I think Bonz may have hit the nail on the head actually, he seems to be a better kick on the run than standing still. Will have a look out for this the next time he plays.

I felt very confident when he had the ball in his first year but then he had second year drop off in 2015. 7th in the 2016 Bob Skilton Medal has the coaches rating him higher than Tom Mitchell. I think that would get him into the 22 of any other team in the competition.

I felt very confident when he had the ball in his first year but then he had second year drop off in 2015. 7th in the 2016 Bob Skilton Medal has the coaches rating him higher than Tom Mitchell. I think that would get him into the 22 of any other team in the competition.

Lloyd>>>Tom Mitchell.

Swansfan51 has fainted.
Punts is lost for words.
TheKing is ropeable.

Anyway about Lloyd's kicking... I think Bonz may have hit the nail on the head actually, he seems to be a better kick on the run than standing still. Will have a look out for this the next time he plays.
On a similar not LRT was good at making decisions when he didn't have to think about them. Lloyd's instincts are good but nerves are what gets him

Last edited:
But now we have Plugger, so I think we can expect that to improve!

As a neutral I rate jake highly. A prediction that some will laugh at. He will average above 25 disposals per game and push Heath shaw for AA selection. If you don't want him please send him towards bomber land
You don't know what you've got til it's gone. Lloyd has plenty of class. He's not a hard nut but his performances on average definitely have him in the best 22.

yep, gws, bulldogs etc would all be licking their lips at the prospect. but seriously not even carlton or brisbane would be bothered with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep, gws, bulldogs etc would all be licking their lips at the prospect. but seriously not even carlton or brisbane would be bothered with him.

Go back through every premiership team in history and guarantee there's at least a few who weren't stars, had flaws in their game but played a role. In 2014 we had elite players who were just about the best in the comp for their positions across every line. It got us nowhere because even though they were A-graders we lacked that consistency. Lloyd delivers every week no matter the occasion, and even if he's imperfect, that consistency is hard to find from a player with just three years senior experience under his belt. He can only get better.

Lloyd>>>Tom Mitchell.

Swansfan51 has fainted.
Punts is lost for words.
TheKing is ropeable.

What I wrote, "7th in the 2016 Bob Skilton Medal has the coaches rating him higher than Tom Mitchell."

What you wrote, "Lloyd>>>Tom Mitchell".

Is what you wrote what you thought I meant? or was it your opinion?

To make it very clear, I do not think a higher rating in the Bob Skilton medal makes him a better player. I do think that 7th in the Bob Skilton medal in the team that won the Minor Premiership and played off in the Grand Final would be sufficient to get him in the best 22 of every other team in the competition in a general sense. I would point out that if he was 'moved' into another list then that list would have to lose a player and it's most likely that that team's list managers would lose a similar type of player and Jake would be better than the replaced player.

Not knocking Lloyd but I reckon the coaches might have been death-riding Mitchell. Didn't seem to be a lot of love for him anyway. My major issue with Lloyd WAS how easily he was knocked off the ball. He has improved but still a bit too easy to manhandle. Physical thing, not mental. As to his kicking distance, that's structural. If his instruction is to keep possession he will kick to the best placed person he can see, not to a contest. That might be 25 metres away. Coaching issue. Most of his kickins are to a mid at 20-25 metres. He's not Malceski!

Not knocking Lloyd but I reckon the coaches might have been death-riding Mitchell. Didn't seem to be a lot of love for him anyway. My major issue with Lloyd WAS how easily he was knocked off the ball. He has improved but still a bit too easy to manhandle. Physical thing, not mental. As to his kicking distance, that's structural. If his instruction is to keep possession he will kick to the best placed person he can see, not to a contest. That might be 25 metres away. Coaching issue. Most of his kickins are to a mid at 20-25 metres. He's not Malceski!
Or they might have felt Mitchell failed to add to the role and failed to do what he was told. The coaches rate the players off of what they want them to do and how they do it.

his kicking distance is structural or he is not malceski? if the former do you mean to say any player can kick as long or short as they like depending on instructions from the coach? the only reason a player would be told to kick shorter rather than longer is beacuse they cannot make the longer kick. i agree with the latter.

What I wrote, "7th in the 2016 Bob Skilton Medal has the coaches rating him higher than Tom Mitchell."

To make it very clear, I do not think a higher rating in the Bob Skilton medal makes him a better player. I do think that 7th in the Bob Skilton medal in the team that won the Minor Premiership and played off in the Grand Final would be sufficient to get him in the best 22 of every other team in the competition in a general sense. I would point out that if he was 'moved' into another list then that list would have to lose a player and it's most likely that that team's list managers would lose a similar type of player and Jake would be better than the replaced player.

the skilton medal is not a great way of looking at these things. Craig Bird waves hi everytime this measure gets used.

its better to simply say that lloyd performs his role regularly. that doesnt make him a world beater (and imho he's not) but he is reliable. and a team with kennedy, buddy etc needs a few reliable foot soldiers as well

I can't help myself & need to say this. Premiership teams have NEVER been represented by 22 out & out stars that go on to play 200 games at their club.
It's an early call I know but without Sam Mitchell, Hawthorn look a shadow of that cocky team if their games in the pre-season are anything to go by. They suddenly look vulnerable in the middle, even with the addition of Tom Mitchell & JOM. Then throw the loss of Lewis into the mix. They'll be around the mark but I don't think they'll trouble the top four.

Bateman, Gilham, Ladson, Osbourne, Renouf, Young are in that 2008 p'ship team but never really went on to too many bigger things. But these guys were critical for that particular p'ship assault.

Bird, Reid, Morton, part of our 2012 p'ship team. Morton was done not long after, Bird was a victim of our already slow midfield & Reid has yet a chance to add to his games tally.

We joke & laugh at these players but someone like Bird was critical to us for the way we played back in 2012. He was a terrific contributor that season.
Lloyd is a little different to this type of player because he is an obvious coach favourite because he is prepared to & capable of playing a number of roles, depending on the particular game, or a particular moment within a game. If asked to go forward or wing or back, he will & can do it with no fuss. If asked to take the kick in he will do the job, though occasionally miss a target. The coaches will wear that because his upside & versatility within a game is elite in our team. He can run all day.

Lloyd will never be an out & out star because he doesn't do the spectacular things but he will be that critical cog in our team if we were to strike for another p'ship soon.

There is an argument to be made that Lloyd>>>>>Mitchell but that would be comparing apples to oranges.
And some people think Mitchell will be a great loss and we will suffer for it, so any suggestion that anyone >>> Mitchell is laughed off with contempt.

I should have mentioned, most importantly, Lloyd won't demand 500K per year but should he hold his form & ultimately, his regular position in the best 22, he will be able to command 350-400K in his later co0ntracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back