Jake Neade - Excitement Machine

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Krakouer was different though. He was easily good enough to play AFL he just didn't have the mental capacity.

Also the difference between Neade and Irons/Thompson is that Neade was actually rated fairly highly before he was drafted (or traded in his case). Thompson and Irons were both speculative rookie selections.

Where would have he been rated in the draft he got to it ??

AA U18

MVP Div 2 State champs

would've been a third/late pick

if slid early rookie

On talent alone he would have been ranked around the pick we gave away but like many other vertically challenged juniors he probably would have slid due to his height. So when combined with Hombsch you would have to say on paper we made a killing with that trade. Time will tell the actual results though...

The pick wound up with Hawthorn who drafted Tim O'Brien. Judging by the pause and scurrying at the Port table after that pick, I assumed we were going to draft O'Brien.

Clurey looks every bit as good a prospect as O'Brien though. And we have Hombsch as well.

The pick wound up with Hawthorn who drafted Tim O'Brien. Judging by the pause and scurrying at the Port table after that pick, I assumed we were going to draft O'Brien.

Clurey looks every bit as good a prospect as O'Brien though. And we have Hombsch as well.

I would have thought we'd grab Clurey regardless - Mason Shaw was probably who came into play after Hawks landed O'Brien. I'm more than happy with that result however.

What was Wade Thompsons junior credentials like pre draft? This story has a familiar tune? Hopefully a much better ending. Saying that Neade appears to be a more natural player than Thompson, Wade just had speed on his side.

What was Wade Thompsons junior credentials like pre draft? This story has a familiar tune? Hopefully a much better ending. Saying that Neade appears to be a more natural player than Thompson, Wade just had speed on his side.
Thompson, Irons, Hitchcock, Krakouer and Neade are all completely different players and none can/should be compared to each other. Pehaps the only two that may come close comparison wise are Hitchcock and Neade but even that would be stretching it.

I don't think thompson was AA U18 and all the other accolades Neade has to date, however.

The boys on 360 gave him a fair go. Hall and Mooney like the way he moved, Robbo tried to sound intelligent and Gerard had no idea what they were talking about.

The boys on 360 gave him a fair go. Hall and Mooney like the way he moved, Robbo tried to sound intelligent and Gerard had no idea what they were talking about.

Apt synopsis that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing with Neade is he's tough and dedicated.

Can't say the same for Krakouer & Thompson.

Currently Neade is not in our best 22, close but not quite there yet IMO. I do not see too many games this year and in a way I hope he doesn't play too many too early and get burned out at the start of what could be a very long career.

In the future Neade has the ability to be (for the full 4 quarters) an Hitchcock type with the tenacity of BMT and the zippiness/unpredictability of Rodan. He also seems to have superior skills and vision.
We now need to wait and see how his body develops as he is still very young and raw but by cripes he seems to have the potential to be a superstar of the game.

IMO if he develops well he also has the chance of scoring heaps of BL points as his gamestyle is one that gets noticed.

He's so shy but I love this kid.. deserves his spot in round 1

Imagine playing on him I would be panicking the whole time, either worrying about giving away a free because high contact or about him suddenly disappearing on you.. the kids that zippy

The name Neade does not appear on the SANFL website as a member of the Magpie's side vs Norwood tomorrow night, so it would appear he'll be running onto the MCG on Easter Sunday.
Helluva thrill for the young bloke.
He is to be thoroughly congratulated on being who he is.

Also to be congratulated are the recruiters who negotiated his trade from GWS along with Jack Hombsch for the same draft pick. Clever, insightful work.
Congrats too to the coaching and management staff who've brought him to this point.
This applies whether Jake actually plays on Sunday or not.

I think back to watching the precocious magic of Cyril Rioli light up the big screen in the Sportsmans Bar of the Hong Kong Football Club during the 2008 Grand Final... then I look ahead in anticipation of us seeing something similar from Jake.
Speculation, I know. Even whimsy. Call it what you like, it makes me smile to myself. I just got a feeling.

Very best of luck, young man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back