Player Watch Jake Soligo - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt he will get the nom this week but I feel like he deserves a nomination this year. His body of work has been pretty impressive for a first-year player.

A "body of work" nomination usually requires the player to have had a standout game that didn't win a nomination that week because someone else had an even more standout game, as well as a relatively consistent season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be Cumberland from Richmond this week because body of work only counts so the VFL can pick their favorites.
5 goals in a tight win is going to get the nom 9 times out of 10. Cumberland Soligo has been good, but he's just been unlucky two players have kicked bags of 5 in the past couple of rounds/

5 goals in a tight win is going to get the nom 9 times out of 10. Cumberland Soligo has been good, but he's just been unlucky two players have kicked bags of 5 in the past couple of rounds/
I hope it's Jake's turn to kick 5 goals this weekend 😜👍

Why not if the cap fits...it certainly gets a regular run on this board
You know what the beef is though. Its not only the mix but the quality of player. No one is complaining about Soligo because he can play. No one would be complaining now had we gone Serong over McAsey because he can play. But Hamish has used first round picks on smalls that cant play very well in Jones, McHenry and Gallucci.

You also know we have to have balance, you cant have a midfield of just smalls and you know that.

You know what the beef is though. Its not only the mix but the quality of player. No one is complaining about Soligo because he can play. No one would be complaining now had we gone Serong over McAsey because he can play. But Hamish has used first round picks on smalls that cant play very well in Jones, McHenry and Gallucci.

You also know we have to have balance, you cant have a midfield of just smalls and you know that.
We've also got Hately who is big... and can't play.
(Although he's clearly an inside mid, and we never put him there for a long enough stint).

So, fundamentally, maybe we should get footballers who are good at... football?

Seen a few player comparisons in game style to young Jake over the weekend - Ben Cousins, Sam Mitchell - to name a few. I personally dont see either of those as they seemed to have different weapons with their elite gut running and dual sided footskills

I always find it funny when the player comparison is a Brownlow Medallist or 300 game champion . So with that in mind, the 'gamestyle' I see that lines up best with Soligo is Joel Selwood. Hes not overly fast, or a booming kick or have any initial standout weapons that you see him use as his 1 wood. He just wins contests with his hardness and then uses it so well with class under pressure. He thinks quick, rarely gets out positioned and just looks a winner. There is so much to like.

We've also got Hately who is big... and can't play.
(Although he's clearly an inside mid, and we never put him there for a long enough stint).

So, fundamentally, maybe we should get footballers who are good at... football?
Thats my point, they primarily have to be able to play. But you need a mix, that's just stating a fact.

Thats my point, they primarily have to be able to play. But you need a mix, that's just stating a fact.
Maybe we should focus on playing ability first, and forget about their height. Speed, skill, decision making and evasion are much more important than size IMO.

Seen a few player comparisons in game style to young Jake over the weekend - Ben Cousins, Sam Mitchell - to name a few. I personally dont see either of those as they seemed to have different weapons with their elite gut running and dual sided footskills

I always find it funny when the player comparison is a Brownlow Medallist or 300 game champion . So with that in mind, the 'gamestyle' I see that lines up best with Soligo is Joel Selwood. Hes not overly fast, or a booming kick or have any initial standout weapons that you see him use as his 1 wood. He just wins contests with his hardness and then uses it so well with class under pressure. He thinks quick, rarely gets out positioned and just looks a winner. There is so much to like.
He’s a tougher Tyson edwards imo

Ben Cunnington style wise perhaps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back