Jamar & Naitanui

Remove this Banner Ad

For gods sake, can we stop comparing Naita and Watts?

I think Naita will be a star.
HOWEVER. He is nearly the most overhyped player in the league. I mean commentators cream when he hits a target by foot when you expect all AFL players to be able to do this. He has plenty of potential and has already shown a bit. Watts also has loads of potential but hasn't shown as much. Why? He is about 15kg lighter than Naita, plays in a far worse team and in a MUCH harder position.

I'm prepared to wait 3-4 years for Watts to start realising his potential, because realistically with KP forwards that is how long it will take.

If Watts becomes a gun CHF I would much rather a gun CHF over a gun ruckman anyway.

No doubt you have a red card coming your way Trent, for suggesting such a ludicrous belief! How dare you question the poor private school boy who is already managing UP TO 60% game time in the Casey Magoos over some weird lookin fella who is jumping around all crazily and fluking over 9/10 of the hitouts to team mates and setting up multiple goals by pure chance - and those 3 blind turns he did? Clearly drunk. So we also avoided an alcho as well!

Give the poor Brighton boy a chance! He's only the same age as Bastinac, Trengove, and all the other hacks who prove that Jack's age group can't handle senior footy yet..
I mean, come on! The poor kid had to decide if he wanted to play footy or basketball! That means he's a gun!

Der!

It's not like Jack had everything handed to him on a silver platter! NO! His mum and dad had to work hard for him to drive that BMW he drove to school on his L's in year 12! Next you'll be telling me that he dominated school boy footy because he was much taller than the rest of the boys, but now isn't developing at a rate the club was expecting!

And I bet you all money that you were one of these LOSERS who wanted Naitanui at the club during the draft. Egg on your face now! HA!

i like you. i wrote the same thing a couple of days ago and my thread got closed..

I wouldn't think any Melbourne fan wants Watts to fail mate. Opposition fans on the other hand...

umm.. i kind of wouldnt mind if he failed.. he has massive tickets on himself

For gods sake, can we stop comparing Naita and Watts?

I think Naita will be a star.
HOWEVER. He is nearly the most overhyped player in the league. I mean commentators cream when he hits a target by foot when you expect all AFL players to be able to do this. He has plenty of potential and has already shown a bit. Watts also has loads of potential but hasn't shown as much. Why? He is about 15kg lighter than Naita, plays in a far worse team and in a MUCH harder position.

I'm prepared to wait 3-4 years for Watts to start realising his potential, because realistically with KP forwards that is how long it will take.

If Watts becomes a gun CHF I would much rather a gun CHF over a gun ruckman anyway.

the ladder says we are at the same level as WCE??

and even if we are worse like you say, that means watts cant even get a game in the worst team in the comp and NN can get one in a much better team.. bad call, fail call, uninformed call

Have to agree with davey_magic above. Watched the game last night and NikNat did some crazy things, especially when he clears his own ruck work, that's great to watch. But **** me, the way Cometti Bruce and Harley were carrying on you would think he was the only player out there.

Still, to think he's only 19 and having that kind of impact already, he's gonna be awesome.

I bet Barry Prendergast knew before the draft that NikNat was a freak and would be outperforming Watts up until April 2010. But he looked at the bigger picture and selected a homegrown 17 year old key forward with immense potential. Will it be the correct decision? If Watts plays a key role in our next Premiership, then bloody oath it will be, regardless of how NikNat goes. The Hodge-Judd comparison is a good one. Judd has had the better career, but Hodge was a Norm Smith medalist in 2008. Hawks made the correct call.

I doubt there are many Hawthorn fans who have regretted the decision to draft Hodge over Judd. Even though Judd has had a better career, Hodge is a superstar and has helped deliver them a premiership. That's all you can ask for.

Hopefully it will be the same case for us; Watts becomes a star, Melbourne wins a flag, and Naitanui can do whatever he likes.

i like you. i wrote the same thing a couple of days ago and my thread got closed..

There was a reason, because you absolutely no argument.

You said in your other thread that you didn't know Jack, so may I ask how you know he has "massive tickets on himself"?

the ladder says we are at the same level as WCE??

and even if we are worse like you say, that means watts cant even get a game in the worst team in the comp and NN can get one in a much better team.. bad call, fail call, uninformed call

He's building up match fitness after returning from injury, once he gets a few games under his belt at Casey and gets some match fitness and match form he'll get a game.

You're a big boy, stop being a victim.
You wouldn't mind if Watts fails? I'm starting to believe you're not a Melbourne supporter.

As for this thread, at this stage I think Nicknat has clearly shown he has the ability to be a future star in the comp.

Watts will need to have a very good career or we will have made the wrong choice, but that is true whether Naitanui was pick 2 or not. If pick 1 doesn't have a very good career it is a failure of a pick, simple as that. We will know in a few years.

Is it just me or are smug internet cnts everywhere dying for Watts to fail just so they can do "I told you so" posts?

God yes, people can't wait for Watts to fail.

Am getting sick of the wankfest by every commentator over Naitanui; he is unbelievable in some of the things that he does - he tackles, gets clearances, contested possessions he's probably already the best ruckman in the comp in these things which is pretty scary when you think of the improvement he has in him. He also is a terrible mark for a ruckman and his kicking is a bit suspect but obviously his kicking will improve. Fact is he had 12 touches and 18 hitouts last night, a pretty good game from a 19 year old ruckman (although he looks like he is fully built) but not the second coming of JC like the commentators would make you believe.

I was on the Naitanui bandwagon before the draft but until Watts proves he's a dud and a worse player than Benny Hollands corpse circa 07 then I'll back the club and hope that in a few years Watts is kicking goals out of his arse and we can stick it up everybody

I'm confident that Watts will show why he was regarded as the top pick, Roughy took a few years, but he is awesome now.

Nait is a really good player with a special set of skills, but its the ceiling of Watts that gives me hope.

I was having a similar conversation yesterday with a Melb supporter on his way into the game, except the question was NitNat or Trengove on the premises that Watts only entered the 2008 draft as an underaged recruit because Melb committed to taking him with #1. If they however let him stay in the TAC for another year they could have grabbed NitNat with #1 in 2008 and in 2009 grabbed Watts with #1 in and, presumably, Scully with #2. This would be the loss of a star midfielder for the gain of a potential star ruck who would bring in the excitement and big crowds that Melbourne are crying out for.

Why is it that no-one has any faith in Watts? As Dez! as said time and time again...
IT TAKES ****ING TIME! Give the guy a chance ffs!

Naita is on fire right now, but Watts is our next full forward, give the guy a break and let him develop!

Not only that, but if we had of taken Naita it would have ended in a Thompson fashion; he would of cried homesick and we'd be left with nothing when he left. Be Patient!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree - Jamar has beaten most of his opponents this year quite easily. Do we really need to beat the same opponent twice with another ruckman. I think Jamar thrives on the solo ruck with only short rests.

And as far as Watts is concerned I feel confident he will repay our faith in him. If not we got burned.

As far as having massive tickets on himself, anyone remember a certain A. Jacovich. Talk about an ego yet he also delivered big time. Even if only for a few years due to injury. I will take ego (which could also just be self confidence instead of arrogance) and a forward that delivers over a "I'm only part of the team" type that doesn't deliver.

DL

I have no doubt we made the correct decision. I feel that NicNat would have ended up doing a Scott Thompson on us and ended up at West Coast anyway.
You said in your other thread that you didn't know Jack
You rang?

Was just interesting stats on one week at a time. Although people are creaming at niknat, jamar is 90% in disposal efficiency as well as other things but also just 2nd in hitouts. Was watts the tight choice? Who knows. But we needed a forward and not a ruckman

Why is it that no-one has any faith in Watts? As Dez! as said time and time again...
IT TAKES ****ING TIME! Give the guy a chance ffs!

Naita is on fire right now, but Watts is our next full forward, give the guy a break and let him develop!

Not only that, but if we had of taken Naita it would have ended in a Thompson fashion; he would of cried homesick and we'd be left with nothing when he left. Be Patient!

Luke Hodge, Bredon Goddard and Adam Cooney are examples of number 1 picks who have taken their time, patience people!

I think Watts will probably be a valuable player, but he will not be a Naitanui.

Naitanui is one of those players you enjoy watching regardless of thier club colours, like Franklin, Carey or Ablett.

As good as Jamar has been, as good as Scully and Trengove will ever be, we will never have Naitanui, and we could have. Its sad whichever way you cut it. Just think about what he wouldve brought to the club. The central figure of any promotion, not to mention getting people through the turnstyles to watch him play. The way I look at it, he is changing ruckwork, will become a pioneer of the game. To be that tall, to be able to run that fast, its absolutely majestic to watch. I know noone here wants to admit, but we know we've made a quite terrible mistake. The recruiters responsible should be sacked. I mean it.

Watching him interviewed on Friday night, he seems an absolute ripper bloke as well. How we passed on this guy for someone who simply won the Larke Medal (check out the list of dud who have won this award), is a bad error in judgement. Anyone who watched Naita in the U18 carnival could tell, as a ruckman in 5 years, he would be without peer. Heck, even Rich was clearly the best player of that draft. So what exactly was it about Watts that made him a certainty for #1. I mean, the kid can play noone is doubting that, but he should not have gone #1. No way in hell.

I'm confident that Watts will show why he was regarded as the top pick, Roughy took a few years, but he is awesome now.

Nait is a really good player with a special set of skills, but its the ceiling of Watts that gives me hope.

But who would you rather, Roughie or Naitanui? I'd take Naitanui, Im sure Hawthorn would too.

Reality is, Watts will probably only ever be comparable to Roughead. Not a bad feat, but simply, still inferior to what he could have it. And if we chose Watts becuase of 'ceilings' (****ing deadshit recruiter term), why the hell did we not trust in NicNat who had a slight deficiency in his kicking?

I've seen first hand with Tambling what comparisons can do to a footballers confidence.

Imagine Nic Nat playing as a CHF, he would struggle this early in his career IMO. The question is what does or did your club need? unquestionably a CHF, and Watts is the better option, if you wanted a ruckman, then Nic Nat. It's simple really, your team structure will be solid in the future based on recruiting Watts. Anyway you have arguably one of the best rucks going around now, but no CHF.

I've seen first hand with Tambling what comparisons can do to a footballers confidence.

Imagine Nic Nat playing as a CHF, he would struggle this early in his career IMO. The question is what does or did your club need? unquestionably a CHF, and Watts is the better option, if you wanted a ruckman, then Nic Nat. It's simple really, your team structure will be solid in the future based on recruiting Watts. Anyway you have arguably one of the best rucks going around now, but no CHF.

Disagree.

You pick the best available in the draft.

Given the amount of Naitanui bashing in Bay 13 by certain MFC posters (don't get me wrong WCE fans bash Watts in the bay too.. then again so does everyone) threads on Naitanui catch my attention, in particular on the MFC board.

My 2 cents is that the few MFC fans starting to doubt Watts need a reality check.. way too early to be writing off a kid.

Imo the go home factor would have played a huge part in selecting Watts before Naitanui. In a recent interview Naitanui said that MFC called him an hour before the draft and told him they were going with Watts so he was obviously in serious consideration.

That being said i am very, very, very happy that you guys chose Watts and left Naitanui. :)

Disagree.

You pick the best available in the draft.

Given the amount of Naitanui bashing in Bay 13 by certain MFC posters (don't get me wrong WCE fans bash Watts in the bay too.. then again so does everyone) threads on Naitanui catch my attention, in particular on the MFC board.

My 2 cents is that the few MFC fans starting to doubt Watts need a reality check.. way too early to be writing off a kid.

Imo the go home factor would have played a huge part in selecting Watts before Naitanui. In a recent interview Naitanui said that MFC called him an hour before the draft and told him they were going with Watts so he was obviously in serious consideration.

That being said i am very, very, very happy that you guys chose Watts and left Naitanui. :)

Of course they do. You come on here and gloat. Yes, Naitanui is a star, your work here is done.

Goodbye

Of course they do. You come on here and gloat. Yes, Naitanui is a star, your work here is done.

Goodbye

Wasn't sure which part of my post was gloating. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to have Naitanui in our team. All WCE fans are, thats no secret.

Naitanui isn't a star. He has the tools to be a star. Presumably so does Watts given that he was taken at #1.

Maybe you should back your team/recruiters/players instead of bitching and moaning.

Anyway i'll let you argue with your own fans on this one.

Ciao. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back