Traded James Aish (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would it be fair to say that Aish has the highest first year player profile at the lions since 2000? Maybe only Rich on par? Seems to be a lot of talk and love for him from all the other clubs fans.

Would it be fair to say that Aish has the highest first year player profile at the lions since 2000? Maybe only Rich on par? Seems to be a lot of talk and love for him from all the other clubs fans.

Polec was pretty high profile.

Am I the only one finding the ongoing "Aish settling in nicely" articles a little cringeworthy? Feels like I've read the same article repeated about 4 times since we drafted him. It really just comes across as the club still stinging badly from trade week 2013.

While I am confident the club is taking the right steps and that Aish will stay, the only thing that will soothe the wounds and paranoia from the 2013 GoHomeathon is time and a couple of years of good list management.

Am I the only one finding the ongoing "Aish settling in nicely" articles a little cringeworthy? Feels like I've read the same article repeated about 4 times since we drafted him. It really just comes across as the club still stinging badly from trade week 2013.

While I am confident the club is taking the right steps and that Aish will stay, the only thing that will soothe the wounds and paranoia from the 2013 GoHomeathon is time and a couple of years of good list management.
No you are not the only one, I agree 100%. The greater the focus on this from our own club the more others in the media will keep writing about it. It's like being given a free kick at the Lions expense with the authority of the Lions. I'd say it's about time that the "Mummy's Tit Five" are consigned to history and the club moves on looking to the future. This is more pertinent when the leadership and in particular Lepitch has indicated that only one of the five would have been welcomed back anyway.

There have been more than usual, but its not all driven by the club. The media and AFL itself have focused on it, as expected as this draft class is seen as the replacements. Polec was the big name high draft pick, and Aish being from SA also and being a big name down there, they will focus on him especially as a flight risk.

Im confident the club, and the playing group wont let that happen again

I think it has more to do with him slipping to us at 7 more so than just the general hype about him as a player. Was touted as top 3 for so long, to get him at 7 has everyone saying we got a bargin.

No you are not the only one, I agree 100%. The greater the focus on this from our own club the more others in the media will keep writing about it. It's like being given a free kick at the Lions expense with the authority of the Lions. I'd say it's about time that the "Mummy's Tit Five" are consigned to history and the club moves on looking to the future. This is more pertinent when the leadership and in particular Lepitch has indicated that only one of the five would have been welcomed back anyway.

Irel where/when did he say this?

Hi guys, first post.

I agree completely that these articles feel pretty neurotic, but it feels to me like it may be a deliberate effort to lead the reporting agenda. Given the wide disinterest in actual coverage of the Lions, and that the exodus is pretty much the only interesting narrative to a lot of AFL media at the moment, a vacuum in positive grab lines could well be filled with drummed up club in crisis stories. At least this way, people are copy-pasting 'Aish is happy, Lions chuffed'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, first post.

I agree completely that these articles feel pretty neurotic, but it feels to me like it may be a deliberate effort to lead the reporting agenda. Given the wide disinterest in actual coverage of the Lions, and that the exodus is pretty much the only interesting narrative to a lot of AFL media at the moment, a vacuum in positive grab lines could well be filled with drummed up club in crisis stories. At least this way, people are copy-pasting 'Aish is happy, Lions chuffed'.

welcome kevvo

i think the continual references to the 'homesickness' issue confirms how much it has impacted & affected everyone. it is time to move on though, all new recruits are indicating that they have settled in, have no real issues, & have mentioned the increased 'welfare' involvement by those who have been assigned this task
kevvo's point about a vacuum in grab lines ... maybe the onus is on the club to deflect any requests to speak about player welfare from now on (on the basis that enough is enough & it's time to move on) ... and replace them with other information/news-worthy items about how the club is preparing for the new season & who of the new recruits might be making a charge for round one.

Irel where/when did he say this?
Hi hiphy
Now this is from a failing aging memory so it may lack some real accuracy. It may have been in an interview article with Leppa on our club's website. I remember people on this board also speculating which of the five it would have been. I think most concluded that it may have been Longer the player most likely Lappa was willing to welcome back.

It seems like there's been a few, but I can only find the following:

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-01-19/aish-quick-to-settle- (via club)
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-11-28/aish-at-home-in-brisbane (via AAP)
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-11-26/familiarity-for-draftees (via club) - not just Aish-specific

So, that's 2.5 articles on the issue. And one didn't even come from the club - it was possibly a follow-up from the article 2 days prior. There have been probably a few articles in the Murdoch & Fairfax media which make it seem like doubling to quadrupling up. But I don't think it's as bad as people are making it seem. There's bound to be outside interest in the issue given the events of last year.While I'm sure the club are happy to have the noises made I don't think it's been ridiculous amounts of it.

I'd say some people are carrying their own baggage into their assumptions ;)

Hi hiphy
Now this is from a failing aging memory so it may lack some real accuracy. It may have been in an interview article with Leppa on our club's website. I remember people on this board also speculating which of the five it would have been. I think most concluded that it may have been Longer the player most likely Lappa was willing to welcome back.

I remember it similarly but slightly different - specifically he was only concerned about losing one of the five, rather than not welcoming any of them back.

Edit: Found a couple of quotes.

"At this point in time, I am thinking possibly one (of the five) we will retain - Billy is a chance," Leppitsch said of Longer who reportedly received interest from Essendon and St Kilda.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8741180

Leppitsch confirmed his immediate priority was resolving the Lions' "list issues", and that he would contact out-of-contract players - Elliott Yeo, Patrick Karnezis, Jared Polec, Billy Longer, Sam Docherty, James Polkinghorne, Aaron Cornelius and also veteran Brent Staker - to sell his vision for the club.
"I'll do that today, no doubt. It's critically important we get started on that. I'd love to keep every one of the players, let's be honest.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-call-disgruntled-players-20130925-2ude7.html

Thanks dlanod.
I need more of those memory improvement tablets, or was I taking those enlargement pills?:confused:
Whatever I was taking I obviously doubled up on the wrong ones.:D

It's all pointless anyway. Almost no one says that they want to leave while they are still contracted. And I don't think any player in last decade has said they are anything short of thrilled to be at the club they've just been drafted to (even Melbourne). Contract extensions have meaning, the rest is just fluff.

Master and apprentice
31 January 2014

Simon Black might have hung up the boots after 16 superb seasons, but that won’t stop him from imparting his extensive knowledge onto midfield protégé James Aish.

Aish was the Brisbane Lions’ prized first selection (Pick No.7 overall) at the 2013 AFL National Draft, and has since shown enough at training to suggest he could make an immediate impact. It certainly helps when you get to spend considerable time with team’s newest Assistant Coach, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest midfielders the game has ever seen.And even though Aish is a born-and-bred South Australian, he told Triple M in Adelaide that it’s a “dream come true” to work so closely with Black.

Aish has settled quickly into the Brisbane lifestyle, and has recently moved into with teammates Daniel Rich, Rohan Bewick, and fellow draftee Lewis Taylor.

James-Aish-Main-Image.jpg

Link - http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-01-31/master-and-apprentice

BIG Brother is watching James Aish and he likes what he sees.

Brisbane has adopted a big brother mentoring program in which senior club figures are assigned a “duty of care’’ player from the litter of Lions cubs.

They have such great expectations for new recruit Aish (pictured) that the club’s most decorated player, Simon Black, has been chosen to take their top draft pick under his wing.

Aish, who was taken with pick No.7 in the draft and will make his first appearance for Brisbane against the Hawks tomorrow, has a hotline to Black, who is there to be a sounding board for all things on and off the field.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...ther-simon-black/story-fndv8d6r-1226824020387

Remove this Banner Ad

Back