Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Last thing the AFL wants atm. Won't sanction a cheat.
Hawthorn has put an end to his coaching ambitions.
Don’t think that’s an accurate take. With media and public attention engrossed in the allegations nobody would really bat an eyelid if Hird was announced right now.

If he is indeed going to be appointed it’ll be pretty soon I’d imagine.

Au contraire, with Adam Yze about to be caught up in the Hawthorn affair the timing is perfect for the return of the prodigal son.
Might I add Kevin Sheedy's plans to spill the board & scuttle any chance Clarkson being appointed as coach of The Don's has turned out rather fortuitously. Given his unquestionable rapport with AFL Indigenous Australians one might suspect he was in knowledge of the impending calamity that was about to explode.

Might I add Kevin Sheedy's plans to spill the board & scuttle any chance Clarkson being appointed as coach of The Don's has turned out rather fortuitously. Given his unquestionable rapport with AFL Indigenous Australians one might suspect he was in knowledge of the impending calamity that was about to explode.
Clutching at straws here I reckon.

Sheeds wants Hird, doesn't matter if Ron Barassi in his prime was willing to coach Essendon for free, he wants Jimbo.

“I would love to get the job,” Hird told a Melbourne luncheon on Thursday, according to The Age newspaper.

"I know there has been a lot of speculation around whether I’ve done the time or I’ve done the work but I’m passionate about the club."

"Redemption is a big thing.

"But for me, I just love the Essendon Football Club, it has been part of my life forever and I think I can make it better.”
Almost sounds like he's pleading for the job after being told no by the club

Personally, i am super impressed with Jim's pitch.

"hey, i dipped my toe back in the water this year. I luv the Club. I think i can make it better. Redemption....yeah redemption. Redemption will be mine".

I rank it second only to Bryan Wood's classic a few years ago"

"hey, i might not have been to too many games the last 20 years, but i've watched plenty from my couch, and i think i can make the club better as Dimma's Football boss".

Let's all get around TD and Bomber, and raise our glass in expectation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird said he would bring Bomber Thompson back to coach?

fans GIF

* me. if that's all it takes to get bombers fans up and going...geeze.

I'd rather be a hawthorn fan right now.
Clarkson has been revealed as a diabolical monster capable of incredibly disturbing acts of evil.

Hirdy just made a few mighty blunders but all is water under the bridge now.

The red n black carpet is at the dry cleaners ready for the return of the King.

Not King Richard. (Reynolds)

King James.

Allegedly was quite abusive towards players while with us, including Liam Jones
i know he's prickly. Assuming lines weren't crossed i'd be ok with this if he's adapted to the modern player.
Have heard a few stories about how he straightened out a few Dees players.

McCartney is allegedly an ar*ehat. Repeatedly ringing players at home, alledgedly often inebriated, berating them.

Personally heard this from a friend in an official footy position at WB in McC's time.
Interesting. Did seem to have issues there.
Wonder if he's not built for senior coach pressure/accountability vs. supporting a senior coach

Have to laugh at the amount of Essendon fans wanting Hird back most are hoping that Yze is tangled up in the Hawks rascism scandal so Hird can get the job by default wtf is wrong woth some of these fans

I would never put it past Essendon to go full Essendon and appoint him regardless of the optics.

But the idea that the AFL being in the midst of a player welfare crisis somehow HELPS the return of a guy who was suspended for a year by the AFL for a serious breach of player welfare protocols is just straight up batsh*t insane.

I would never put it past Essendon to go full Essendon and appoint him regardless of the optics.

But the idea that the AFL being in the midst of a player welfare crisis somehow HELPS the return of a guy who was suspended for a year by the AFL for a serious breach of player welfare protocols is just straight up batsh*t insane.
But he paid the penalty Linda. He served his sentence. Took the nails driven into his hands. Copped his fair whack. 50 lashes and more etc etc

So he’s allowed back into the AFL orbit.

Because he’s a star in the vast galaxy of football history.

You can’t blame them for letting him back in.

It’s just common sense…and justice

Back