January 26

Should the celebration of January 26 cease?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks to the internet and social media it has created an insatiable appetite for constant news, good, bad, real or not. The problem is that, in our quest to fill every minute with new information it's much more exciting for many just to make things up, especially when the media don't double check their sources. People believe it all! The "illusion of truth" is alive and well in Australia and if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth which is a law of propaganda often attributed to the Nazi Joseph Goebbels. I'm not sure what people want here in Australia, any new date which i have no problem with will still see the whingers come out to play, do we all pack up and leave and find some other place to live? Australia Day should be celebrated, it could easily have been the French, Dutch or even the Swedes, somebody was going to find the place. I guess they don't teach that in schools anymore. Australia is a great place, it's people on the other hand are a vastly different story.

Australia Day should be celebrated, it could easily have been the French, Dutch or even the Swedes, somebody was going to find the place. I guess they don't teach that in schools anymore.
What has this got to do with anything? I was reading this "be thankful it's not even worse" garbage in the Courier-Mail in the late 80's. This is not a new argument, and was never a valid one.

Australia is a great place, its people on the other hand are a vastly different story.
Yes. Some of them at least.

Shame they didn't take the opportunity to film their t shirt so we could see what he was upset about. Without that it's really just another rambling PT loony.
What would have to be on the t-shirts for this public tirade to be acceptable?

In general I don't think anything makes that tirade acceptable, and when he goes on his "your generation" tangent then yeah you can see has some deep seated prejudices.

But I think seeing it (the t shirt) provides some context at least. If it was just a t-shirt with an aboriginal flag, nothing more, then we can see this man is a racist pure and simple.

If it says "invasion day" or "change the date" then his tirade is placed more in a bit of misplaced conservatism (in my opinion)

Then again it could have a middle finger or "* Australia day" or something - in which case he could be justified in taking offence, but perhaps could voice this offence in a more civilised manner.

My point is that if they took the time to show what their t shirt displayed then there might be a discussion that could come out of this where we could learn something. We could all decide we though of the shirt and just how much of a dickhead this guy was. Instead, it's like "yeah, old white guy has tirade on tram about Australia Day" - I've seen that movie before...

Instead, it's like "yeah, old white guy has tirade on tram about Australia Day" - I've seen that movie before...
Nobody else seemed to be supporting him or saying anything.

I haven't seen any t-shirts around that would make a normal, un-pilled boomer deliver a boomerwaffen rant.

If it turns out it is highly offensive and he's having a bad day, well then play on.

Channel 7 Sunrise broadcasting from the Swan River foreshore in Perth,

“To be honest there’s not too many boats out on the river today”

“There’s only a few flags hanging on the balconies”

No other people in the background, you’d think the camera operator would pan to show all the “patriotic Aussies” in their flags. Reporter seemed really flat and trying to pretend to be excited.

😂

Whilst a small snapshot you have put up there schneebly111 it is becoming blatantly obvious that sentiment has shifted on Oz day. This is not "loony left" minorities making the loudest noise rather the majority of the general population seeing the 26th as an inappropriate day to celebrate Australia. Australia should be celebrated, it sure does have many issues which cannot go on ignored but having a day to celebrate the good things about this great country and recognising the fascinating history of the indigenous cultures would be great, In essence I really dont think there would be much opposition at all if the date was changed as again this isnt some minority outrage, most from all walks off life would be happy to change and I reckon if you made it a floating Monday or Friday at the end of Jan to snag a long weekend that doesnt fall on the 26th you would get an overwhelming positive response.

Thanks to the internet and social media it has created an insatiable appetite for constant news, good, bad, real or not. The problem is that, in our quest to fill every minute with new information it's much more exciting for many just to make things up, especially when the media don't double check their sources. People believe it all!

Nice rant at the clouds.
The "illusion of truth" is alive and well in Australia and if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth which is a law of propaganda often attributed to the Nazi Joseph Goebbels.

Uhhh. Ok.

I'm not sure what people want here in Australia, any new date which i have no problem with will still see the whingers come out to play, do we all pack up and leave and find some other place to live?

No, we’d just have an inclusive date. That’s all.
Australia Day should be celebrated, it could easily have been the French, Dutch or even the Swedes, somebody was going to find the place.
Yes, Aboriginals did “find the place”. A long time ago.

What you mean is, another European country would have colonised. Yes, not many would disagree with that.

I guess they don't teach that in schools anymore. Australia is a great place, its people on the other hand are a vastly different story.

Australia is a great place, because of its people. Sorry if you’re stuck in 1956.

Australia Day should be celebrated, it could easily have been the French, Dutch or even the Swedes, somebody was going to find the place. I guess they don't teach that in schools anymore.

Better wine, better beer or better meatballs - and in every case better genes. I’m disappointed we weren’t colonised by another nation 😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not "loony left" minorities making the loudest noise rather the majority of the general population seeing the 26th as an inappropriate day to celebrate Australia.

I don’t even think it’s that. I’m coming to the realisation that ‘patriotism’ is a dying notion. In the age of globalisation I can converse and listen to people on the other side of the globe with a device I can carry in my hand and I can jump on a plane for a fraction of the price I could 30 years ago and travel to any part of the globe and even work and live there if I play my cards right.

In this age of hyper globalisation why do I need to wave a silly little flag around to express some kinship with people just because I happened to come out of my mum’s snatch on the same piece of dirt? It really doesn’t make sense?

Replacing UK suck ups with US suck ups is another great ‘Aussie’ tradition.

China’s no threat bro. We need to be culturally more towards Asia (including China) than the toilet nations of the UK and US.

And that’s something the Australian public agree with, after they voted out the Anglophile Libs and replaced them with the more multicultural ALP which promised to be more diplomatic towards China.

It was Australians of Chinese heritage who ensured this shift in our foreign policy, and it will be Australians of Chinese heritage who will ensure than any future attempt to stroke Sinophobia for votes will be doomed to electoral oblivion.
Why do you say China is no threat?

Thanks to the internet and social media it has created an insatiable appetite for constant news, good, bad, real or not. The problem is that, in our quest to fill every minute with new information it's much more exciting for many just to make things up, especially when the media don't double check their sources. People believe it all! The "illusion of truth" is alive and well in Australia and if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth which is a law of propaganda often attributed to the Nazi Joseph Goebbels. I'm not sure what people want here in Australia, any new date which i have no problem with will still see the whingers come out to play, do we all pack up and leave and find some other place to live? Australia Day should be celebrated, it could easily have been the French, Dutch or even the Swedes, somebody was going to find the place. I guess they don't teach that in schools anymore. Australia is a great place, it's people on the other hand are a vastly different story.

I guess it was inevitable that we'd talk about people wanting to change the date as being like Nazis.

In general I don't think anything makes that tirade acceptable, and when he goes on his "your generation" tangent then yeah you can see has some deep seated prejudices.

But I think seeing it (the t shirt) provides some context at least. If it was just a t-shirt with an aboriginal flag, nothing more, then we can see this man is a racist pure and simple.

If it says "invasion day" or "change the date" then his tirade is placed more in a bit of misplaced conservatism (in my opinion)

Then again it could have a middle finger or "* Australia day" or something - in which case he could be justified in taking offence, but perhaps could voice this offence in a more civilised manner.

My point is that if they took the time to show what their t shirt displayed then there might be a discussion that could come out of this where we could learn something. We could all decide we though of the shirt and just how much of a dickhead this guy was. Instead, it's like "yeah, old white guy has tirade on tram about Australia Day" - I've seen that movie before...
the fact that you can imagine a way to justify that s**t is disturbing

What gets me is how many paid blue ticks responded to the twitter post with their own racist tirade.

Before Musk the blue tick was a means of verifying identity for those with a public profile.

Now it seems to be a badge of dishonour.

A Boon Wurrung elder has condemned the vandalism of a statue of Captain James Cook, which was torn down in darkness on Australia Day eve, describing the act as disgraceful and heinous.

Speaking after a mourning reflection ceremony in St Kilda, Jason Briggs, the chair of the Boonwurrung Land and Sea Council, said a “violent crime had been committed” close to where the We-Akon Dilinja ceremony took place.

Briggs called those who vandalised the statue “cretins” whose “divisive act” had failed in its attempt to overshadow the event.

“We do not abide by anything illegal, illegitimate, or as disgraceful as such a heinous act,” he said.

Paid off to say that I'm sure.

Yes, it was a terrible thing in 1833, but why should 27 million people who live here now pay the penalty? As i've said before, we could all go pack our bags and find any number of the 2 million or so uninhabited islands in the world and pitch our tents there! I love Australia, it's the people who i'm not overly fond of. The madness of this time of year is reprehensible.
What "penalty" are we paying?

Those who are ashamed of our country are all too happy to reap the benefits.

Indeed, it reminds me of the pink haired lefties who screech about capitalism and the free market, all while they are glued to the latest smartphone.

More confused than Scooby Doo.

Those who are ashamed of our country are all too happy to reap the benefits.

Indeed, it reminds me of the pink haired lefties who screech about capitalism and the free market, all while they are glued to the latest smartphone.

More confused than Scooby Doo.

As opposed to the blue rinse boomers glued to poker machines and screeching about woke lefties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back