January 26

Should the celebration of January 26 cease?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who are ashamed of our country are all too happy to reap the benefits.

Indeed, it reminds me of the pink haired lefties who screech about capitalism and the free market, all while they are glued to the latest smartphone.

More confused than Scooby Doo.

Our country is not fixed in time or attitudes. Part of why it is great

I’m sure the people singing advance australia fair instead of god save the king/queen would have been seen as ungrateful at the time

I actually voted 'no' to the poll, because January 26 is a public holiday, and who doesn't like public holidays?

However, I can see why the Indigenous wouldn't see it that way, and if the date was changed, I wouldn't object.

Indeed, it reminds me of the pink haired lefties who screech about capitalism and the free market, all while they are glued to the latest smartphone.

I am not ashamed of our country. I am ashamed of the gap there is for Aboriginal people in health, health literacy, education and life expectancy. I am also ashamed of some of our past.

What benefits have we gotten from dispossessing Aboriginal people from their own land?

What benefits have we gotten from extinguishing Aboriginal languages?

We all suffer when a group in charge think they can murder, enslave, and steal with impunity.

I am not ashamed of our country. I am ashamed of the gap there is for Aboriginal people in health, health literacy, education and life expectancy. I am also ashamed of some of our past.
A family member of mine is currently living in the NT. While not having visited the NT myself, I have no reason to think this family member is lying.

I was told that over half the Aboriginal children attending the same primary school as my family members children are absent on a frequent basis.

At some point you have to blame the parents, even if they're black. I think it's unhelpful to blame white people for every issue that Aboriginals deal with.

What benefits have we gotten from dispossessing Aboriginal people from their own land?

What benefits have we gotten from extinguishing Aboriginal languages?

We all suffer when a group in charge think they can murder, enslave, and steal with impunity.

I'm referring to the people with no aboriginal heritage who protest during Australia day marches - they have no downside skin in the game. Aboriginal people have a legitimate reason to protest and they should be given every opportunity to lift themselves up from the injustices that previous generations experienced.

Young people with no aboriginal heritage get to scream and shout inane things like, "abolish the state"....yet they still undoubtedly claim free healthcare, youth allowance while they study, deferred university fees. All that posturing is simply to look good in front of their friends, or for want of a better term, "virtue signalling".

Do you not see the hypocrisy here? The courage without sacrifice?

I'm referring to the people with no aboriginal heritage who protest during Australia day marches - they have no downside skin in the game.

This is simply not true.

Nobody gains if we stand aside and allow this stuff to happen to our fellow citizens.

Aboriginal people have a legitimate reason to protest and they should be given every opportunity to lift themselves up from the injustices that previous generations experienced.
And where possible their fellow citizens should lend a hand.
Young people with no aboriginal heritage get to scream and shout inane things like, "abolish the state"....yet they still undoubtedly claim free healthcare, youth allowance while they study, deferred university fees. All that posturing is simply to look good in front of their friends, or for want of a better term, "virtue signalling".

Which state are they talking about?

What are they supposed to sacrifice?

If people can improve the system WITHOUT sacrifice then ask yourself why you aren't doing it.

A family member of mine is currently living in the NT. While not having visited the NT myself, I have no reason to think this family member is lying.

I was told that over half the Aboriginal children attending the same primary school as my family members children are absent on a frequent basis.

At some point you have to blame the parents, even if they're black. I think it's unhelpful to blame white people for every issue that Aboriginals deal with.
Why do you think that is?

Do you think it's something inherent to Aboriginal people? Genetic?

Or

Do you think it might possibly be connected to generational systemic inequality and trauma?

It's not shame. Today's generation isn't responsible for the past but it is responsible for the present and the future. That's why we learn about history, to ensure we don't make the same mistakes and try to improve lives for everyone. Australia has a very immature attitude when it comes to talking about its history.

Those complaining that we shouldn't feel 'shame' are like children who boil everything down to 'blame'... they can't accept that the discussion isn't even about blame, it's about facts and moving forward.

School holidays only ended this week. Maybe you should have waited a few more weeks to drop this bombshell?

We need this cartoon on speed dial I think
whnuvoh4od031.jpg

Why do you think that is?

Do you think it's something inherent to Aboriginal people? Genetic?

Or

Do you think it might possibly be connected to generational systemic inequality and trauma?
Bad parenting seems like a reasonable answer to me. I don't see how we'll ever fix any issue when well-meaning people like yourself keep justifying every bad act as the result of some form of trauma.

If you want to fix the inequalities, some responsibility needs to be taken too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could also grab some numbers here:

Who exactly are ashamed of our country?
clearly the ones who think we need no foreign head of state, no foreign flag on our flag, and not celebrating the start of foreign rule over our land as our national day. If you're not ashamed of your country you want all those things apparently.

Bad parenting seems like a reasonable answer to me. I don't see how we'll ever fix any issue when well-meaning people like yourself keep justifying every bad act as the result of some form of trauma.

This. Give people an excuse and they’ll take it. Personal responsibility needs to come into play eventually

clearly the ones who think we need no foreign head of state, no foreign flag on our flag, and not celebrating the start of foreign rule over our land as our national day. If you're not ashamed of your country you want all those things apparently.

As told to us on a shrill and daily basis by ‘news’ organisations headed by a guy who renounced his Australian citizenship

It all makes perfect sense now

I'm referring to the people with no aboriginal heritage who protest during Australia day marches - they have no downside skin in the game. Aboriginal people have a legitimate reason to protest and they should be given every opportunity to lift themselves up from the injustices that previous generations experienced.

How do you know who is Aboriginal who is not?

How do you know who is Aboriginal who is not?
Not to mention that if we want to talk about Australian values what is wrong with someone without indigenous heritage standing up for what they believe is right even if they won’t necessarily gain anything from the change as an individual

I have no indigenous heritage personally but my family have very strong links to the indigenous community

My uncle is extremely respected in Arnhem Land, he worked to help officially translate the native language and document it, along with being one of David Gulpilil’s best friends to the point that my family has an entire chapter dedicated to us in his autobiography

Why shouldn’t I be able to to stand with my indigenous brothers and sisters and champion an issue that is so important to them

Not to mention that if we want to talk about Australian values what is wrong with someone without indigenous heritage standing up for what they believe is right even if they won’t necessarily gain anything from the change as an individual

I have no indigenous heritage personally but my family have very strong links to the indigenous community

My uncle is extremely respected in Arnhem Land, he worked to help officially translate the native language and document it, along with being one of David Gulpilil’s best friends to the point that my family has an entire chapter dedicated to us in his autobiography

Why shouldn’t I be able to to stand with my indigenous brothers and sisters and champion an issue that is so important to them

By all means.

It's not shame. Today's generation isn't responsible for the past but it is responsible for the present and the future. That's why we learn about history, to ensure we don't make the same mistakes and try to improve lives for everyone. Australia has a very immature attitude when it comes to talking about its history.

Those complaining that we shouldn't feel 'shame' are like children who boil everything down to 'blame'... they can't accept that the discussion isn't even about blame, it's about facts and moving forward.
How convenient

Please correct me by explaining the moment of time that the following changed from 1 to 2.
1: Aboriginal people have been systematically oppressed due to racism and hate.
-->Period of time-->
2: Aboriginal people are lazy, and need to take responsibilities for their inadequacies.

As Aboriginal people have faced the same outcomes for the entirety of Australian colonisation, at what point do you believe they went from persecuted, to lazy?

Herp over derp means that blerp are more schkerp!!!

There is an obvious gap of understanding between people who support Aboriginal people, and people who oppose Aboriginal people.
And it comes down to viewing Aboriginal people as equals, or as subhuman.

People who view Aboriginals as equals, are called 'woke' and dismissed as virtue signalling.
People who view Aboriginals as subhuman will call out 'white' people as 'Not-Aboriginal-Enough'.

'Not-Aboriginal-Enough' is them literally outing themselves as racists by saying 'if you aren't dark enough, we don't consider you subhuman'. But insisting that it isn't about skin colour.

At some point we need to recognise the racism that is a basis of Australian values. And we need to work towards making the rejection of it our base, rather than pretending it doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back