Who will win the Victorian election

• Labor

Votes: 128 87.1%
  • Coalition

Votes: 19 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I waited for 11 trains at Carnegie crossing once (Dandenong line, Packenham Line, VLine to Sale & Traralgon). It took about 45 minutes.

There is not one person on earth who misses that level crossing.
I think my record was 5 at Hughesdale.
2 suburban trains, 2 V/Line trains and another empty cars.

I think my record was 5 at Hughesdale.
2 suburban trains, 2 V/Line trains and another empty cars.
Traffic is so much smoother around Essendon and Reservoir since those level crossings were removed. Reservoir in particular was a shambles.

Hopefully they can remove the Moonee Ponds one at Holmes/Puckle St and the two on Macauley Rd at Macauley and Kensington stations.

Traffic is so much smoother around Essendon and Reservoir since those level crossings were removed. Reservoir in particular was a shambles.

Hopefully they can remove the Moonee Ponds one at Holmes/Puckle St and the two on Macauley Rd at Macauley and Kensington stations.
Both of them would be fun ones to do.
Kensington has an active grain siding and Maculay is under a freeway and next to a creek

I think most Melbourne drivers have had similar experiences. Also 45 min for me. Combination traffic lights/crossing. Now gone.

The level crossing removals are brilliant politics. It's the sort of policy a smart "we are car centric and hate the poors" Liberal party should have gone with.

Sure it has been successfully branded as PT infrastructure but like 90% of the benefit has gone to drivers. Trains already had right of way.

There's a reason Dan Andrews is getting a statue.

I think most Melbourne drivers have had similar experiences. Also 45 min for me. Combination traffic lights/crossing. Now gone.

The level crossing removals are brilliant politics. It's the sort of policy a smart "we are car centric and hate the poors" Liberal party should have gone with.

Sure it has been successfully branded as PT infrastructure but like 90% of the benefit has gone to drivers. Trains already had right of way.

There's a reason Dan Andrews is getting a statue.
One think I'd like to see now is up the frequency of the trains.

If crossings were the issue then they're gone now

Signalling has been the big issue that prevents more services being run.

The old system has coloured signals that are stop and go, the new computerised system keeps trains moving while remaining a safe distance from the train ahead.

Increased services, with the addition of new, larger trains will increase the system capacity.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The metro taking traffic giving the loop more capacity is the key. There may need to be in place upgrades too
The loop wasn't meant to take all services, it was designed as an alternative route, some go via Flinders, some via the loop.

We aren't using the network the way it was designed because politics

Signalling has been the big issue that prevents more services being run.

The old system has coloured signals that are stop and go, the new computerised system keeps trains moving while remaining a safe distance from the train ahead.

Increased services, with the addition of new, larger trains will increase the system capacity.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Many lines have sub 10 minute signal headways as is.

What Sky News policies did they take to the election?

Liberal's main policies were:
  • Spend lots of money on health
  • $2 public transport fares
  • Free lunches for school kids
Those are all centrist policies. Arguably they sound more like Labor than Liberal policy.

They also promised 50% emissions reduction by 2030 (less than Federal Labor's target of 43%) although it wasn't clear how they would achieve this.

Liberal also said nothing about various left policies:

• Parents should be jailed for talking to their own kids about gender transition. Liberal said nothing about this ridiculous anti-family policy which most Victorians would reject. And centrist/centre left and libertarian minor parties already rejected in parliament (Sustainable Australia, Hinch Justice Party, Lib Dems).

• Cutting spending (Victoria's expenditure has grown 10% a year since 2014, other states average 6%). Liberal said nothing about this- they merely said they would examine the debt and attempt to set a debt cap once they had examined the accounts more closely. And they said they'd cut 7 taxes and bring the budget to surplus one year earlier - 2024/25. But as far as I'm aware, Liberal didn't actually commit to cutting any expenditure whatsoever, other than switching Suburban Rail Loop funds into health.

This is why Sky News presenters have been criticizing them hard since Saturday- Bolt, Panahi wanted them to be more conservative.

it’s astonishing to me that you can decry growing debt because of a particular project And then propose redirecting this spending into recurrent expenditure.

all without any scrutiny. Frankly such a proposal should exclude you from office.

it’s astonishing to me that you can decry growing debt because of a particular project And then propose redirecting this spending into recurrent expenditure.

all without any scrutiny. Frankly such a proposal should exclude you from office.
I'm trying to work out how funding public health is centrist, or making public transport cheaper, or providing kids with food.

I'm trying to work out how funding public health is centrist, or making public transport cheaper, or providing kids with food.
Well all 3 are generally aiming to reduce effects of wealth inequality so they are more economically left than traditional lnp - whether it is objectively centrist vs leftist depends on where one own self sits on the spectrum

Well all 3 are generally aiming to reduce effects of wealth inequality so they are more economically left than traditional lnp - whether it is objectively centrist vs leftist depends on where one own self sits on the spectrum
No what the policy is depends on the policy, not where someone else is.

A right wing party proposing a left wing policy doesn't make the policy or the party centerist.

If the majority of a parties policies sit to one side of the spectrum that's where the party sits.

Raising jobseeker during covid didn't make the coalition left wing, it just meant circumstances made them put their ideology to one side temporarily.

Once those circumstances changed they reverted to type.

Vic libs proposing some left leaning policies leading into the election was them trying to court voters, it wasn't a fundamental shift in party politics and it didn't make them a centerist or moderate party and Victorians voted accordingly.

No what the policy is depends on the policy, not where someone else is.

A right wing party proposing a left wing policy doesn't make the policy or the party centerist.

If the majority of a parties policies sit to one side of the spectrum that's where the party sits.

Raising jobseeker during covid didn't make the coalition left wing, it just meant circumstances made them put their ideology to one side temporarily.

Once those circumstances changed they reverted to type.

Vic libs proposing some left leaning policies leading into the election was them trying to court voters, it wasn't a fundamental shift in party politics and it didn't make them a centerist or moderate party and Victorians voted accordingly.
Aah I now understand what you point was about (rejecting the liberals being called centrist)

Back