Tas Tasmanian Election 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I am always puzzled why anyone in their right mind would vote for Greens?

Because every problem that exists in politics has been caused by the labor liberal duopoly.

Nothing will change until a third party or enough independents enter the mix.

Because every problem that exists in politics has been caused by the labor liberal duopoly.
What will be interesting is the Greens newcomers aren't traditional hard liner Greens people. If they can prove they can be pragmatic to the political process, which includes flexibility around compromise, that could set them up well for the future.

If they only show themselves to be political snipers, they will lose votes if a capable red or blue person shakes out of the woodwork.

I am always puzzled why anyone in their right mind would vote for Greens? As for footy in Tassie, the AFL are steadfast on a new stadium or no deal. 19 teams is crazy anyway, i would like Tassie to be a part of it, but Woodruff doesn't like footy as well as Salmon!
I guess not all of us like seeing everything chopped down and dug up to make rich people even richer, but you do you.

They've conceded
Not exactly, they've conceded Liberals first crack at forming a government. If Libs can't get confidence on the floor of the chamber, then the question will be if Labor can. It seems a play at the party machine booting White and then still trying to form a government with "no deals". Or at botting White, claiming she was the one saying "no deals" and then making a play for a deal which denies Libs confidence first.
The first is a bit of a dud ploy, if that is what they're doing, as Libs will very probably end up doing some form of deal which does not include any Green members of Cabinet. If a non-White leader agrees to deals, then maybe - given both independents and the Greens are closer to Labor than Liberal on some matters (still far apart on most). JLN are who knows where. Ideologically, more Liberal aligned of Lambie's Senate time is anything to go by; but the state level members may be a different story.

The Governor will almost certainly not allow another election immediately until all options are exhausted, which Rockliff (if he keeps leadership) will no doubt call for if he is denied confidence. But I would expect no matter what, Ferguson or Abetz will lead the Liberals within a few months.

In his federal parliament days, I remember reading that he received the most first-preference votes, but also the most last-preference votes, from people voting below the line.
From memory his fist preference vote was because he was first on the ticket and above the line votes getting distributed down the ticket, so 1 goes to the top candidate. No ATL in Hare-Clark.
But, yes, people would vote below the line explicitly to put him last.

From memory his fist preference vote was because he was first on the ticket and above the line votes getting distributed down the ticket, so 1 goes to the top candidate. No ATL in Hare-Clark.
But, yes, people would vote below the line explicitly to put him last.
Or Steve Mav

Always vote all the way. Most of the lower mid-tables are random. But I always leave my last vote for someone special.

I guess not all of us like seeing everything chopped down and dug up to make rich people even richer, but you do you.
Why do internet people always moralise their politics? The answer is never "because I believe in forestry preservation" it's "because i'm a good person and you aren't"

Or Steve Mav

Always vote all the way. Most of the lower mid-tables are random. But I always leave my last vote for someone special.
Same here, even when I lived in Vic with 110+ candidates. With optional preferential voting in the Senate now, I don't see a need for Above The Line voting to still exist.
Numbering 12 below the line isn't that much harder or time consuming than numbering 6 above, if anything having two options just makes the ballot more confusing.

Same here, even when I lived in Vic with 110+ candidates. With optional preferential voting in the Senate now, I don't see a need for Above The Line voting to still exist.
Numbering 12 below the line isn't that much harder or time consuming than numbering 6 above, if anything having two options just makes the ballot more confusing.
Lambie seems to be the wild card from where I'm sitting and relying on how she feels when she wakes up on any given day for support in government seems to be a recipe for instability.

Why do internet people always moralise their politics? The answer is never "because I believe in forestry preservation" it's "because i'm a good person and you aren't"
One of the things I hate about the modern internet.

Did you note the tenor of the post I was responding to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because that's the way most people see the world, according to their point of view, which they've presumably considered the morals of. Complaining about this is like complaining about the weather - it's natural and it will happen, so one can either get used to it and make the best of the situation, or fight a losing battle.

Does Labor declaring itself out of the race to form government reduce the crossbenchers' bargaining power? It seems to me the situation has gone from 'Give me a good deal or I'll side with the other major party' to 'Give me a good deal because you need to form government or there will be another election'.

If Rockliff can't reach a deal, how likely is he to say '* it, go back to the polls and try to win more Liberal seats'?

Does Labor declaring itself out of the race to form government reduce the crossbenchers' bargaining power? It seems to me the situation has gone from 'Give me a good deal or I'll side with the other major party' to 'Give me a good deal because you need to form government or there will be another election'.

If Rockliff can't reach a deal, how likely is he to say '* it, go back to the polls and try to win more Liberal seats'?
My understanding is he doesn't really need a deal to stay in power. There just has to be no desire to vote no-confidence from enough of the cross-bench. He needs deals to pass legislation and deals might give more stability, but he can just start governing essentially now.

Nothing will change until a third party or enough independents enter the mix.
to some extent. but in the tasmanian context i'm not sure more 'lambie' clones are going to make a for a better more cohesive parliament.

to some extent. but in the tasmanian context i'm not sure more 'lambie' clones are going to make a for a better more cohesive parliament.

I'm happy for lambie clones to disrupt the status quo. Politicians should have to negotiate better outcomes, not tow party lines.

I'm happy for lambie clones to disrupt the status quo. Politicians should have to negotiate better outcomes, not tow party lines.
i'm not happy for anyone to 'disrupt' the process. particularly loose cannons like lambie who is as thick as two planks. i'm for responsible independents, the likes of ryan, daniel, steggal, haines etc.

i'm not happy for anyone to 'disrupt' the process. particularly loose cannons like lambie who is as thick as two planks. i'm for responsible independents, the likes of ryan, daniel, steggal, haines etc.

Oh well, it might be a hung parliament if the liberals can't deal with them.

So sad.

Why do Greens need to "compromise"? They are some time off forming government.
They don't need to compromise really - but achieving compromise may solidify their vote and be taken seriously. Historically for the Greens, they tend to overachieve in one election and get wiped out the next (rinse and repeat).

Oh well, it might be a hung parliament if the liberals can't deal with them.

So sad.

it took lambie only hours to walk away from her shoutiness. when it comes to the libs now, let bygones be bygones. one of her peeps is even for the stadium post the election. she's very good at selling her bill of goods, i'll give her that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back