LNP will win the next federal election. Bookmark it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Libs ****ed up exports to China to the tune of billions. Many SMEs and companies got hammered. I'm not sure this will be forgotten so easily.

It's hilarious seeing conservative corporate Australia putting their hopes and dreams into Penny Wong cleaning up Scomo's mess.

Labor voters will eventually jump off but they will jump to the Greens or the teals (or other independents). The LNP will never win a federal election again.

On a state level, they are a chance of winning Queensland next year and retaining Tasmania. They are done in Vic and WA. Small chance in remaining states.

Abbott couldn't win in 2010 with a government that made a lot more political mistakes than the current one. I think targetting a one-term return to government is very optimistic.
Serious question for you.

Would you actually want to see an LNP government, lead by Dutton, with all wets purged, and focused on wedge culture wars issues?

I'm not saying this will be the outcome. I'm asking IF this was the outcome, would you be happier than an ALP win?

I remember jokes around 2008 about Campbell Newman being the highest ranked Liberal in the country when he was mayor of Brisbane. Five years later we had Tony Abbott as PM.
Someone made a similar point on the The Liberal Party - How Long? thread a few weeks back, and this was my response:

“Yes, true, never say never.

But several factors are profoundly different now.

In 2010-13 Murdoch was at the peak of his influence.

Fast forward a decade; he hasn’t “won” an election for some time now. His influence has waned dramatically and his outlets just look increasingly hysterical to the average punter.

Allied to that is the rise of social media, and allied to that is the generational shift. The Libs have total lost the younger generations now.

Look at the rise of women’s power. The sort of in-your-face (and I mean that as a good thing) demands and expectations from women nowadays that are positively mainstream. Libs have effectively lost women, and that’s half the bloody population don’t forget.

And we’ve had a (far too) slow awakening of awareness about climate change. Tony Abbott’s hysterics wouldn’t get half the hearing now that they did a decade ago.

The world has really changed since 2010. And the Libs haven’t changed at all.

They think that’s a strength, but they’re totally misreading how profoundly the world has changed.

Having said that, this is no time for complacency. They are nothing if not determined. Watch for a push (probably through associated bodies, rather than the Lib party itself) to make voting non-compulsory, or to undermine the AEC, etc. Retail politics is a barren wasteland for conservative ambitions right now, but the sort of people and institutions that benefit from Lib governments have endless resources to spend on shifting things back in their favour.”

Serious question for you.

Would you actually want to see an LNP government, lead by Dutton, with all wets purged, and focused on wedge culture wars issues?

I'm not saying this will be the outcome. I'm asking IF this was the outcome, would you be happier than an ALP win?

Gough can read my mind. He answered before I got the chance to, I guess he's used to speaking for people he actually doesn't represent, and he's a mod so it's his game anyway.

In all seriousness (as you stated it was a serious question), it's a hypothetical I don't think we really have to consider. If this answer is unsatisfactory or disappointing, then so be it.

Libs ****ed up exports to China to the tune of billions. Many SMEs and companies got hammered. I'm not sure this will be forgotten so easily.

It's hilarious seeing conservative corporate Australia putting their hopes and dreams into Penny Wong cleaning up Scomo's mess.
There has already been some repair if the recent announcements re: barley exports are to be believed.

Someone made a similar point on the The Liberal Party - How Long? thread a few weeks back, and this was my response:

Fast forward a decade; he hasn’t “won” an election for some time now. His influence has waned dramatically and his outlets just look increasingly hysterical to the average punter.

Allied to that is the rise of social media, and allied to that is the generational shift. The Libs have total lost the younger generations now.

Look at the rise of women’s power. The sort of in-your-face (and I mean that as a good thing) demands and expectations from women nowadays that are positively mainstream. Libs have effectively lost women, and that’s half the bloody population don’t forget.

And we’ve had a (far too) slow awakening of awareness about climate change. Tony Abbott’s hysterics wouldn’t get half the hearing now that they did a decade ago.

They think that’s a strength, but they’re totally misreading how profoundly the world has changed.

Having said that, this is no time for complacency. They are nothing if not determined. Watch for a push (probably through associated bodies, rather than the Lib party itself) to make voting non-compulsory, or to undermine the AEC, etc. Retail politics is a barren wasteland for conservative ambitions right now, but the sort of people and institutions that benefit from Lib governments have endless resources to spend on shifting things back in their favour.”
Plus is you consider the issue with Kroger in Vic and Turnbull in NSW, party donors (who hold the real power) have no interest is funding wet lib candidates so the Libs really have a tough choice - move back to the centre and lose party cash, or keep party cash and reduce their prospects for electability?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the world can change profoundly one way in the space of 10 years it can change anyway it likes in the next 10.

Maybe Australia becomes a one party progressive state like California is in the US, but given how dysfunctional that place is, be careful what you wish for.

There has already been some repair if the recent announcements re: barley exports are to be believed.
Yeah, slight thawing. Wong has done well so far, including with the pacific nations.

Maybe Australia becomes a one party progressive state like California is in the US, but given how dysfunctional that place is, be careful what you wish for.

The US as a whole is a basket case, the particulars of one of the least leaning GOP states doesn’t alter that.

I’d fashion Australia to be progressive like Scandinavia or Western Europe before California.

I think what also gets lost in the Tony “world’s greatest LOTO” Abbott fanfare is that the ALP govt had completely lost the plot in the eyes of the public.

Abbott could legitimately stand there and look a sensible alternative by comparison. He didn’t turn out to be one but the ALP govt 2010-13 would have to be one of the great bedshits in political history.

If the world can change profoundly one way in the space of 10 years it can change anyway it likes in the next 10.

Sure, which is why I said never say never.

Personally, I'm hoping for Labor to become more or less the incumbent, like the Coalition has been for much of the postwar period, with the centre of gravity for opposition shifting to the Greens and other crossbenchers. Though that's nothing more than my shopping list.

Sure, which is why I said never say never.

Personally, I'm hoping for Labor to become more or less the incumbent, like the Coalition has been for much of the postwar period, with the centre of gravity for opposition shifting to the Greens and other crossbenchers. Though that's nothing more than my shopping list.
Sounds like a terribly poor and backwards Australia. Especially giving more power to the Greens.

I think what also gets lost in the Tony “world’s greatest LOTO” Abbott fanfare is that the ALP govt had completely lost the plot in the eyes of the public.

Abbott could legitimately stand there and look a sensible alternative by comparison. He didn’t turn out to be one but the ALP govt 2010-13 would have to be one of the great beds hits in political history.
And, another thing that's changed is that both Labor and the Coalition have implemented much tougher leadership challenge rules.

The press had a field day with Labor on that.

Being predominantly right wing, they didn't go nearly so hard on the Coalition for their own appalling leadership squabbles, but the point is, it was a big part of Labor's downfall and now it's no longer something that they can pin on either party.

Sounds like a terribly poor and backwards Australia. Especially giving more power to the Greens.
LOL "backward". When the Greens are the only party of substance insisting we heed the science on climate change.

Sorry, I didn't realise I was engaging with a barracker.

LOL "backward". When the Greens are the only party of substance insisting we heed the science on climate change.

Sorry, I didn't realise I was engaging with a barracker.
Yes, they believe in degrowth, making everyone poorer in order to “save” the world. Should not be taken seriously by anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back