Remove this Banner Ad

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
An interesting column:

I agree with the author that SA Premier Peter Malinauskas could very well take his ambitions to federal politics. The possibility of reaching a prominent portfolio or PM is pretty remote, but it's there.

The possibility is remote because a person in a South Australian seat won't have the national profile or networks to become Labor leader. No South Australian or Tasmanian has ever been appointed a High Court judge since Federation.

Yet the possibility is there because, in my biased view as a South Aussie anti-Liberal, Malinauskas is very charismatic. When he smashed the 2022 state election, I thought he had an air of John F. Kennedy about him - a good speaker, with a young family man image. You cannot overlook charisma in politics - in fact, some studies suggest that it's almost everything (those studies where preschoolers are asked which candidate they would pick to captain a ship and they usually pick the election winner).

What other state politicians could you see making the move to federal politics ans going far? Daniel Andrews is a name that gets floated sometimes. But Victoria is a major state and he seems quite content with the impact he's making, coming up on ten years as premier.

I think someone mentioned Mark McGowan but then he decided to call it quits.

I can envisage Steven Miles making a run for the HoP in 2025, though Ryan would be a no-go with the Greens looking likely to establish a stronghold there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back