LNP will win the next federal election. Bookmark it.

Remove this Banner Ad

greyhound punter

All Australian
Feb 1, 2023
AFL Club
Essendon
LNP will win the next federal election.

My thesis:

The Australian economy will deteriorate over the next two years. High inflation, higher interest rates, house prices falling, unemployment rising.

The Australian populace will start to query what the ALP has actually done while in government, other than increase immigration levels to all time highs in the middle of a rental/housing crisis. If the LNP decide to wedge the ALP on immigration, then they will romp it in.

Andrew Hastie could easily lead the LNP to the next election and is PM material in the making. No doubt in my mind.

Your thoughts?

dreams never stop dreaming GIF

• Banned
Hastie is Antic's idea of a thinker, god help the Libs if this is where they end up.

Can you articulate exactly, after nearly a year in government, what the ALP has actually achieved that has improved the country?

I mean, raising immigration to all time highs while people are sleeping in cars and tents almost beggars belief.

At least with the LNP, they don't even try and hide their self interest. The ALP wheel out tired cliches about 'empathy' and 'caring' and then do the exact opposite.

I don't vote for either the ALP or LNP for what it is worth.

My thesis:
The Australian economy will deteriorate over the next two years. High inflation, higher interest rates, house prices falling, unemployment rising.

On the contrary.

Inflation is forecast to reduce to 4.5% by this year's end and 3% by 2024. Interest rate rise is expected to one more jump of 0.25 then that's it, followed by some cuts in 2024. House prices will drop 10% but they did in 2018-19 too and that didn't affect the Coalition in 2019.

Basically the worst of the economic pain we are in now, and will be reducing from later this year to stabilise next year. Next election can be delayed until mid 2025 if Albo wants to extend the period of better times before the election.

However given the Aston results and polling people are not blaming Labor for current economic times, and their super tax plan was widely popular. Newspoll analysis shows the mortgage belt is in fact moving behind the ALP. So they aren't copping the blame for the interest rates, the mortgage payers still see them as better than the Coalition in that respect.

The Australian populace will start to query what the ALP has actually done while in government, other than increase immigration levels to all time highs in the middle of a rental/housing crisis. If the LNP decide to wedge the ALP on immigration, then they will romp it in.

It's well known the LNP are going to do the exact same thing (ageing population requires replacement workers). We'll see how willing the LNP are to conduct a migrant brown people scare campaign after the Referendum.

Andrew Hastie could easily lead the LNP to the next election and is PM material in the making. No doubt in my mind.

Your thoughts?

I see Hastie as a 2028 prospect, because they are sort of keeping him under wraps now. He isn't getting prominent positioning and is not in a prominent portfolio (unfortunately for him war isn't going to break out).

But will he win? Beyond his SAS background there really isn't much too him. But he'll play that up to the max and no one will be willing to critique him on that.

I would still say the Coalition's biggest problem is the demographic changes they face in upcoming years. More diversity, more Gen Z, less religion, less homeowners, less white folk, more Asian. All these things spell trouble. The population growth is coming in major capital cities where they are weak, not regional areas where they are stronger.

My thesis:

Your thoughts?

What odds do you want?

I remember jokes around 2008 about Campbell Newman being the highest ranked Liberal in the country when he was mayor of Brisbane. Five years later we had Tony Abbott as PM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember jokes around 2008 about Campbell Newman being the highest ranked Liberal in the country when he was mayor of Brisbane. Five years later we had Tony Abbott as PM.
Dutton's still fighting all the good battles of 2008 as well. I think you guys keep with this line of attack, it's going brilliantly.

My thesis:

Your thoughts?
Whilst our increased immigration levels are one of the ALPs few failures, there are two problems with that part of your argument:

1) Libs are even dumber on immigration and will increase it to support their property portfolios and suppress wages

2) One policy wouldn't compensate for all their other fails.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can you articulate exactly, after nearly a year in government, what the ALP has actually achieved that has improved the country?

I mean, raising immigration to all time highs while people are sleeping in cars and tents almost beggars belief.

At least with the LNP, they don't even try and hide their self interest. The ALP wheel out tired cliches about 'empathy' and 'caring' and then do the exact opposite.

I don't vote for either the ALP or LNP for what it is worth.
The expectations on the ALP have been lowered due to the shitshow of the last LNP government. Achieving nothing is to be expected, anything more is a bonus. The public are quite readily believing that it is LNP fault for screwing the economy and now reject the myth of "superior economic managers"
With the LNP seemingly overfocused on culture war crap, they also fail to articulate a plan for improvement. Dutton's recent appearance on Insiders (after Aston bye election) confirmed this "I have no policy that I am going to tell you" was his essential words.

They've lost too many core members for the next election.

I generally voted Liberal, except when I voted for things like SA Best .

I doubt I'd ever vote Liberal again in their current form and I'll encourage family members to never as well

You don't forget the disaster that was Scott Morrison in 1 term.

My thesis:

Your thoughts?
This is the state of our “everyone gets a ribbon” if a few paragraphs pass for a “thesis”!🤣

Key differences:

ALP MUCH more united now. Albo does a much better job keeping everyone on the same goal (notice not a shred of Labor disunity over the Voice?) and Penny has the Senate running like a well oiled machine. Factional wars sorted out (Fitzgibbons being out of the party helps)

Climate wars over. Abbott rose to prominence with that scare campaign. Last election plus a period of unprecedented fires and floods put an end to climate scare campaigns.

Abbott personally came across as a nicer person than Dutton (not nice overall). He was stupid and mis-spoke but he didn't run the race based scare campiagn Dutton has.

Housing market was bad under Abbott but is worse now, more people paying off a mortgage for longer and those people favour Labor.

Demographics different, more Asian, more diverse, more LGBT friendly, less religious. In those times even the ALP weren't game to pass same sex marriage.

Bigger crossbench. Even with Abbott's big 2013 win the Liberals would have only just squeaked out a majority if they had to contend with the Teals and Greens.

The Liberals can't run the same campaign as they did in 2010-2013.

The LNP have been more pro worker than the ALP over the last 5 years.....which beggars belief in itself.
Really? This seems to be total nonsense, can you explain how?

The LNP have consistently favored lower wages opposing any increase. They have opposed workers rights. They have reduced regulation and favored big business and the very rich. They have given billions and billions to the rich (eg the jobkeeper to buinesses that actually increased profits during pandemic, massive tax cuts for the rich) and these costs will be borne by the average working Australian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back