Acceptable Behaviour for an elected politician ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's the bloke that compared her to Malcom X, Gandhi, or whatever terrible call it was?
You goose. What that poster said was that like Gandhi and Malcolm X, she didn’t care what people thought of her. (I think this footage proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.)

But you ignored that because everything’s about the gotcha.

Please do not expect a thoughtful answer. It is not your right to question the virtue signal, the signaller, or their motivation for the signalling. They've signalled their virtue, therefore they are better than you. Thats how it works. My favourite but was the bold though, genuinely hilarious stuff.
In other news, indigenous people have been treated like utter schitte for over 200 years but that doesn’t fit into your narrative here.

whataboutism at its finest.
No, your post is whataboutism at its finest.

Are you seriously suggesting that addressing "virtue signalling" is more important than acknowledging the schitte that our indigenous brothers and sisters* have copped for over two centuries?

The poster I was responding to gives no indication of being remotely interested in working towards a better life for the original inhabitants of this land; just wants to search for potential gotchas.

So crowing about "virture signalling" is the only game for them. Addressing indigenous disadvantage doesn't get a look in.

*Oops, I didn't mention trans people, so you'd better have a go at me for that.

Last edited:
No, your post is whataboutism at its finest.

Are you seriously suggesting that addressing "virtue signalling" is more important than acknowledging the schitte that our indigenous brothers and sisters* have copped for over two centuries?

The poster I was responding to gives no indication of being remotely interested in working towards a better life for the original inhabitants of this land; just wants to search for potential gotchas.

So crowing about "virture signalling" is the only game for them. Addressing indigenous disadvantage doesn't get a look in.

*Oops, I didn't mention trans people, so you'd better have a go at me for that.
Sorry man I gotta disagree with you here. His comment is in relation to a discussion about Thorpe's conduct; and attempts to excuse/justify that conduct. A poster was trying to state how her conduct wasn't racist because of power hierarchies or some other rubbish (worth mentioning that said poster has headed for the Hills when pressed on his position).

There's no excuse for that (Thorpe's) behaviour, and trying to justify its based on historical grievances is intact whataboutism at its finest. Or maybe it's taking eye for an eye to its extreme lengths?

*Note I'm not defending Burges conduct or motives, moreso focusing on people trying to justify Thorpe's behaviour.

Sorry man I gotta disagree with you here. His comment is in relation to a discussion about Thorpe's conduct; and attempts to excuse/justify that conduct. A poster was trying to state how her conduct wasn't racist because of power hierarchies or some other rubbish (worth mentioning that said poster has headed for the Hills when pressed on his position).

There's no excuse for that (Thorpe's) behaviour, and trying to justify its based on historical grievances is intact whataboutism at its finest. Or maybe it's taking eye for an eye to its extreme lengths?

*Note I'm not defending Burges conduct or motives, moreso focusing on people trying to justify Thorpe's behaviour.
Thank you for your nuanced and respectful comment.

I think your comment holds weight if we're only looking at whether or not Thorpe's behaviour was racist. (BTW, I have not expressed any opinion on Thorpe's behaviour, though I will say now, having had decades in events management, it's nothing that I didn't see with tiresome regularity outside venues most weeks.)

The big picture here is that while this thread is elevated by the odd insightful, balanced comment, for the most part, those critical of Thorpe are going no deeper than essentially saying "Thorpe says she's against racism but look! This video proves SHE is a racist derp derp".

It's dismayingly juvenile, gotcha stuff.

Thank you for your nuanced and respectful comment.

I think your comment holds weight if we're only looking at whether or not Thorpe's behaviour was racist. (BTW, I have not expressed any opinion on Thorpe's behaviour, though I will say now, having had decades in events management, it's nothing that I didn't see with tiresome regularity outside venues most weeks.)

The big picture here is that while this thread is elevated by the odd insightful, balanced comment, for the most part, those critical of Thorpe are going no deeper than essentially saying "Thorpe says she's against racism but look! This video proves SHE is a racist derp derp".

It's dismayingly juvenile, gotcha stuff.
Tbh I don't think the bolded should even be considered in dispute.

I do understand where you're coming from WRT the gotcha stuff. In saying that however, if you're championing anti-racism, being blatantly racist does undermine your own legitimacy/credibility. It doesn't undermine the fight against racism, just that individuals ability to fight for that cause imo.

That said, I appreciate that there are probably people from both camps (legitimate criticism vs. looking for a gotcha opportunity). I'll leave it upto individual discretion to determine who is who.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that this recent episode has just confirmed what my suspicions already were of Lydia Thorpe. It isn't that the cause she's advocating isn't noble, she just isn't the right person to be leading it (and to be frank I think her actions are guided by self interest more than people care to admit, but that's just my personal opinion).

IMO she is womba, not because She is black, white or brindle.

She womba because of her words and actions, attention at any cost.
I place her in the Pauline box, over with the Sky After Dark mob.

unfortunately, its starting to feel that she needs this divisiveness - and is happy to drive it.

So the defence of Lidia Thorpe basically boils down to, some indigenous people have been treated poorly at some stage so therefore, Lidia has a free rein to do anything she wants and she must not be judged.
Who said that?

You realise that when passing sentencing in a court of law, judge considers all the relevant factors of the case?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the defence of Lidia Thorpe basically boils down to, some indigenous people have been treated poorly at some stage so therefore, Lidia has a free rein to do anything she wants and she must not be judged.
It is a remarkable fall from grace for Lidia. Only a couple of weeks ago, she was the poster girl for Skynews, Heraldsun, 3AW, 2GB et al. when she publicly came out in favour of the 'No vote'. She was proof that first nations' people were divided on the Voice.

Now she is a hate filled racist not fit for public office.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You goose. What that poster said was that like Gandhi and Malcolm X, she didn’t care what people thought of her. (I think this footage proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.)

But you ignored that because everything’s about the gotcha.
It amazes me how many people think an analogy is a direct comparison.

It is, of course, not.

It is a remarkable fall from grace for Lidia. Only a couple of weeks ago, she was the poster girl for Skynews, Heraldsun, 3AW, 2GB et al. when she publicly came out in favour of the 'No vote'. She was proof that first nations' people were divided on the Voice.

Now she is a hate filled racist not fit for public office.

1. First nations' people are divided on the Voice.
2. She was a hate filled racists more than a few weeks ago.

1. First nations' people are divided on the Voice.
2. She was a hate filled racists more than a few weeks ago.
Point 2 didn't matter a couple of weeks ago when they thought her a champion for the No vote. I am just noting how quickly and shallow they are in forming their opinion.

Point 1: When did unanimous approval become a mandatory requirement?

Point 2 didn't matter a couple of weeks ago when they thought her a champion for the No vote. I am just noting how quickly and shallow they are in forming their opinion.

Point 1: When did unanimous approval become a mandatory requirement?

Point 2. The weekend issue didn't change opinions. She'd been a loon for a long time.

Point 1. She wasn't the only proof of division. You brought this up by the way.

A few weeks ago now, Thorpe was outraged that the NO campaign used her image in adds opposing the referendum. She went on to say that she had not made up her mind if she was going to support or not support the Voice to Parliament yet even though she is the head of the curiously named "Progressive NO".

She seems to lie repeatedly and is very aggressive.

It was after her stunt at the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras that a few colleagues and I started to question whether she is suffering from some type of mental illness given her erratic and aggressive behaviour.

The incident at the Melbourne strip club where she was accosting people all night inside the club and "..was very animated and argumentative..." (David Ross, general manager of Maxine's Gentlemen's Club) and "...she was going up to white men in the crowd and telling them that they'd stolen her land.", just adds further doubts as to her state of mind.

We have speculated that she may well indeed suffer from a delusional disorder specifically GD (grandiose delusions) which could well be a symptom of some wider psychiatric problem. If that is the case, then I retract everything that I have written about her over the preceding months because mental illness is a very serious matter and should not be used to attack nor condemn people whose actions are as a consequence of mental illness.

I will continue to refrain from commenting on Lidia Thorpe until such time as it becomes obvious that she has is not suffering from psychiatric problems.

This post is not an attempt to undermine nor denigrate her in any way. Mental illness is a real and very serious problem and is not to be referred to in a flippant way.

A few weeks ago now, Thorpe was outraged that the NO campaign used her image in adds opposing the referendum. She went on to say that she had not made up her mind if she was going to support or not support the Voice to Parliament yet even though she is the head of the curiously named "Progressive NO".

She seems to lie repeatedly and is very aggressive.

It was after her stunt at the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras that a few colleagues and I started to question whether she is suffering from some type of mental illness given her erratic and aggressive behaviour.

The incident at the Melbourne strip club where she was accosting people all night inside the club and "..was very animated and argumentative..." (David Ross, general manager of Maxine's Gentlemen's Club) and "...she was going up to white men in the crowd and telling them that they'd stolen her land.", just adds further doubts as to her state of mind.

We have speculated that she may well indeed suffer from a delusional disorder specifically GD (grandiose delusions) which could well be a symptom of some wider psychiatric problem. If that is the case, then I retract everything that I have written about her over the preceding months because mental illness is a very serious matter and should not be used to attack nor condemn people whose actions are as a consequence of mental illness.

I will continue to refrain from commenting on Lidia Thorpe until such time as it becomes obvious that she has is not suffering from psychiatric problems.

This post is not an attempt to undermine nor denigrate her in any way. Mental illness is a real and very serious problem and is not to be referred to in a flippant way.

ya, she appears unwell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back