Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not sending anything back. North still need to add to the 10 pick to get the deal done.
Polecat can sit there until the last day of trade.
Nah pick 10 is decent. I can see us giving North their third round pick back (currently 46) in order to get the trade done ASAP in order to look at further improving our draft position.

That pick will be our sixth pick in the draft, and I really can't see us drafting 6 kids this year. Given the amount of talk of players that we are looking at trading in, I wouldn't be surprised if we capped out at 4 in the ND.

Nah pick 10 is decent. I can see us giving North their third round pick back (currently 46) in order to get the trade done ASAP in order to look at further improving our draft position.

That pick will be our sixth pick in the draft, and I really can't see us drafting 6 kids this year. Given the amount of talk of players that we are looking at trading in, I wouldn't be surprised if we capped out at 4 in the ND.

That values Polec at pick 17. Quite a bargain for North considering they're willing to pay him $750k pa for 5 years.

That values Polec at pick 17. Quite a bargain for North considering they're willing to pay him $750k pa for 5 years.

Does it really matter what it values Polec at if we're not planning to use that third rounder anyway?

Would that be the way we are thinking?

I guarantee that we’ll be better off without him.

People who won't play team football never win anything.

It’ll be interesting to see the effect of his absence. Correlation doesn’t always equal causation of course but we didn’t perform very well when he was off with his foot injury in 2015.

If we give a 3rd round pick back then I'd like them to give us a future 3rd.

I don't think sticking to our contract guns on Polec is a failure on the part of the club.

It's s**t, but if that's what we think he's worth, we shouldn't be throwing our pay structure out to appease a guy who currently doesn't have a top 10 B&F finish.

The problem with this is in the space of one season, and a season in which Polec dominated, the club values Rockliff more important and more durable and worthy of better contract terms than Polec. That’s not just wrong by the club, it’s outright insulting to Polec.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given it seems like clubs will be scrambling over draft picks and points for academy picks etc. the value of having that deal closed early - allowing us to be a first mover in future discussions - may well outweigh the lost draft point value from that trade alone.

On Nine news here tonite they spoke of a "mass exodus at Port" - apart from Polec and Chad that we know about, they reckon that Karl Amon, Jasper Pittard and Jack Hombsch "have all been attracting interest from other clubs" :D

with an ageing list, going to the draft for the next two seasons might be helpful

It’ll be interesting to see the effect of his absence. Correlation doesn’t always equal causation of course but we didn’t perform very well when he was off with his foot injury in 2015.
We didn't play well this season when he has achieved what will probably be his highest BnF placing.

We didn't play well this season when he has achieved what will probably be his highest BnF placing.

Yeah but the assertion is that we’ll play better without him and the only previous sample available to us is the 2015 season. It’s gonna be hard to know either way because improvement (or otherwise) could be due to any number of factors (e.g. changes in game plan, new players, other teams getting better/worse).

I really want North's 28.

10+28 for Polec, 45 and 46. Values Polec at 11.

Trade 21, 27 and 28 to Sydney for 12, 30 and 34, with 34 going to North for our original pick 45.

Leaving North with Polec, 34, 39, 46, 53 and 64, Sydney with 21, 27, 28 and 45 and Port with 9,10, 12 and 30.

Everyone can be happy with that. North have enough points for Thomas while still getting Polec, Sydney have enough points for Blakey, and we get two extra first round draft picks.

Trade 21, 27 and 28 to Sydney for 12, 30 and 34, with 34 going to North for our original pick 45.

Leaving North with Polec, 34, 39, 46, 53 and 64, Sydney with 21, 27, 28 and 45 and Port with 9,10, 12 and 30.

Everyone can be happy with that. North have enough points for Thomas while still getting Polec, Sydney have enough points for Blakey, and we get two extra first round draft picks.

Yeah I could live with that.

Thats pretty similar to what I posted here about a month ago: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-trade-to-north.1132121/page-24#post-57224157
We seem to currently have: 12, 22, 30, 45, 48, 84
They have: 9, 27, 40, 53, 63, 81

If they give us just pick 9 for him, they end up down 1469 points
But if they give up 9 and 27 and we give back 45 and 48 it makes him worth about 1523 points

Given they will need to use 27 for points on Thomas, swapping it our for 45 and 48 still has them pretty much in the same position (well 50 pts behind - there may be some way we could sort that point gap out).

Ultimately if we could get to that position we are left with: 9, 12, 22, 27, 30. If we want 5 picks thats pretty reasonable, but again, if Sydney need points for Blakey they hold 11.

22 + 30 for 11 gains them with 145 extra points, and would leave us with 9, 11, 12, 27.

Perhaps Sydney and North then do a late swap to get a few extra points to North, ie:
Sydney swap 31 (606 pts) for 40 and 63 (541 points).

Does it really matter what it values Polec at if we're not planning to use that third rounder anyway?

Would that be the way we are thinking?

Yes, absolutely it does matter. Just because we're not likely to use pick 46 to draft a player doesn't mean it isn't valuable as part of another trade.

Given it seems like clubs will be scrambling over draft picks and points for academy picks etc. the value of having that deal closed early - allowing us to be a first mover in future discussions - may well outweigh the lost draft point value from that trade alone.

We're not hitting the draft for points so where's the advantage for us? If anything, doing such a lopsided deal heavily advantages North and weakens our trading position for nothing more than time to on-trade that pick 10.

IMO it's almost certain that any trade for Polec will involve North's pick 10. That doesn't stop us setting up other potential deals and then pulling the trigger once the North deal is sorted. We can sit on the North trade until the 11th hour unless North stumps up a reasonable trade commensurate with what they're going to pay him.

Sydney are probably looking to offload their 12 due to taking Blakey - but how does the F/S or academy matching work exactly? I thought there was a provision that bids needed to be matched by picks in the same round?

IMO it's almost certain that any trade for Polec will involve North's pick 10. That doesn't stop us setting up other potential deals and then pulling the trigger once the North deal is sorted. We can sit on the North trade until the 11th hour unless North stumps up a reasonable trade commensurate with what they're going to pay him.

Good chance I reckon the trade has already been agreed between North and Port. It's one thing for Polec to have publicly said he wants to move to North, it's another for North to put up media/interviews with Polec stating things like him sitting down with Brad in the coming weeks to talk strategy for next season... there's an air of certainty (and let's be honest, most trades are uncertain until a presser comes out) about it that makes me think both clubs have signed off and will get it done early. I hope so at least, I doubt either club wants it to drag out with what looks like a pretty busy window.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back