Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

We play with one less at the stoppages most of the time so it would be nothing new.
We have gone away from the stacks on approach at stoppages since Naismith came into the team and we are miles better for doing so.
I am not suggesting that Macca doesn't put his body over the ball when it is his turn to do so.
Macca will not be playing in and under, he never has and there is no need for him to do so with JPK, Mitch and Parker in the team.
It will also be easier for Macca to defend standing off the stoppage because all he needs to do is block the space in front of the Bravedogs players. i.e. they are going to come to him, he won't or shoudn't need to chase.
With respect the Bulldogs try to outnumber the opposition at the contest and if they cant get their hands on the ball will tackle and force a spillage of the ball. Its the old Hawthorn tactic. They will sweat on Kennedy in particular. If we don't match them in numbers at the ball we will lose. And anyone who stands off the pack risks being a witches hat. And his chase is really pathetic now because he is so slow. He has to get into the packs.

With respect the Bulldogs try to outnumber the opposition at the contest and if they cant get their hands on the ball will tackle and force a spillage of the ball. Its the old Hawthorn tactic. They will sweat on Kennedy in particular. If we don't match them in numbers at the ball we will lose. And anyone who stands off the pack risks being a witches hat. And his chase is really pathetic now because he is so slow. He has to get into the packs.

GWS did the same thing last week. One less at the stoppage means we have +1 when they kick it forward.

I sense that you don't rate him. I hope he has a ball tearer of a game.

Thought he was ok. Played a shut down role on Daniel and though he didn't get a lot of the ball, used it well when he did.

Some people need to come to grips with the fact that the coaching staff and players rate what he gives us when he's out there even though it might not show up on the stat sheet.

Thought he was ok. Played a shut down role on Daniel and though he didn't get a lot of the ball, used it well when he did.

Some people need to come to grips with the fact that the coaching staff and players rate what he gives us when he's out there even though it might not show up on the stat sheet.
You need to come to grips with that we are allowed our thoughts on the slow hack. WDTIOTE

Yep!
This is how I saw his game.
Negating role on Daniel & provided some calm decision making in the third & 4th when the Bulldogs & umpires made their hard run at us.
Yes!
I can comment because unlike many of you guys, I watched the replay.
Do yourselves a favour & watch it! Then comment!

Yep!
This is how I saw his game.
Negating role on Daniel & provided some calm decision making in the third & 4th when the Bulldogs & umpires made their hard run at us.
Yes!
I can comment because unlike many of you guys, I watched the replay.
Do yourselves a favour & watch it! Then comment!

Ill never watch the replay.

I watched it and I commented. He was peaheart soft!
He held Daniel to his lowest possession for months.
He did that all the while he was lame.
He was rated a 7 by most judges which was in our top percentile.

I know you can't stand him though.
That's another matter & an opinion you are quite entitled to.

I won't blame ANY of our defenders because once again, it was our high possession winning but plodding midfield that couldn't get back quick enough to apply pressure on the forward 50 entries which in turn let them score some easy goals.

Scores were close when Hanners went off. He is one of the quick ones that gets back first for assistance. When he went off, Naismith was forced back on & he hardly had a rest so we pretty much bled repetitive entries into our defensive 50 which eventually broke us.

Our guys were terrific under the circumstances.
I thought (my opinion) Macca not being there would have left us with a worse loss.

Next year will all be a different story but the coaches & leaders will take care of what Macca's future holds. :)

He held Daniel to his lowest possession for months.
He did that all the while he was lame.
He was rated a 7 by most judges which was in our top percentile.

I know you can't stand him though.
That's another matter & an opinion you are quite entitled to.

I won't blame ANY of our defenders because once again, it was our high possession winning but plodding midfield that couldn't get back quick enough to apply pressure on the forward 50 entries which in turn let them score some easy goals.

Scores were close when Hanners went off. He is one of the quick ones that gets back first for assistance. When he went off, Naismith was forced back on & he hardly had a rest so we pretty much bled repetitive entries into our defensive 50 which eventually broke us.

Our guys were terrific under the circumstances.
I thought (my opinion) Macca not being there would have left us with a worse loss.

Next year will all be a different story but the coaches & leaders will take care of what Macca's future holds. :)
It's not that I can't stand him, quite the opposite, I think he has been terrific for us...prior to this year. We must be reading different ratings as I've seen scores of 4, which is right about where I rated him. His skill cannot be understated but he's old and slow. By all reports he's a great leader but I didn't see that yesterday, I saw an argumentative plodder. For his sake, I hope he makes the right call 'cos he may well go down the potential Jimmy Bartel road a la O'Keefe and Teddy. This of course is my opinion too mate!:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that I can't stand him, quite the opposite, I think he has been terrific for us...prior to this year. We must be reading different ratings as I've seen scores of 4, which is right about where I rated him. His skill cannot be understated but he's old and slow. By all reports he's a great leader but I didn't see that yesterday, I saw an argumentative plodder. For his sake, I hope he makes the right call 'cos he may well go down the potential Jimmy Bartel road a la O'Keefe and Teddy. This of course is my opinion too mate!:)
I think those that stand next to him in the firing line are the best ones to make the call in our system. It is a very confronting and honest assessment from each of their peers that all our players go through but it can't be done mid season with a captain. If his team mates think he is too slow then he has a hard few months coming his way but I think with a pre season under his belt he will see out his contract next year & so he should, much as Teddy has.
We have had Craig Bolton, Stewy Maxfield, pull the pin mid season once they realised they were in trouble keeping up with the game.

What's done is done now. We know that we came close in a year that we blooded 7 players, 5 of whom will be among the first picked every week in the next 4 to 8 years if all goes well. Aliir Aliir, Mills, Hewitt, Papley & Naismith, who in particular will benefit the most as he has just played 4 finals out of a total of 13 career games, as our first ruckman. He has a very steep learning curve & was instrumental in us even getting this far & it is no coincidence that Kennedy's form rose sharply on his inclusion into the team.

Chins up! At least we have a young group that are capable going forward which will make the retirements of our much loved older players a little easier to bear knowing that we will still be contesting for the fianls for a few years to come.

How good will it be to watch Aliir Aliir?

Well if people want to criticise they should!
You can't cover everything live at the ground or on first view.
I want to crticise and not watch. It was a statistically questionable result and should be investigated. That aside all year ive posted about my concerns about a lack of speed and how gws and wb have our measure accordingly. We need speed and i need to criticise.

Largely shutting out an opposition second year midfielder is not a good enough contribution for a captain of the club. I've always grown up with the idea that the captain is the best player, they don't always have to be, but they need to be there or thereabouts. I think Mcveigh is really good at keeping the boys focused on holding the structures we need, but I think he gets us to put our emphasis on that rather than the hard nosed stuff we need to shellshock the opposition into dropping theirs. No surprise that we were amazing in the games he missed in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back