Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

His ego won't allow him to do that

then agree he should retire if thats the case

if he is stepping down as skipper and willing to try his luck knowing he may not play seniors unless form warrants then stay

His ego won't allow him to do that
I raised this earlier in the year. He clearly cant keep up with the pace of the modern game. There is a direct relationship between his retirement and keeping Mitchell. He should retire in the best interests of the club. If he is such a great on-field coach (didn't see it on Saturday) then the club can renumerate him through a coaching contract next season.

I'd give him another preseason. He played some handy games this year off the back of no preparation. But he should step down as captain.

And if Mitchell would stay if he retired, then he should.

But it sounds like Mitchell is gone regardless following the GF, so that's a non-issue, I suspect.

Not sure mate. I think it only applies to Buddy. Surely the retirement of a contracted player frees up salary cap

I've definitely seen players say they were retiring early to do the right thing by the club. But maybe the rules have changed.

I'd give him another preseason. He played some handy games this year off the back of no preparation. But he should step down as captain.

And if Mitchell would stay if he retired, then he should.

But it sounds like Mitchell is gone regardless following the GF, so that's a non-issue, I suspect.

I've definitely seen players say they were retiring early to do the right thing by the club. But maybe the rules have changed.

what are you basing the mitchell is gone comments on ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd always assumed as much. I felt the andrew wu article was about softening up expectations around him leaving. But the certainty of the comments seemed surprising to me.

Where does this idea that McVeigh is selfish or has an out of control ego come from?

Pretty bloody ironic that those calling him selfish also feel entitled enough to demand a 31 year old premiership captain end his career at their whim.

Where does this idea that McVeigh is selfish or has an out of control ego come from?

Pretty bloody ironic that those calling him selfish also feel entitled enough to demand a 31 year old premiership captain end his career at their whim.
Because he put his hand up to play on Saturday when he wasn't fit to play

Not sure mate. I think it only applies to Buddy. Surely the retirement of a contracted player frees up salary cap
If I recall correctly, think Bradshaw's contract was included in our cap until the end of 2012 when it expired.

Selfish is probably the wrong word, he obviously put his hand up to play because he wanted to help the team win. It would have been a hard call to make because on the one hand we needed fit players but on the other hand the team needed his experience. He probably shouldn't have played, but injuries in the finals series cruelled our depth so I can understand why he made the decision he did.

He'll have to give up the captaincy if he plays on, I reckon. He's played a few handy games this year but the captain should lead by example and I don't know if he can do that anymore.

He'll have to give up the captaincy if he plays on, I reckon. He's played a few handy games this year but the captain should lead by example and I don't know if he can do that anymore.

Yeah, I'm not of the belief that your captain has to be your 'best player', because leadership is a separate quality from footballing ability, but they need to able to play at their best in big moments.

See: the fairly s**t footballer Nick Maxwell in the 2010 GF.

injuries in the finals series cruelled our depth
Lets stop with this fantasy. We have 45 players on our list and we had 40 available for the Grand Final. Aliir was the only one of the missing 5 that had actually played more than a single senior match all year (the others were Talia, O'Riordan, Johnson and Reid)

Lets stop with this fantasy. We have 45 players on our list and we had 40 available for the Grand Final. Aliir was the only one of the missing 5 that had actually played more than a single senior match all year (the others were Talia, O'Riordan, Johnson and Reid)

Should clarify, when Aliir went down we had no-one else who could play that particular role of taking the game on from the back half. I know it sounds strange to say this about someone who's only played a handful of games, but I reckon his inclusion did make a difference to the side.

Oh good, another blue about to start.

Not at all, I respect the Sandgroper, besides, I wouldn't get into a blue with him in public as his research room is bigger than mine :p

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back