Unrestricted Free Agent Jed Bews [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Clearly on the outer now at Geelong, with a fairly settled backline and the likes of Mullin being preferred over him.

At 30, he might be worth a look from a younger inexperienced team who just want an older head and mature body around the place?

Geelong would probably even delist him to allow someone to pick him up for free as a DFA.

We could do worse. Shiels retires, Bews would be a good candidate to fulfil that senior “been there done that” role. Not sure he’s taking a spot from any young small lockdown defender either. We haven’t had a really good one in living memory. So why not get a washed up one to pass on some wisdom ? Coaching role would be discussed too.

We could do worse. Shiels retires, Bews would be a good candidate to fulfil that senior “been there done that” role. Not sure he’s taking a spot from any young small lockdown defender either. We haven’t had a really good one in living memory. So why not get a washed up one to pass on some wisdom ? Coaching role would be discussed too.
We are absolutely dying for a lockdown small, i'd really like him playing for us

Bewsy has done his time with us and others have gone past him, but he's got more to offer than just being 'washed up' IMO.

Shoulder surgery really knocked him about last year, and due to his limit in talent he's forged a career by putting his body on the line week in, week out.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if after a year of getting himself healthy at reserves level that he has a bit of a renaissance next year at another club.

The club will know how shot his body is but if he is still physically capable of playing AFL I am not throwing the guy out.

Start of the season everyone had written Parfitt off but he has shown he is capable of coming into the team and doing a role.

We will lose 3-4 players to retirement. You are always going to have a handful of guys injured at a minimum. You need some AFL standard players in the VFL to call upon in need. On top of the retirements there are 3-4 other guys that could be delisted without blinking really so we don't need to push people out to turnover the list. It would basically be Bews v pick 80 for a list spot.

We've got a couple of guys back from injury in the last couple of games that has pushed Mannagh and Mullin out of the AFL side and they would improve the VFL side but the last VFL match we played there would be lucky to be 3 guys that have any hope of being AFL standard in 2025.

The club will know how shot his body is but if he is still physically capable of playing AFL I am not throwing the guy out.

Start of the season everyone had written Parfitt off but he has shown he is capable of coming into the team and doing a role.

We will lose 3-4 players to retirement. You are always going to have a handful of guys injured at a minimum. You need some AFL standard players in the VFL to call upon in need. On top of the retirements there are 3-4 other guys that could be delisted without blinking really so we don't need to push people out to turnover the list. It would basically be Bews v pick 80 for a list spot.

We've got a couple of guys back from injury in the last couple of games that has pushed Mannagh and Mullin out of the AFL side and they would improve the VFL side but the last VFL match we played there would be lucky to be 3 guys that have any hope of being AFL standard in 2025.
I think with the retirements we'd likely offer him a contract. Others may offer more though

Playing VFL - doing good things for the kids we have but is down the pecking order.

I'd suggest he'l play AFL again this year to cover off a small defender when we need coverage.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think Bews makes sense for North because he’s not good ball in hand. These limited role player types often perform better in strong sides where their role can be tailored to fit their skill set

Don’t think Bews makes sense for North because he’s not good ball in hand. These limited role player types often perform better in strong sides where their role can be tailored to fit their skill set

I was North I'd pick him up since he will be free - they don't have to play him in the firsts but he's a big bodied tough defender who has played in successful sides.

He would be picked up to cover some young kids for a year or two and provide some professionalism and guidance.

I was North I'd pick him up since he will be free - they don't have to play him in the firsts but he's a big bodied tough defender who has played in successful sides.

Experience cant be under estimated. Add two or three guys ..even if they are in and out ..makes more sense than another kid.

After Rioli got 4 when we played Port and last week vs GCS.... not sure we should be bailing on him just yet.

But... he got the maximum out of himself and for years took every small forward in the game and didnt have his colours lowered too often.

Could teach a lot.

After Rioli got 4 when we played Port and last week vs GCS.... not sure we should be bailing on him just yet.

But... he got the maximum out of himself and for years took every small forward in the game and didnt have his colours lowered too often.

Could teach a lot.

I say he would be good off field as well… standards etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back