Senior Joe Daniher (2020-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane Lions star Joe Daniher trying to rectify ‘inconsistent’ form

Rumour has it that Brisbane Lions star Joe Daniher is so removed from the AFL world when he’s not playing or training that he doesn’t even have a TV at home to keep track of footy news and, more specifically, scrutiny of his own form.

Lions co-captain Lachie Neale suggested as much earlier this season soon after Daniher had been criticised for his performance in Brisbane’s 14-point, round 3 loss to the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium.

Such was the criticism that Lions coach Chris Fagan said it had become “pick on Joe Daniher week”.

However, Fagan, like Neale, said the former Essendon forward would not have even heard about his form being questioned such was his separation from the game when he wasn’t directly involved.

“I don’t spent a lot of time focusing on that sort of stuff,” Daniher confirmed ahead of Brisbane’s clash with the Bombers at the Gabba on Saturday night.

“I've played AFL for a long time now, so I’m pretty clear on the expectations I have on myself and the level of performance I need to be able to put out there for the footy club.

“All those things as you get older and as you play footy for a long time get a lot clearer, so I’ve got a good understanding of that.

“It’s my job to make sure that I can play to that level on a consistent basis, and probably this year, I’ve been a little bit inconsistent.

“Though it is early on in the year, so there’s plenty of time and opportunity to iron that out as we get into the important stage of the year.”

It was perhaps a different story when Daniher, now 29, was younger and living in the AFL fishbowl that is Melbourne.

“As a young footballer, you’re probably more inclined to be inconsistent because you don’t truly understand what the requirements of the team are and the challenges that come throughout a season,” he said.

“The more you play the more used to those situations you get.

“Now I feel like I’ve got terrific processes and procedures to follow to make sure that I have a good week on the training track, which gives me the best chance to perform on the weekend.”

Since losing to the Bulldogs, the Lions have won five successive games, but Daniher has warned rivals that there is plenty of improvement left in Brisbane.

“We’re probably looking more at how we’re playing regardless of the results, and there’s certainly a lot of factors in our game that we’d like to tidy up and improve upon … and we’re looking forward to that challenge,” he said.

“It’s fortunate that it is early on in the season, and we’ve still got time to do that, but it is also important to win enough games so that you can cement yourself in that top eight.

“It’s an exciting time to be at the Brisbane Lions. We’ve got a really strong mature group, and we’re pretty excited about what we can achieve.”

Daniher has also been impressed with Essendon’s form this season under the guidance of former Lion Brad Scott.

“I think they’ve surprised a few people. We know at their best that they’re a terrific pressure team and they’ve got a really attacking brand of footy too,” he said.

“We’re planning for them to be at their best and there’s no doubt they will be up at the Gabba.”

Daniher's in His Sweet Spot

daniher-cover.png

SSSSHHHHHH … don't mention Joe Daniher.

Of all the Lions who excelled in Saturday night's 43-point triumph over Gold Coast, there was only one coach Chris Fagan was hesitant to talk up.

Daniher.

Not because he didn't love every part of the full-forward's four-goal performance, but because – well – Fagan doesn't want to tempt fate and put the "mozz" on the 29-year-old while he's playing at such a high level.

Daniher is putting together his best stretch since heading to Brisbane from Essendon at the end of 2020, kicking 28 goals through the opening 10 rounds of the season.

Whether it's superstition, paranoia or simply not wanting to upset the applecart, Brisbane's coach wants to keep Daniher's form on the down low.

"I'm not talking him up," Fagan smiled in his post-match press conference.

"I get more annoyed when he has a bad one and everyone comes down on him like a ton of bricks.

"Ever since that game (in round three against the Western Bulldogs) when he copped all the criticism, he's played well.

"He's played terrific football, making the most of his chances and making the players around him better as well."

TR160523CH77956803.jpg

Against the Suns, Daniher kicked 4.1, opening his account with a lovely shot on the run from 40m, and finishing it with a high-flying mark on the wing.

He's now kicked 28.14 and would be among the leaders in the Lions' best and fairest count – not bad for a team in the top two.

"Don't put the mozz on him," Fagan laughed when questioned further about Daniher's form.

"He is confident. The funny part about it is someone would say 'he must be practicing more, he must be doing more of this or more of that', but he's just doing what he's always done.

"He's just in a sweet spot at the moment and happy in life and happy in his footy club and playing some really good football."

While Daniher did the most damage in the forward half, it was the Lions' midfield group that took control against the Suns, totally dominating the final quarter to run out easy winners.

'You've just got to wear it': Lions clear on tackle crackdown

BRISBANE forward Joe Daniher insists his teammates are clear on the AFL's adjudication of a dangerous tackle and "have to wear it" if they get it wrong.

St Kilda will challenge Dan Butler's controversial one-match ban for rough conduct at the Tribunal in the latest test for the League's crackdown.

Hawthorn legend turned commentator Jason Dunstall said in the broadcast he would be "horrified" if Butler was suspended for the chase-down tackle on Sydney's Nick Blakey.

The Lions are yet to watch the AFL's latest instructional video that some clubs have reportedly chosen not to view in fear of adding further doubt in the minds of their players.

A club spokesperson told AAP they would view the video later this week, but Daniher said there was no uncertainty among his team.

"We're pretty comfortable; the AFL is doing their best to protect us," he said on Tuesday.

"The game is so fast, there's tiny, one-second influences that change a good tackle to a bad tackle.

"Sometimes you've just got to wear that a little bit."

It will be a busy Tuesday night at the tribunal after Hawthorn captain James Sicily and Richmond forward Rhyan Mansell were referred directly at the weekend.

Sicily, in his first game back from a one-match ban, was again charged with rough conduct over the dangerous tackle that concussed Brisbane star Hugh McCluggage.

McCluggage was knocked out cold in the incident and didn't move for almost a minute before staggering off the field with the help of trainers.

He will miss Friday night's Gabba clash with the Swans but completed a light run on Tuesday and is "in good spirits", according to Daniher.

"After the game you couldn't tell anything happened to him," he said.

"It was a pretty serious incident, but hopefully it's nothing to worry about after he has a rest and comes back."

The Lions have lost games either side of a bye, both away to Adelaide and then Hawthorn.

All four of Brisbane's losses have come away from home and Daniher said reviews had revealed a theme.

"All those games there's been some patterns about how we've brought our energy to the contest," he said.

"I don't think it's got a whole lot to do with the ground, it's about bringing that effort and defensive pressure anywhere we play.

"We need to make sure we're more consistent than we're currently being."

Daniher said he was humbled by the code's commitment to uncle Neale Daniher's Big Freeze initiative since he was diagnosed with MND in 2013.

This year's campaign has already raised $2.3 million, with the Lions to host their own version of the annual MCG event at the Gabba before their game against Sydney.

"It's incredible what he's been able to achieve in his time since being diagnosed," he said.

"This disease is tough, it wears you down and continually challenges you. But Neale's inner strength and mental strength inspires everyone."

Four Lions Named in All-Australian Squad

The Brisbane Lions have had four players named in the AFL's All-Australian squad of 44.

Co-Captains Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews headline the inclusions following their strong seasons, while Joe Daniher and Charlie Cameron have also been selected in the extended squad.

2023 Joe Is A Different Beast

Often questioned over his big-game temperament, it was fitting Joe Daniher ripped the pivotal third quarter apart against Port Adelaide on Saturday night to catapult Brisbane into a preliminary final.

Although the lanky full-forward had plenty of mates who stepped up with the game on the line, his three-goal term took it from a contest in the balance to a one-sided runaway.

He finished with a career-best finals haul of five goals to bankroll the 48-point victory and leave the Lions two wins away from their first premiership in 20 years.

It continued a brilliant season for Daniher, arguably better than his 2017 All-Australian campaign for Essendon despite missing out on a second blazer last week.

Remember early in the season when he was being questioned for a lack of competitiveness?

That seems so long ago now.

There's a calm assurance, among a smattering of chaos, with Daniher's play in 2023, and it was on full display in the third quarter.

Port got within 10 points moments after half-time, and it was then Brisbane's potent forward line clicked into overdrive with a devastating eight-goal term.

And although milestone man Charlie Cameron had the sell-out Gabba crowd rocking with back-to-back renditions of John Denver's Country Roads midway through the term with consecutive goals in two minutes, it was old reliable – yes, reliable – Daniher that was there all night.

He was on the end of a clever Callum Ah Chee tap to kick his first goal in the third, led up beautifully to take a chest mark from a Hugh McCluggage pass for another, and rounded out the quarter with a brilliant gather, spin and left foot dribbled kick for his third.

His five goals from 16 disposals came despite the close attention of Aliir Aliir.

Since coming to Brisbane late in 2020, playing in September hasn't always been kind to Daniher.

Although he kicked the match-winner in the dying seconds of last year's elimination final win over Richmond, there hasn't been a lot to get excited about, kicking four goals from four finals.

But this year things are different.

He took contested marks early, was involved heavily when backing up Oscar McInerney in the ruck and was eventually rewarded with his goals.

Daniher had plenty of mates, though. Cam Rayner kicked three first-half goals when Brisbane really needed them, while McCluggage stepped up while Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale was being well held by Willem Drew.

Young wingman Jaspa Fletcher was magnificent in his first final, kicking three goals from 18 disposals to round out a Lions attack that was just too potent for the undermanned Port defence.

Whether Brisbane faces Carlton or Melbourne at the Gabba in a fortnight, the opposition will need to put plenty of time into Daniher, who has finally proved himself a week-to-week performer.

Jaspa & Joe Hit the Lions Record Books

Joe Daniher and Jaspa Fletcher have written themselves into the Brisbane Lions record books in Saturday night’s eight-goal Gabba qualifying final win over Port Adelaide.

Daniher became only the sixth Brisbane player to kick five or more goals in a final, while Fletcher, with three goals off the wing, delivered possibly the best finals debut in club history.

The two individual highlights came in a team full of highlights as the Lions stretched their Gabba finals record to 15-4 with their ninth-biggest finals win.

Daniher now sits behind only triple premiership heroes Alastair Lynch and Jonathan Brown for most goals in a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘He’d better be there’: Joe Daniher wants uncle Neale in a Lions scarf on grand final day

Brisbane Lions key forward Joe Daniher has had his ups and downs in football – injuries restricted him to just 15 games in his last three years with Essendon; he’s had well-documented issues with his goalkicking; and there have been times when his reliability and commitment have been questioned.

On Saturday, though, he’ll reach the denouement of the most fruitful year of his career, in which he’s played every game, kicked 58 goals, and has been the focal point of the Brisbane Lions’ push to a grand final. In front of goal, his technique and routine has never looked surer, whether 15 metres out or 55.

But, most of all, Daniher seems unfazed by the occasion. As the son of Essendon great Anthony, he grew up around the game. On-field, he often looks like a big kid. He still feels like a little one. “Everyone dreams back to that little kid that started loving the game,” he said on Monday. “Hopefully this week all our players can connect to that little kid that wanted to be out there.”

Daniher arrived in Brisbane at the end of the COVID-interrupted 2020 season, happy to escape Melbourne’s football-mad culture. He doesn’t even live in Brisbane, commuting to play and train from northern New South Wales. He very rarely consents to talk to the media. But he remains very aware that grand final week is for all fans of the game.

“We’ve got to be really aware of how important this week is to so many people,” he said. “This week is about the AFL fans as much as it is the players – it’s about the whole AFL community … we need to make sure that we give back to the people that support the game and love the game, and we’ll be doing that as best we can.”

Asked if the extended Daniher clan would be there to support him – not just Anthony and mother Joanne but his uncles Terry, Neale and Chris, who all played for the Bombers, he grinned. “I think a lot of them can go get their own tickets. I’ll look after a few, but I think my uncles and Dad can go find their own tickets for the game.”

Uncle Neale, he said, would be there, despite his ongoing battle with Motor Neurone Disease and his ongoing work as co-founder and patron of the Fight MND charity. “He’d better be there! I think we’ll find him a Brisbane scarf. It might be hard work to get it on him, but I think he’ll get there.”

For non-Collingwood supporters, it’s scarves and beanies all round. “We’ve obviously got a proud history that lies in Victoria, our Fitzroy fan base is incredible [but] we’ll take any supporters that want to come along for the ride. For anyone who’s not a fan of Collingwood, we’ll find you a scarf and a beanie to come along for the Brisbane ride,” Daniher said.

“I’ve never played in a grand final, so it’ll be a unique atmosphere I imagine. There’ll be a lot of Collingwood supporters, a lot of Brisbane supporters, but really just a lot of AFL supporters there. So it’s just a terrific opportunity to play in front of the whole football community and we’re really excited about it.”

The Lions have held an advantage over Collingwood in recent years, having not been beaten by the Magpies since Easter Thursday of 2019. It is history now. “We’ve had a few wins against the Pies, but we’ve seen their football this year is incredible. They play with a lot of flair, a lot of freedom, there’s a reason they finished on top of the ladder.”

This time, the Lions will have to play them at the MCG – where the Lions have won just one match in the past 15 attempts. That, Daniher said, was history too. “We’re fully aware that the grand final’s played at the MCG and we’re very excited by that, it’s a stadium that holds the most amount fans in there to enjoy the game, and we’re very excited about that.”

Horror luck, bombshell move and regaining form: Inside Joe Daniher’s Lions resurgence

When Joe Daniher arrived at Essendon in 2012, he was the son of a gun who watched footy for fun. With a celebrated surname and a Bombers royalty bloodline, he was somewhat defined by the game – at least externally.

Eleven years later — and after a horror run with injury and a bombshell free agency move — Daniher is a proud Lion with great life-balance on the eve of his first AFL Grand Final.

And yet the 200cm, media-shy Brisbane still remains somewhat of a mysterious figure to the footy world. And that’s the way, it seems, he likes it.

Daniher, 29, lives just outside renowned beachside town Byron Bay – meaning a near two-hour one-way commute, depending on traffic, to the club’s training base in Springfield, although he does stay in Brisbane if needed – and doesn’t own a TV. Although the latter fact wasn’t intentional, as he confirmed in a rare interview with Fox Footy’s Alastair Lynch last week.

“I don’t watch a lot of TV – and then the TV didn’t make it up in the truck to Brisbane,” Daniher told Fox Footy.

“The club organised for all my things to get shipped up (after his free agency move) and that got left behind, so it stayed in Melbourne and haven’t replaced it yet.

“I’m doing a lot of commuting and travelling to the footy club, so plenty of time spent on other things.”

It speaks to the sophrosyne Daniher – the son of former Swans and Bombers player Anthony Daniher and nephew of Neale, Chris and Terry Daniher – has found in recent years after a whirlwind end to his Essendon stint in the headlines.

Daniher was at his dynamic best in 2017 – his fifth year as a Bomber – booting 65 goals from all 23 Essendon games. He won the club’s best and fairest award and was named in the All-Australian team.

With a penetrating left boot, great hands and excellent athleticism for a player of Daniher’s size, it seemed like the AFL’s latest superstar had arrived.

By the end of 2020, Daniher was a shadow of that 2017 player.

One setback seemingly led to another and, consequently, created a heavy mental burden.

He managed just 15 games in three seasons as he has struggled with debilitating osteitis pubis problems, as well as calf issues.

Amid those frustrating injury issues, Daniher sought a trade to Sydney at the end of 2019, despite being contracted to the Bombers until at least the end of 2020. The Bombers and Swans, though, couldn’t agree on a suitable deal to send Daniher to the Swans.

The key forward fronted up again for the Bombers in 2020, but only managed four games due to ongoing groin troubles.

Daniher requested a move again – and this time it was easier to get through, as his free agency status meant he could nominate a club of choice. Buoyed by the Lions’ medical department, he chose the Lions.

Brisbane made an offer to Daniher, Essendon chose not to match it – and received Pick 7 as compensation – and Daniher was a Lion on a three-year contract reportedly worth around $750,000 per season.

Eighteen months later, Daniher extended his contract by two years, prompting speculation from rival clubs – and an AFL probe – that his initial 2020 contract was always a five-year deal but disguised as a three-year contract to bolster Essendon’s draft compensation at the time. Theoretically, clubs believed, had the deal gone through as a five-year one on less than $750,000 a season, the Bombers could’ve received a lower pick as a result.

How significant that AFL investigation was remains unclear. What we do know was there was no sanction handed to the Lions, who always maintained they’d done nothing wrong regarding Daniher’s contract extension

Nonetheless, it was another headline Daniher would rather have avoided after such a luckless run.

Yet as so often happens with injury-prone players, a change of scenery has done wonders for Daniher, who’s played 68 games in his three seasons at Brisbane. A contact shoulder issue in mid-2022 – which sidelined him for six weeks – has been his sole setback since landing at the Lions.

Subsequently, Daniher is thriving with the on-field continuity and off-field lifestyle.

He’s kicked 143 goals across the past three seasons, including 58 during a 2023 campaign that saw him named in the All-Australian squad and poll a career-high 12 Brownlow votes on Monday.

Daniher is also seen as an integral driver of Brisbane’s culture among the playing group.

“I’m really enjoying my footy. It helps the club is in a fantastic state at the moment and got a great playing list. I’m comfortable and happy playing my role in that and enjoying football the way it should be,” Daniher said.

“Now I get more enjoyment when I’m studying the game on the laptops and computers we have here (at the club) and looking at the game that way, as opposed to traditional broadcast – whereas when I was younger it was more watching the broadcast and enjoying the game as opposed to studying it. There’s been a little bit of a shift there, but I’m always looking for different ways to enjoy my job and enjoy my role in AFL.

“I think it’s really important to keep busy in your life outside of football. It’s a consuming industry and your focus is solely on the weekend’s result and then preparation for the next weekend. So to find things – and that changes over time for me – that give you energy to get back into your job and do it the best you can has been an important factor for me.”

Lynch, who conducted the interview with Daniher last week, says the move north was clearly the best thing for the star goalkicker.

“There’s time to be all-in for footy, but he’s also able to get away from it as well,” Lynch told foxfooty.com.au.

“Living in northern New South Wales and then having to travel up to training, it’s a big drive – but he gets away and has a break, so he’s not all consumed.

“Whereas you can imagine a guy with a surname of Daniher being at Essendon in Melbourne, you’re 24 hours a day and it’s all footy. You can’t go to the cafe and not talk footy. At six-foot-six, you can’t walk down the street and people not know him.

“So I think he’s found that balance and I think we see a more consistent level of play from Joe. Even now when he’s not marking the ball or kicking the goals, he’s competing. I think clearly the gap between his best and worse has narrowed over the course of the last two years really.”

A feature of Brisbane home games in recent years has been the playing of songs over The Gabba loudspeakers after players have kicked goals.

John Denver’s ‘Take Me Home, Country Roads’ after Charlie Cameron goals has seemingly become iconic. But ‘Let It Go’ from Disney’s Frozen – Daniher’s chosen song – has also been on repeat.

Asked why he chose that song, Daniher said: “It’s for the younger crowd. We don’t get too many afternoon games and things like that, but for the young fans that come along, the kids – I thought it was important for them to song along to.”

Daniher says he doesn’t talk footy too much whenever he catches up with his family. He says he’s “acutely aware of what my dad and uncles did” in the game, but stresses “it’s not a huge topic of conversation”.

“I’m incredibly lucky to have such great family support. There’s a football history to that, but it doesn’t play a huge role in that,” he said.

But Daniher now has a chance to join uncles Terry and Chris as a premiership player, should his Lions overcome the Magpies on Saturday.

Triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown says Daniher, along with Eric Hipwood, were now making consistently stronger contributions to the Lions, which will put them in good stead for Saturday’s decider.

“He’s been fantastic this year,” Brown told foxfooty.com.au.

“I couldn’t be happier for Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood and the rest of that Lions forward line. (Assistant coach) Murray Davis has done an outstanding job of coaching them. They’ve played the right style of football for what the team needed and to help them negotiate their way through September as they’ve shown.

“This is where the big key forwards bring their value to the table. That’s why people throwing criticism at Charlie Curnow and, rightly so, they’re lauding Daniher and Hipwood for their performances in September because they’ve played with great presence.

“The beauty is you don’t have to kick bags of goals. They know they’ve just got to play with presence on Saturday and it’ll go a long way towards the team winning.”

The Joe Show Delivers in '23

Joe Daniher is one of the more polarising figures in footy, but with a season like the one just gone, you can't help but to love him.

At 29 years of age, many saw 2023 as a make or break year for the tall forward, with the usual naysayers questioning his impact when it matters most.

61 goals, leading goal kicker honours for Brisbane, fifth place in the Coleman Medal and an All-Australian squad of 40 place later, it's safe to say the narrative has shifted around the man with the mo.

It was a career best year for Daniher, ranking higher than he ever has previously for average disposals, kicks, marks, goals and goal accuracy.

Kicking 5+ goals on four different occasions throughout the season, including a season high six against Essendon in Round 9, Daniher was not only reliable, but incredibly consistent.

A private and quiet individual in public but witty and charismatic behind closed doors, 'Joey' led the way in goals, contested marks and most importantly, score involvements for the Lions, showcasing his selflessness that others had previously questioned.

Second to only Harris Andrews for total marks and fifth in contested possessions (the best of any Lions forward), Daniher's ability to work for the footy was first class and played a key part in many of the Lions gruelling wins in 2023.

Daniher was at his most influential during the finals series, kicking 10.3 across three games including a bag of five against Port Adelaide. Joe proved the difference against a rampaging Port, with his straight shooting and aerial dominance proving a handful for the opposition backline.

And while a missed set shot late in the Grand Final may have haunted his sleep for a few nights, he can hold his head up high following a three goal, eight mark and 16 disposal game on the biggest stage in footy.

In particular, Lions fans will remember a rampaging Daniher taking on Isaac Quaynor in a heavy collision before getting the handball out to Zac Bailey who produced one of the best Grand Final goals in recent memory.

And while the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle is sooner to be discovered than what Joe has planned for the off-season, we're excited for what 2024 holds for the man with the moustache.

Nine things we learned: Recruits have Port ready to go one better

3) Big Joe must play as the back-up ruck

Brisbane tried two ruckmen against Collingwood's Mason Cox/Darcy Cameron combination a week earlier, but ditched it against North Melbourne on Friday evening. It meant Oscar McInerney did the bulk of the work, but the flow-on effect saw Joe Daniher return as the back-up ruckman, to pitch in for five minutes a quarter. 'Big Joe' loves getting up the ground and while he's not a brute in the ruck contests by any stretch, his follow-up work at stoppages and work around the ground can challenge the opposition. He kicked 5.4 from 20 disposals against the Kangaroos and again showed he's a pivotal cog to Brisbane's success in that role. – Michael Whiting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back