Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

I get some Kyle Martin vibes with Joe. Let's hope Joe can stick it out in the AFL. Kyle had heaps of talent but the life of an AFL footballer was not for him.

I was always bullish on Joe, from his first training sessions, and posted us such.

Then Was both surprised and disappointed when he couldn’t rack up more than 11 touches in the VFL though… until he arrived a few weeks ago with 6 goals.

Kid is so clean and smart.

this is from Dec 2022…

Post in thread 'Training Reports and Updates'
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/training-reports-and-updates.1337091/post-77526992
Love the commitment to find the fact you jumped on early :)

If I could be bothered searching back….i would!!

I regularly havr the same conversation about Oscar Piastri and the fact I followed him from his first year in F3……

He looks calm and composed and he didn’t look rushed after his first few disposals!!
When he gets it….good things happen (which is how his VFL form has gone since late last year).

Question mark for me is high pressure game and is he ready to displace anyone?!?

He started to show this last year in VFL.
He rarely fumbles and makes wicked decisions. Disposal matches his decisions.

Completely unsurprised he did well on the offensive today given to lack of intensity.

What surprised me was his defensive efforts. Haven’t seen that at VFL. But he was great defensively.
I thought he showed that cleanness from the start last year but barely got near it early on. The big step for him was probably going from a star who got to chase kicks to having to play a tight role.

I thought he showed it from the start last year but barely got near it early on. The big step for him was probably going from a star who got to chase kicks to having to play a tight role.
Didn’t see it early last year TBH.

but his last 3-4 games showed a lot.
Was more that he was clean as.

When you look at his skill set in hindsight, it’s actually easy yo see why he played well!!

6 goals in his second game then disappeared into obscurity at the end of the year
Almost his 1st game in a way as he was on the bench that 1st game and only came on late in the game. 19th man that day was Terry Waters in what was his last game. McOrist 12 games for the yer in 72 the ressies only in 73 after hurting his back. Then back to the burbs. Was a bit of a hippee apparently so would have been a bit out of step with Collingwood of the time

I can remember those 6 goals cause we thought we had a new champ on our hands.

Super impressive. Clean, won his own ball and smart decision maker. If that translates into similar form going forward he will get a spot in our best 22. Just pushed himself to the front of the most likely group to be our next regular.

I get some Kyle Martin vibes with Joe. Let's hope Joe can stick it out in the AFL. Kyle had heaps of talent but the life of an AFL footballer was not for him.

I remember Martin and how lauded he was at VFL level.

What is the similar vibes you get , Joe doesnt have the work ethic ? Want it enough ?

Enjoying seeing those who saw something early in him pop up because i remember the discussion after his first VFL game, and remember the ones who were positive. He scored a goal and 22 possessions in that one and looked clean and the sort of guy could fit into our system if we ran into injury problems. Some of the negative opinions were so far off the mark. Someone suggested he was our worst ever draft pick.

What is the similar vibes you get , Joe doesnt have the work ethic ? Want it enough ?
Bytel more like Martin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, not at all. More the skill level and ability to kick a goal. Kyle was not out of place in the AFL and it appears neither is Joe.

Almost his 1st game in a way as he was on the bench that 1st game and only came on late in the game. 19th man that day was Terry Waters in what was his last game. McOrist 12 games for the yer in 72 the ressies only in 73 after hurting his back. Then back to the burbs. Was a bit of a hippee apparently so would have been a bit out of step with Collingwood of the time

I can remember those 6 goals cause we thought we had a new champ on our hands.

We did then and I'm so glad that times have moved on and we don't put that sort of pressure on kids anymore:rolleyes:

Great debut - very smooth and composed with the ball on either side of the body.
Could be a regular with that pace and clean hands.

Great debut - very smooth and composed with the ball on either side of the body.
Could be a regular with that pace and clean hands.
Ginni was clean with the ball, but Joe has pace and defensive skills to go with it.
Impressive start to his AFL career.
It took a while, but now we can see why Ben Reid got on the phone to Dekka.

Love the commitment to find the fact you jumped on early :)

If I could be bothered searching back….i would!!

I regularly havr the same conversation about Oscar Piastri and the fact I followed him from his first year in F3……

He looks calm and composed and he didn’t look rushed after his first few disposals!!
When he gets it….good things happen (which is how his VFL form has gone since late last year).

Question mark for me is high pressure game and is he ready to displace anyone?!?
This one was better a week later…

Post in thread 'Training Reports and Updates'
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/training-reports-and-updates.1337091/post-77566318

And it is nice to be partially vindicated after going early on him, after seeing exactly what he displayed today, in his first ps.

As a track watcher, other posters - even fellow pies fans - can be quick to jump on you for even suggesting training form can / will relate to game day stuff. But it finally has

Last edited:
Ginni was clean with the ball, but Joe has pace and defensive skills to go with it.
Impressive start to his AFL career.
It took a while, but now we can see why Ben Reid got on the phone to Dekka.
He tackles, which surprised me. And he can take a leap for a mark, which also surprised me.

But what really impressed me was how he could find a team mate & deliver the ball beautifully. By foot & hand.

I used to call him Mr Invisible last year, during games & at training. He was anything but invisible today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back