Joel Selwood: Really that great?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think it's important as well. I believe Selwood's "big game" ability is overrated though. Had a fairly average finals series by his standards last year as well. I'm not saying he's not fantastic and I wouldn't love him in my team, I'm saying that people who say stuff like "if the going is hard I would prefer him to Ablett", "he elevates himself above other top mids because of his performance in the clinches" are wrong.
I would absolutely have Selwood ahead of Ablett when the going gets tough. And moreso looking at Ablett's days at Geelong than at the GC.

I had plenty of arguments with fellow cats fans about the final we got smashed by your team back in 2010. They were all saying how Gazza had all these possessions and kept us in the game. It was bullshit. You would have beaten us anyway, but Gazza made no difference that day and gave no leadership. Just individual ball chasing.

I have seen Selwood well covered, but working his way back into a tight game and throwing himself fearlessly into packs and forcing the ball forward and changing a game just with his leadership. He can get beat and he keeps going. He is a beast.

I notice most Hawks fans realize this about Selwood because of all the great contests we have had over the years.

Why is it such a big deal which champion is rated above the other? Selwood and Pendles are both amazing, tough, hard players and fantastic leaders. Who's ahead? Depends solely on form. Any attempt to definitively prove one is above the other is just a pissing contest.

Get the impression Selwood is the kind of player Ball would've become were it not for all his injuries. Still a great player, Ball, but Selwood is top 5 in the comp.

I see alot of this. Both were AA selections young, and neither were blessed with great pace or excellent kicking skills. Selwood has worked hard, and is now quite quick, and is an exceptional kick of the football, with a strong outside game to compliment his outstanding inside game.

Because of Ball's injuries, he was never able to increase power through his legs to develop his speed and kicking. It would have made him a top 5 player in his prime, and probably delivered St. Kilda a flag IMO. As you said though, still a very good player.

Why is it such a big deal which champion is rated above the other? Selwood and Pendles are both amazing, tough, hard players and fantastic leaders. Who's ahead? Depends solely on form. Any attempt to definitively prove one is above the other is just a pissing contest.

I'll never understand why people get so worked up about how other posters, people in the media etc. rank players. It's meaningless, especially in a team sport.

I guess I'd like him more if he wasn't such a cheat....

I just can't wait for the day players accept that they are going to tackle Selwood high so instead of trying harder to avoid going high, they just go harder so when their forearm hits Selwoods head it knocks him out. If I was a coach I would instruct my players to tackle and swing their arms as hard as possible at his shoulders because he will lift his arm then bang, they can't get suspended because they had no control over it going high!

Have you read the thread at all champ?

Not just Cats fans who think he goes alright in big games. And thought he was pretty good tonight, 20 hard earned touches and was one of the best in the last quarter. Take your hatchet elsewhere, it's pathetic.

Langford went off him in the final quarter but I'm sure everyone knows Selwood's a champion player. Apart from a few average games that most players have, I feel like he's consistent whether it's a regular or a finals match. He doesn't necessarily lift his game to another level come finals but he's great because you know what you're gonna get from him.

Langford went off him in the final quarter but I'm sure everyone knows Selwood's a champion player. Apart from a few average games that most players have, I feel like he's consistent whether it's a regular or a finals match. He doesn't necessarily lift his game to another level come finals but he's great because you know what you're gonna get from him.
This :thumbsu:

I just can't wait for the day players accept that they are going to tackle Selwood high so instead of trying harder to avoid going high, they just go harder so when their forearm hits Selwoods head it knocks him out. If I was a coach I would instruct my players to tackle and swing their arms as hard as possible at his shoulders because he will lift his arm then bang, they can't get suspended because they had no control over it going high!

Agree somewhat, Pendles > Selwood for mine still wouldnt say no to either

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yawn

He doesn't have that Pendles "Wow" factor,but Joel gets the job done when it counts more often than not.
A champion Captain that leads his troops to victory.

Selwood will never rate as highly as he should. A bit like Swan, he plays too ugly to ever be recognised properly.

Recognised by whom? A bunch of Collingwood supporters or hawthorn supporters? Give us a break.

I think you'll find that apart from Geelong and it's supporters, many rate Selwood highly. He came second in the Brownlow last year, so it seems the umpies rate him. He was All Australian last year, so again he is rated by the AFL. He won Geelong's B&F in 2013 (his second) so his team rates him.
The AFLPA awarded him "Best Captain" & "Most Courageous Player" in 2013, so the present players rate him highly. You listen to the past players/commentators in the media, and apart from Brereton (a Hawthorn supporter) & Maguire (a Collingwood supporter), they all gush about him.

I think peoples personal bias against him is what fuels all this crap people post about him. The truth of the matter is if Joel Selwood played in your team, you'd revere him as a great of your club. Because he doesn't play for your team, you only view him with one eye open.

Recognised by whom? A bunch of Collingwood supporters or hawthorn supporters? Give us a break.

I think you'll find that apart from Geelong and it's supporters, many rate Selwood highly. He came second in the Brownlow last year, so it seems the umpies rate him. He was All Australian last year, so again he is rated by the AFL. He won Geelong's B&F in 2013 (his second) so his team rates him.
The AFLPA awarded him "Best Captain" & "Most Courageous Player" in 2013, so the present players rate him highly. You listen to the past players/commentators in the media, and apart from Brereton (a Hawthorn supporter) & Maguire (a Collingwood supporter), they all gush about him.

I think peoples personal bias against him is what fuels all this crap people post about him. The truth of the matter is if Joel Selwood played in your team, you'd revere him as a great of your club. Because he doesn't play for your team, you only view him with one eye open.

That is exactly the point I was making, you goose!!! The general population dont like him and hence try and downplay his achievements.

That is exactly the point I was making, you goose!!! The general population dont like him and hence try and downplay his achievements.
By general public, you mean the Collingwood & Hawthorn supporter's on BF. That's a very small sample size to make such a sweeping generalisation, you goose.

Selwood will never rate as highly as he should. A bit like Swan, he plays too ugly to ever be recognised properly.
True, but why do so many of us heap praise on the midfielders who amass a significant percentage of their possessions via the "one-two" method, i.e., cheap possessions?

Swan's been recognized, he has a Brownlow. But he's not as good to watch as Selwood.
And I prefer Selwood's manic bulldozing of packs to Ablett's evasiveness. Ablett is a freak, but Selwood is a pure combative footballer, and a leader. I don't think the other two are natural leaders.

By general public, you mean the Collingwood & Hawthorn supporter's on BF. That's a very small sample size to make such a sweeping generalisation, you goose.

You must be confusing me with somebody who doesnt rate Joel Selwood. He's an absolute gun. But lots of people dont like the way he goes about it. Those people underrate him. It doesnt really matter who they barrack for, there are plenty of them. Not quite sure why youre jumping on my case though. Must be because I'm one of those mean nasty Collingwood supporters who always hate everything and everybody.

The problem with Selwood is having to listen to Geelong fans talk about him. We get it, you wish he was your boyfriend, you want to give him a gobby, etc, etc. Of the obvious best 3 (Ablett, Pendles, Selwood) the Cats fans are the most obnoxious.

(I am aware of the irony of a Richmond supporter posting this considering some of the dribble that gets written about Cotchin - but not by me. Deledio 4 lyfe. :p)

Exactly! Ablett is a great player. Selwood is a great player. Pendlebury is a great player. Mitchell, Watson, Dangerfield, Fyfe.....etc

There is no way to objectively determine who is better, so engaging in a dick measuring contest is futile, and will vary depending on a wide range of factors, such as current form, the type of player, the team the play for, whether they have a stupid looking face etc...

Nothing more embarrassing than watching someone try to prove something that is impossible to be proven. It makes you clutch at the most ridiculous of straws and, ultimately, look like a dickhead. IMO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back