Toast Farewell Joel Selwood, champion of the game and legend of the Geelong Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm Fan - selwood is the afl equivalent of Cameron Smith.
Divisive player that seemed to get away with murder. Storm would not have traded him for the world, neither would Geelong with selwood

Yes and no. I think Smith’s ‘crimes’ are greatly exaggerated. I think some of the other Storm players were more inclined to use ‘skills’ that bordered on illegal (the various grapple and wrestle tackling techniques that pushed the boundaries of sportsmanship). Smith was a master at dealing with referees but the blockheaded NSW fans who used to whinge about him refereeing the game himself were too stupid to realise that all Smith did that separated himself from others, was to talk to referees with respect.

Paul Gallen would get penalised and storm over to the ref waving his sakes gesticulating saying ‘for f***s sake these c***s have been laying all over us and we haven’t had a single f***en penalty, open both your eyes and call it both f***en ways!!!’

Immediately that rules out his side getting any 50-50 calls.

Smith meanwhile will say ‘ok sir I will have a word with them and get them to stop laying in the play the ball. I know we did it in that tackle - can you please just make sure to keep an eye on Greg bird in the ruck, he’s been slowing us down as the third man in all night.’

Immediately the referee feels respected, heard, and he will be conscious of Greg Bird.

Smith’s genius was in his football IQ and I’m certain that to the day I die he will be the smartest rugby league player I ever see. Had no small amount of courage or skill either

It shouldn't even be on the main board

What the **** are you on about?

Selwood is easily a top 4 or so player of this Century IMO (along with Ablett Jnr, Buddy, Judd etc) and if not me, someone else would have started a thread celebrating an all time great of this game.

You Richmond fans and Dimma have really taken this Geelong flag hard)

What the **** are you on about?

Selwood is easily a top 4 or so player of this Century IMO (along with Ablett Jnr, Buddy, Judd etc) and if not me, someone else would have started a thread celebrating an all time great of this game.

You Richmond fans and Dimma have really taken this Geelong flag hard)
good player but top 4 of this century is a stretch

Yes and no. I think Smith’s ‘crimes’ are greatly exaggerated. I think some of the other Storm players were more inclined to use ‘skills’ that bordered on illegal (the various grapple and wrestle tackling techniques that pushed the boundaries of sportsmanship). Smith was a master at dealing with referees but the blockheaded NSW fans who used to whinge about him refereeing the game himself were too stupid to realise that all Smith did that separated himself from others, was to talk to referees with respect.

Paul Gallen would get penalised and storm over to the ref waving his sakes gesticulating saying ‘for f***s sake these c***s have been laying all over us and we haven’t had a single f***en penalty, open both your eyes and call it both f***en ways!!!’

Immediately that rules out his side getting any 50-50 calls.

Smith meanwhile will say ‘ok sir I will have a word with them and get them to stop laying in the play the ball. I know we did it in that tackle - can you please just make sure to keep an eye on Greg bird in the ruck, he’s been slowing us down as the third man in all night.’

Immediately the referee feels respected, heard, and he will be conscious of Greg Bird.

Smith’s genius was in his football IQ and I’m certain that to the day I die he will be the smartest rugby league player I ever see. Had no small amount of courage or skill either
The only bad thing I can say about the legend Cam Smith is he supports Hawthorn! Absolute legend of Australian sports but so is Joel Selwood.

It shouldn't even be on the main board
Mate a couple years ago I made the retirement thread on the main board for Brent Stanton for his longevity and loyalty to Essendon after what he endured at that club.

If Cotchin or Riewoldt don’t get their own thread (assuming next year), trust me I am making it on behalf of all of you Richmond fans.

Takes a particularly deluded Tigers nuff to think a) Selwood isn’t deserving of this kind of recognition (despite being a thorn in the side of everyone else forever), and b) that Richmond wouldn’t have been thrashed by this Cats outfit

LT considered Joel his greatest protege. This is probably the biggest compliment a player could receive. Well played Joel. We will miss you!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I’m not trying to pick a fight but Cotchin turned our club around from a laughing stock to a dynasty and Dusty around from being a trouble maker to the best player in the league at the time.

As great as Selwood is he’s never done that. His captaincy was straight off a dynasty and his first 3 flags he was in that dynasty. You can argue Selwood is a better captain or whatever (I don’t) but I think it’s a bit silly to say it’s daylight between them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There's a couple of other threads on the main board that haven't been made about Richmond yet. What are you slackers doing? Off to work!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back