Toast All hail the Chief - 2024 AFL Legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Dating myself here, but I saw him playing for Coorparoo vs Sandgate at Lemke Rd in '84. I was only young, but could still appreciate talent. I think he kicked 5 that day without breaking much of a sweat.

I sometimes wish he advocated for Queensland footy a bit more. I'd be surprised if it registered with the average punter he's a Queenslander. Or maybe that's part of the reason why he's a little underrated?

In any case, well deserved.

How many more would he have kicked if backmen were limited in contact like today. No octopus silvagni etc etc.
Probably would've kicked closer to 800-900 in this era.

It's a complete fallacy that great goalkickers of the past would somehow kick more goals today than back then.

Team defence and modern tactics are king. Dunstall himself has said as much on numerous occasions.

Probably would've kicked closer to 800-900 in this era.

It's a complete fallacy that great goalkickers of the past would somehow kick more goals today than back then.

Team defence and modern tactics are king. Dunstall himself has said as much on numerous occasions.

Agreed but that wasn’t exactly what I was saying. He was one of the first defensive key forwards too, but the running required today could have been an issue too

He played before my time, but he's one of the only media personalities and football experts who over a long period of time I can consistently listen to and find him intelligent and insightful and opinion worth respecting.

He also has a funny side as you can see on Bounce and doesn't take things too seriously which I also like.

He was a better player than Lockett and I’ll die on that hill.

Should have won the Brownlow in 1992 too.

If he didn't do his knee he would have made it to 1300 easily.

Plugger kicked more goals but the Chief provided more than that.

If he didn't do his knee he would have made it to 1300 easily.

Plugger kicked more goals but the Chief provided more than that.
When he did his knee he was 57 ahead of Plugger. If he doesn't do his knee he probably breaks Coventry's record. Plugger then most likely gets him by 30-40 in the end though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems his image is burned in Andy Mahers brain cos he's doing his best to downplay Cheifs greatness.
How many more would he have kicked if backmen were limited in contact like today. No octopus silvagni etc etc.
If Dunstall played for Carlton, Andy Maher would be hailing him the greatest forward who ever lived.

He played before my time, but he's one of the only media personalities and football experts who over a long period of time I can consistently listen to and find him intelligent and insightful and opinion worth respecting.

He also has a funny side as you can see on Bounce and doesn't take things too seriously which I also like.
Totally agree with the first para but bounce is one of the worst shows ever broadcast in this country, you couldn't pay me to watch it

Totally agree with the first para but bounce is one of the worst shows ever broadcast in this country, you couldn't pay me to watch it
You don't have to like the show, it's very cringy at times but it shows a lighter side of Dunstall which you don't see elsewhere in his media roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast All hail the Chief - 2024 AFL Legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back