Certified Legendary Thread RIP - Ron Barassi, the passing of a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very nice man, met him a couple of times and he was respectful and positive.

im told he was an energetic player, very tough and effective, and a fine captain. Maybe not as skilled as the top liners (Ted Whitten called Ron “Mrs Football” because Ted was better) but one of the most important players in the League for years and integral to a dominant dynasty. Big game player too, if you stopped Barrassi you had a shot at stopping Melbourne.

Hes in the running for best coach ever, taking Carlton and North to multiple flags (albeit with dodgy recruiting rule changes in both instances). “Long bombs to Snake” and the 1970 Grand Final are his most memorable coaching moments, both against Collingwood.

Very nice man, met him a couple of times and he was respectful and positive.

im told he was an energetic player, very tough and effective, and a fine captain. Maybe not as skilled as the top liners (Ted Whitten called Ron “Mrs Football” because Ted was better) but one of the most important players in the League for years and integral to a dominant dynasty. Big game player too, if you stopped Barrassi you had a shot at stopping Melbourne.

Hes in the running for best coach ever, taking Carlton and North to multiple flags (albeit with dodgy recruiting rule changes in both instances). “Long bombs to Snake” and the 1970 Grand Final are his most memorable coaching moments, both against Collingwood.
I'd say winning North's 1st flag with Hollywood style was #1.

When I picked Carlton as the team to follow in the late 60s, Ron Barassi was the coach.
I was at the 1975 VFL Grand Final when North won their first flag, under Ron Barassi as coach again.
I'd been living in Sydney for a decade or more when the Swans were rock bottom and Ron Barassi stepped in as coach - when he really had nothing left to prove.
So for me he kept popping up in my football adventures.
Just the most wonderful advertisement for our game and an equally wonderful promoter of it as well.
He literally WAS Australian Football. How could you not love him?
RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back