News AFL kick Barry Cable out of the Hall of Fame and revoke his legend status

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
According to Robbo ..

100 % the correct and right call imo, but it certainly does open a can of worms for the future

Based on this, I don't expect Wayne Carey or Gary Ablett Snr to ever be elevated to Legend Status in the hall of fame.

Seems apparently that off field character abs conduct is now part of the eligibility criteria in the Aussie Rules Hall of Fame going forwards (which is no bad thing)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the worst idea if it stops a few dropkicks just innately posting s**t buzzwords like woke when they have no idea what they're actually talking about.
But after one correction and the resolution by the guy explaining what happened - do we need 100 more? maybe we can pin his explanation to the top of the thread.

But after one correction and the resolution by the guy explaining what happened - do we need 100 more? maybe we can pin his explanation to the top of the thread.
Maybe he could research before posting

I'm torn

On one hand I like the idea of sportsman being rewarded and celebrated for their on field performances.

On the other, I believe off field issues should result in being kicked out of the league. I hold this position as sporting fields are built by governments and thus should come with the caveat of "public standards". Beating up women, assaults, rape and other material convictions should trigger "public interest tests" over employment.

If I hold this position, re employment, it is only reasonable to apply this to awards and recognition. Carey, Ablett, Cable etc are probably examples that may warrant review.

Where is gets colourful is a standard such as racism in the 1950s is applied to 2020s or 2060s. Thus criminal thresholds might be most appropriate rather than simple assessments.

Fair enough. Character is one of the criteria and if information comes to light after admission then I've got no issue taking it into account afterwards.

Wouldnt expect Ablett Snr to get legend status for the same reason. He's lucky to be in the HOF at all.

I'm torn

On one hand I like the idea of sportsman being rewarded and celebrated for their on field performances.

On the other, I believe off field issues should result in being kicked out of the league. I hold this position as sporting fields are built by governments and thus should come with the caveat of "public standards". Beating up women, assaults, rape and other material convictions should trigger "public interest tests" over employment.

If I hold this position, re employment, it is only reasonable to apply this to awards and recognition. Carey, Ablett, Cable etc are probably examples that may warrant review.

Where is gets colourful is a standard such as racism in the 1950s is applied to 2020s or 2060s. Thus criminal thresholds might be most appropriate rather than simple assessments.

I think the criminal threshold is a pretty reasonable one to use because it limits action to extreme cases and takes into account the temporal context in which things occurred. What he did was a crime at the time and a heinous one at that. It’s clear cut, case closed.

But judging people by today’s standards on their racist and homophobic behaviour from 30, 40, 50 years ago for example is a bit pointless IMO. Almost every single player from that era would’ve engaged in it and most of them would be ashamed of themselves looking back. Why bother? On a long enough timeline everyone would get kicked out for some reason or another.

I think disgusting and good to hear he will be justifiably punished, I do think that the two need to be separated though it is a Football Hall of Fame and he is worthy of that as he was an outstanding footballer, we are not the law just the AFL and it doesn't need to take those matters in to action. I would say he stays in the Hall of Fame.

I think disgusting and good to hear he will be justifiably punished, I do think that the two need to be separated though it is a Football Hall of Fame and he is worthy of that as he was an outstanding footballer, we are not the law just the AFL and it doesn't need to take those matters in to action. I would say he stays in the Hall of Fame.
Nope

Fair enough. Character is one of the criteria and if information comes to light after admission then I've got no issue taking it into account afterwards.

Wouldnt expect Ablett Snr to get legend status for the same reason. He's lucky to be in the HOF at all.

would be interesting if they elevate Ablett Snr this week at the same time as stripping Cable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back