Roast The Hack-Kick out of defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Conception

Debutant
Jun 10, 2023
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why do players do this all the time? And never seem to learn.

Every time a player tries to clear the ball out of defence quickly without looking, it gets marked by the opposition 90% of the time. In tonight's game, it cost a team the win.

Like, even if you're panicking, you should at least have the sense to kick it along the ground, yet players always seem to love kicking it away in the air. Doesn't make sense to me.

• Banned
What else can they do handball into 20 players or just hold it and get pinged for htb ?
Holding it doesn't get you pinged for holding the ball, champ. Only when you have "prior", which is extremely unlikely in a wet, congested forward line.

Literally doing anything else except for what Nic Martin did would've resulted in an Essendon win. That panicked hack-kick out of defence is literally what Port Adelaide were counting on, and he delivered.

Every time a player tries to clear the ball out of defence quickly without looking, it gets marked by the opposition 90% of the time. In tonight's game, it cost a team the win.

Like, even if you're panicking, you should at least have the sense to kick it along the ground, yet players always seem to love kicking it away in the air. Doesn't make sense to me.
Yes. I've been saying this exact thing for years to anyone who will listen. They're better off kicking it 30 metres straight up into the air rather than 30 metres laterally. Even kicking it out on the full is a better alternative - at least it is a tougher shot at goal.

Why isn't this being coached out of the players. Surely they can also see what we're seeing. You're right, it happens a ridiculous number of times.

Holding it doesn't get you pinged for holding the ball, champ. Only when you have "prior", which is extremely unlikely in a wet, congested forward line.

Literally doing anything else except for what Nic Martin did would've resulted in an Essendon win. That panicked hack-kick out of defence is literally what Port Adelaide were counting on, and he delivered.

You can't hold the ball 30 metres out from the opposition's goal for minutes on end "champ" eventually they will score. Kicking it out creates the possibility of a 50/50 stoppage further away from goal. Just because it didn't work today it's pure aftertiming to say it was the wrong option

• Banned
You can't hold the ball 30 metres out from the opposition's goal for minutes on end "champ" eventually they will score. Kicking it out creates the possibility of a 50/50 stoppage further away from goal. Just because it didn't work today it's pure aftertiming to say it was the wrong option
Minutes on end? There were 40 seconds left. You clearly don't know much about football.

Kicking it out without looking gets intercept marked 90% of the time. Try watching more football.

Thanks, champ.

• Banned
Hack kick goes one extra metre and we’re not having this conversation.
Mate, do you not watch football or something? Do you know how often these types of aimless kicks out of defence get intercepted?

Honestly the bigger issue at play here is that teams still haven't figured out what schoolkids have known for generations.

You can't lift a bloke and you can't climb a goalpost but you sure as s**t can turn yourself into a ladder. You don't need 5 blokes jumping at the same time to hi-five each other and the ball, you need one to sit on top of the pack and get anything on it. There is no rule against taking a hanger (or 'trying to') so get someone to bend forward and let your birds fly.

Yes. I've been saying this exact thing for years to anyone who will listen. They're better off kicking it 30 metres straight up into the air rather than 30 metres laterally. Even kicking it out on the full is a better alternative - at least it is a tougher shot at goal.

Why isn't this being coached out of the players. Surely they can also see what we're seeing. You're right, it happens a ridiculous number of times.

Yep, same as the rugby codes, kick for touch as a tactic to give your team time to set up to defend or like and NFL punt, kick for hang time to also give your side time to chase and / or set up. A, 'chaser' or two to make sure the recipient can't just run off and play on and maybe the second so they just can't play on with a quick handball or short chip kick.

There's a lot of scope for doing it and refining it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much of the game is how quickly you get setup compared to the opposition. Better teams can afford to do more hack kicks as they will have players ahead of the ball in the right spots to contest it.

The high kick 25 mtrs ala rugby is exactly what a great option could be, gives your players time to get to the contest, especially in the wet where it will almost certainly become a ground ball 50-50.

Spot on. The state of the game is that most players have a very low footy IQ. Any hack kicks out of 50 should be along the ground. Under every circumstance.

100% about kicking it out on the full. Having to kick a drop punt on that angle, a banana or go around the corner on the left from 40 or even 50 out - it's a tough ask in the wet. Definitely seems counterintuitive, but it would have been the right play considering the circumstances, IMO.

Interesting thread. The last two mins of the Collingwood Melbourne game in round 21 last year was the first time I saw a team intentionally refusing to score as it would hand back possession to the opposition who could go end to end. Collingwood created stoppage after stoppage. Although it was at the other end of the ground tonight, Essendon could have done the same and played for stoppages near the boundary.
Collingwood’s blueprint worked damn well and I’m surprised I haven’t seen it replicated by any team since. Watch the final 2 mins of that game if you don’t know what I mean

Mate, do you not watch football or something? Do you know how often these types of aimless kicks out of defence get intercepted?
You've told us. Per (I assume official Champion Data statistics) 90% of all indiscriminate kicks out of defence are marked by the opposition.

It's pretty simple and basically the same reason people are suggesting putting it out on the fall or knowingly conceding a deliberate out of bounds. If there's no clear option kicking out of defence in that situation, kick it as high and as long as possible and as far away from the corridor as you can. You give your teammates a chance to at least make a contest and even if it's a direct turnover, your defenders are better placed to get themselves set, compared to your 'sensible option' of just kicking it along the ground.

Honestly the bigger issue at play here is that teams still haven't figured out what schoolkids have known for generations.

You can't lift a bloke and you can't climb a goalpost but you sure as s**t can turn yourself into a ladder. You don't need 5 blokes jumping at the same time to hi-five each other and the ball, you need one to sit on top of the pack and get anything on it. There is no rule against taking a hanger (or 'trying to') so get someone to bend forward and let your birds fly.
Alastair Lynch and John Ironmonger tried that once.

Under intensely high pressure situations, people aren't always cool and calm, and sometimes make non-optimal decisions.

In other breaking news, the sun rose in the east this morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back