News AFL kick Barry Cable out of the Hall of Fame and revoke his legend status

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen more than one or two North fans disagree with the AFL and club's decision (I don't include nuffs like Mouncey2Franklin).

Also haven't read this thread from start to finish.
You miss my point, if cable had played for Essendon, norths fans reaction would be seismic.

Everything that’s been said about Cable has also been said about Whitten for a long time but outside of forums/Twitter nobody seems to want to run with it, it would be one of those if something did come out most of the responses would be “how did it take so long” and “worst kept secret” - obviously being deceased for decades changes the dynamic.

I'm torn

On one hand I like the idea of sportsman being rewarded and celebrated for their on field performances.

On the other, I believe off field issues should result in being kicked out of the league. I hold this position as sporting fields are built by governments and thus should come with the caveat of "public standards". Beating up women, assaults, rape and other material convictions should trigger "public interest tests" over employment.

If I hold this position, re employment, it is only reasonable to apply this to awards and recognition. Carey, Ablett, Cable etc are probably examples that may warrant review.

Where is gets colourful is a standard such as racism in the 1950s is applied to 2020s or 2060s. Thus criminal thresholds might be most appropriate rather than simple assessments.
I think if what was done would have caused the player to have been removed from the league had it happened/been discovered while they were playing then they should equally be removed from the HoF for it

I’d say that’s a decent threshold

"Honey, Mr Cable would make a fine babysitter! He hasn't been convicted beyond reasonable doubt, he only probably raped that underage girl."
mouncey2franklin what exactly is it about this post that you dislike? Do you understand what the civil standard balance of probabilities is? I didn't just pick the word 'probably' at random.

mouncey2franklin what exactly is it about this post that you dislike? Do you understand what the civil standard balance of probabilities is? I didn't just pick the word 'probably' at random.

You are comparing hiring a babysitter, to removing a career accolade in a professional hall of fame.

My guess is you are a teen or in your early 20s. I hope so, anyway.

You are comparing hiring a babysitter, to removing a career accolade in a professional hall of fame.

My guess is you are a teen or in your early 20s. I hope so, anyway.
No, thankfully. If I was Barry Cable might have tried to molest me. Allegedly.

Enjoy dying on the hill of defending a paedo anyway. What a fun way to spend your life.

No, thankfully. If I was Barry Cable might have tried to molest me. Allegedly.

Enjoy dying on the hill of defending a paedo anyway. What a fun way to spend your life.

I still believe in innocent until proven guilty.

Even for a scumbag like you, I would defend your right to be treated as innocent until proven guilty.

Folks like me are a dying breed, though.

I still believe in innocent until proven guilty.

Even for a scumbag like you, I would defend your right to be treated as innocent until proven guilty.

Folks like me are a dying breed, though.

He was found guilty in a balance of probabilities you paedophile apologist.

Like I said before, which you selective edited because you're disingenuous, is that a civil trial is not enough to put him behind bars, but is damn sure enough to tear him down from a ******* pedestal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can call anybody you want a pedo. It is a different thing to prove a crime in a court of law.
And it's been determined on the balance of probabilities by a court of law that your paedo hero is a paedo.

But given that you believe in innocent until proven guilty and all, would you have Bazza around to babysit your teenage daughter? If so, why? If not, why not?

I think if what was done would have caused the player to have been removed from the league had it happened/been discovered while they were playing then they should equally be removed from the HoF for it

I’d say that’s a decent threshold

Probably the most sensible thing said on this topic.

So what is Whitten accused of?
Just at a guess, i think alleged to have been rather nasty with his wife, as in beating her. But for the half of my lifetime that i was alive concurrently with Ted Whitten, i never really heard anything more than stories of him exploding at a player who used blades painted like Adidas boots (Ted was involved with Adidas in his later years). The nastier stuff about him came posthumously.

In all honestly i always liked Ted Whitten if for no other reason than for his long association with both 3GL and K-Rock as a commentator for Geelong games. He worked in that role even into the 1995 season before his first bout with prostate cancer, but after his stroke he was blinded and had not long to go. The football world was in mourning at his passing, the lap of honour with his son at the state game, and his funeral a month later were huge events that season.

John Nicholls should be removed and from the TOC as well

‘While playing for Carlton, Nicholls served a three-month jail term at Pentridge Prison in 1960, having been found guilty of embezzling £5,558 (equivalent to A$82,349 in 2018) from the Collins Street Branch of the ES&A Bank and larceny as a servant.’

Nicholls also had many further charges in the 80s and was found guilty of 7

I look forward to North supporters spending months arguing why Cable isn’t such a bad bloke based on <insert technicalities>.
Why do you look forward to that?

You miss my point, if cable had played for Essendon, norths fans reaction would be seismic.
Good lord, can Bombers fans stop trying to drum up this dead rivalry in every thread? Inappropriate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back