Certified Legendary Thread RIP - Ron Barassi, the passing of a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember fondy as a kid wandering up to the radio boxes at Waverley and getting the autograph of some of the old legends like Skilton and Barassi (only wish I were smart enough to have not lost them over the years).

Ronald Dale Barassi is a name that transcends the sport. Not just the Melbourne, Carltons, North Melbourne and Sydney clubs. What a contribution to the game. If we are to name the premiership cup after him, then why would we not do it whilst he was alive? We should acknowledge and celebrate their achievements and contributions to the sport whilst they are still around to appreciate it. Cos one day they won't be

HEALY OFF, ELLINGWORTH ON.

“Daryl..you are a f#%#%}%###and I’ll tell you why. You’ve got the bloody football game beaten. You come down here not concentrating. The ball goes down toward the Carlton small man ..you stayed back with ya man ..you could’ve got to the Carlton small man but ohhhh no I’m gunna protect myself ..”

“You could’ve run and intercepted that goal ..that first goal or second one ..or what ever it was …And you probably don’t even know what I’m talking about do ya..yeah that’s bloody right!”

I remember fondy as a kid wandering up to the radio boxes at Waverley and getting the autograph of some of the old legends like Skilton and Barassi (only wish I were smart enough to have not lost them over the years).

Ronald Dale Barassi is a name that transcends the sport. Not just the Melbourne, Carltons, North Melbourne and Sydney clubs. What a contribution to the game. If we are to name the premiership cup after him, then why would we not do it whilst he was alive? We should acknowledge and celebrate their achievements and contributions to the sport whilst they are still around to appreciate it. Cos one day they won't be
The AFL recognised living champions in Matthews, Ayres, and (I think) Alan Jeans.

I agree there should have been recognition while Barassi was alive, but there wasn't, and this oversight shouldn't influence any decision IMO.

The AFL recognised living champions in Matthews, Ayres, and (I think) Alan Jeans.

I agree there should have been recognition while Barassi was alive, but there wasn't, and this oversight shouldn't influence any decision IMO.

I’ve always thought McHale got a bit of raw deal by ‘only’ getting the Premiership coach medal named after him. For some reason the league has always been reluctant to name the cup after anyone but bestowed the best on ground and winning coach awards to the two giants of the game ..Norm Smith and McHale.

Jock was coach of Collingwood in 16 grand finals and involved in 9 pies flag victories as a player/coach in a career at Victoria Park that spanned an incredible 46 seasons.

I would’ve liked to see the best on ground medal named after Barassi seeing he had such impressive MFC record of superb form and leadership in the big games. (6 flags)

Tbf, Barassi was the first "Legend" inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

The day Barassi got up and left the 3aw comments box at the G after the sound bite confession Rex had got out of him of him saying “I’ve had one marajuana cigarette maybe two” months earlier kept getting played during every call.

It stemmed from Rex noticing a weed growing in an unreachable part of the old MCC grand stand and it looked like “weed” and asking if Ron had ever smoked weed , probably not expecting that Ron would answer that he had , that then supplied the commentary team with endless banter for the coming months as the weed in the grand stand continued to grow.

Until Ron cracked it and the sound bite has never been heard again

This is one of my favourite footy photographs because it was rare to get a well lit shot in the mostly dark and dingy change rooms at a club ground with one featuring a coaching legend.

Here’s Barassi at 29 years old addressing his new Carlton troops before a practice match against stKilda in 1965.

His move from player at Dees to Carlton as a playing coach that year took a lot of guts and self belief.

You can see all the CFC hierarchy, footy journos and everyone else has piled into the rooms to listen and not miss a word.
Barassi kind of enjoyed that immense pressure to perform and deliver results. Always wanting a new challenge and this wonderful shot encapsulates the level of attention and respect he got when he was talking about the game of football.

141F4901-FB87-45A5-A758-C06754BC703D.jpeg

Last edited:
This is one of my favourite footy photographs because it was rare to get a well lit shot in the mostly dark and dingy change rooms at a club ground with one featuring a coaching legend.

Here’s Barassi at 29 years old addressing his new Carlton troops before a practice match against stKilda in 1965.

His move from player at Dees to Carlton as a playing coach that year took a lot of guts and self belief.

You can see all the CFC hierarchy, footy journos and everyone else has piled into the rooms to listen and not miss a word.
Barassi kind of enjoyed that immense pressure to perform and deliver results. Always wanting a new challenge and this wonderful shot encapsulates the level of attention and respect he got when he was talking about the game of football.

View attachment 1806075
Great photo. I'm always amazed by people who have that level of influence at such a young age. When I was 29 I was too scared to ask where the stationery cupboard is located.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None better than this old footage of him storming out on to the ground with crutches to give North another all mighty spray.

Loved it in this video when the crowd roared the moment Barassi stomped one of his crutches on the ground when he got to the players huddle.

Absolute legend of the game. RIP.

Barassi signed his first North Melbourne contract during grand final week in 1972 on a serviette in a restaurant and the rest is history.

I see the AFL are considering naming the Premiership Cup after Barassi, when i first heard of his passing i was totally in favour of this, but i've changed my mind and i think they should call the Northern Stand after Barassi instead. The Brownlow and Coleman medals are for individual achievement, but the Premiership is a team effort, Barassi didn't have allegiance to all teams. My view is to name a grandstand after him.

I see the AFL are considering naming the Premiership Cup after Barassi, when i first heard of his passing i was totally in favour of this, but i've changed my mind and i think they should call the Northern Stand after Barassi instead. The Brownlow and Coleman medals are for individual achievement, but the Premiership is a team effort, Barassi didn't have allegiance to all teams. My view is to name a grandstand after him.
Hmm. I didn't think of it that way. Something permanent is fitting, and other than the Premiership Cup naming a stand at the home of football the Ron Barassi Stand is probably as as big as it gets

Norm Smith didn't have an allegiance with every team either but the norm Smith medal sits pretty well on grand final day.

May have already been said but I would look to rename Brunton Avenue to Ron Barassi Way. Don't think that there are any houses on it so it wouldn't be too hard. Would be nice touch to walk down a closed off Ron Barassi way after seeing your team win a flag.

While I think Barassi would be entirely worthy of having a stand named after him, I don't think there is an 'available' option. I believe that the 'Northern Stand' is in fact the combined Ponsford, Members Reserve and Olympic Stands, and I can't imagine the MCC allowing any of those to be re-named.
Re-naming the Southern Stand in honour of Shane Warne was far easier, as it was simply a matter of replacing a geographical name with the name of an iconic cricketer who was always on the 'home team' whether playing domestic or international cricket at the venue.
Also, your point about Barassi not being associated with all teams which win the Premiership could equally be applied to the ground and its stands - he had no direct association with Richmond, Collingwood or Hawthorn, all of which play the majority of their home games at the MCG.
Don't get me wrong - I would be totally happy for a stand to be named after him. I just don't think it can happen without the MCC making (for them) a huge concession. I would be just as happy to see the Cup named after him, and feel that is easier to do given that it would not be replacing an existing iconic name.

All the beat up now after he has died to name the premiership cup after him makes me wonder, why now? Why not when he was alive so he could present it? Same with Shane Warne and having the stand named after him, why do it when they die? Are they not worthy until they die? Do it when they're alive so they can enjoy it and be proud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back