Which club is Ron Barassi most associated with?

Which club is Ron Barassi most associated with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine it would have been similar to Gary Ablett Jr defecting to Gold Coast in 2010.
No one seriously expected him to leave Geelong given he's royalty down at the Cattery and bleeds blue and white.
Very different.

Barassi went to Carlton to coach.

Ablett was never a leader and he was going to Gold Coast purely for the money. He's an evangelical Christian following the prosperity gospel, their priorities are just to get as much money as possible, not to help others or leave a legacy.

Barassi wanted a career in football as a leader and had the blessing of his coach/mentor.

By Barassi’s admission during the 1975 Final Story doco, he said that the best time he ever had in football was in 1975 at North.

Certainly his social group was dominated by his North friends up until his death (and some of theirs).

This thread is about where you personally put him so North supporters will always say North, Melbourne will say Melbourne. For neutral fans these days, they probably have a lot more footage of him having success as North coach to refer to than any of his playing or coaching elsewhere.
He was born into a Melbourne Family, the rules were changed to allow him to live his dream of playing for Melbourne, he had his most success at Melbourne. Once he retired from working in Football he was Melbourne to the core. Attended matches in the club colours, promoted the club, mentored the players, his funeral was planned around his links to Melbourne.

But I guess saying in a North PR doco that he liked his time at North trumps that.

He was born into a Melbourne Family, the rules were changed to allow him to live his dream of playing for Melbourne, he had his most success at Melbourne. Once he retired from working in Football he was Melbourne to the core. Attended matches in the club colours, promoted the club, mentored the players, his funeral was planned around his links to Melbourne.

But I guess saying in a North PR doco that he liked his time at North trumps that.

Except his allegiance was to Melbourne once he left North
He would have enjoyed delivering the first premiership to North Melbourne and he was surrounded by really good people there. The club needed that premiership and the impact would have been immeasurable

Personal enjoyment doesn't dictate allegiance though.

The Final Story is an AFL series that has covered 9 Grand Finals so far, not a PR doco.

As I said, this thread is for the club that people associate him with, we're not asking Ron, however we do have his words. He acknowledged it was a big call but said that 1975 was his favourite time in football.

No doubt he spent a significant part of his life with Melbourne and given he played in 6 Premierships there he would have had a strong connection for life. Not enough to stop him from leaving for Carlton however.

He was also most social with his North friends for the rest of his life in Aylett, Cheatley, Mantello, Joseph and Kekovich. As well as the Vingt Cinq and Carbine Clubs. This is not a surprise though, as even though he lived with Norm Smith and played for Melbourne, he wasn’t considered one of the Melbourne blue bloods like his teammates of that era.

Except his allegiance was to Melbourne once he left North
He would have enjoyed delivering the first premiership to North Melbourne and he was surrounded by really good people there. The club needed that premiership and the impact would have been immeasurable

Personal enjoyment doesn't dictate allegiance though.
So are you disagreeing or agreeing with me?

Seems you started heading in one direction then made a quick U-turn half way though...….

The Final Story is an AFL series that has covered 9 Grand Finals so far, not a PR doco.

As I said, this thread is for the club that people associate him with, we're not asking Ron, however we do have his words. He acknowledged it was a big call but said that 1975 was his favourite time in football.

No doubt he spent a significant part of his life with Melbourne and given he played in 6 Premierships there he would have had a strong connection for life. Not enough to stop him from leaving for Carlton however.

He was also most social with his North friends for the rest of his life in Aylett, Cheatley, Mantello, Joseph and Kekovich. As well as the Vingt Cinq and Carbine Clubs. This is not a surprise though, as even though he lived with Norm Smith and played for Melbourne, he wasn’t considered one of the Melbourne blue bloods like his teammates of that era.
Haha, ok.

Correction - Coach talks up winning a premiership as special when asked if he thought it was special in an "AFL" PR doco. Must be love.

Pretty sure I told some Radom chick 21 years ago she was special when put on the spot with the question, but unlike you I doubt she is still believing that 20 years after I met my wife.

So are you disagreeing or agreeing with me?

Seems you started heading in one direction then made a quick U-turn half way though...….
It doesn't matter, really. This is an online forum :)
I personally don't think that enjoying his time as coach at North the most means his allegiance is truly tied to there
Ultimately, his heart was always at Melbourne

There's a line from a documentary from a Carlton person, maybe a board member or president, who says when Barassi "defected" from Melbourne he had parents calling him up telling that there were heartbroken boys with #31 Melbourne jumpers and what was he going to do about that. He responded with "we will give them a Carlton jumper with #31 on it instead"
Yes ..a well worn famous quote by the ruthless Barassi.

The only compassion is seeing Carey in a Crows jumper.

It was so surreal and an out of this world experience..footy wise. It just didn’t feel right. That’s what happened when RDR ran out in a Carlton jumper.

Superstars didn’t switch in those days…certain players are forever part of clubs dna

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very popular figure in our history but Melbourne through and through.

His time with the Dees and Blues was well before my time, but his role as coach of North was at a critical time in my footy fan formation. That mid-70's period was when I gained my VFL football indoctrination, and Barassi as the master coach at the Kangaroos - with Schimma, Greig, Crosswell, Baker, Briedis, Cowton, Dench, Cable, Dempsey etc tearing it up - left a deep imprint on me.

It's all in the timing - Barassi will always be synonymous with North Melbourne for me.

Just like there'd probably be those who'd regard Alan Jeans as a Hawthorn icon over the Saints, or Tom Hafey as Collingwood or Sydney over Richmond, for the same reason.

Back