Which club is Ron Barassi most associated with?

Which club is Ron Barassi most associated with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Similar to the Mick Malthouse thread.
Which club do you most associate Ron Barassi with?
Personally when I think of Ron Barassi, I think of the team of the red and the blue.
All four clubs Barassi was associated with are very fond of him and rightly so.

Melbourne. No debate.

He played, captained and coached there. His father (a Melbourne player) was killed at Tobruk, and he lived at Norm Smith's house.
He played in six flags there.

The reason why I think Ron Barassi is the most significant post-war VFL/AFL figure is because he had a massive effect on every single club he went to.

Yes, he was important at Carlton where he delivered their first premiership for 21 years and returned the club to significance.
Yes, he was important at North Melbourne where he, Aylett, Mantello etc. risked plenty to deliver North Melbourne their first flag, and subsequent second flag, and five Grand Finals in a row.

Yes, he was important at Melbourne as a coach. He recruited many of the youngsters that made the finals in the 80s and 90s, and I suspect he would have also changed the values of the place into a more professional unit.

At Sydney, the place was in shambles when Alan Schwab died. No money, supporters, or players. The club didn't win for nearly a year. Buckenara sacked, Brett Scott filled in, then Barassi came in. After 1 win in 1993 (ironically against Melbourne), increased to 4 in 1994, then around 8 in 1995.

But Melbourne is always where his heart lay. At the 1988 Preliminary Final, he went wearing a Melbourne horned beanie.

His heart always beat true.

1st - Melbourne for reasons mentioned by uranium death above.

Equal second - Carlton & North Melbourne; could not separate them.
Memorable moments at both clubs: ‘68 GF (first flag as coach) , ‘70 (comeback/Teddy on..), 75 (NM first flag) and ‘77 (last Qtr Barassi moves in drawn game and win replay)

Laid a good foundation at Sydney for future success.

He's a North man, to Ron's own words.

Funny 🤣

Had many chats with him at the Mountain View Hotel about this topic, he loved the game as was proud to have contributed to several clubs. Melbourne however was the club that he had closest connection with, as was demonstrated in his later years.

Funny 🤣

Had many chats with him at the Mountain View Hotel about this topic, he loved the game as was proud to have contributed to several clubs. Melbourne however was the club that he had closest connection with, as was demonstrated in his later years.
Probably just trying to make you feel good

He'll always be a Melbourne person, but he is a very important figure for Carlton and North Melbourne, perhaps more so at North because we hadn't achieved anything before he arrived.

May not be as important in the history of the Swans as someone like Paul Roos but I'm sure he is still loved in the Harbour City.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Says the guy trying to make himself feel good 🤣

Poor old shinboners, irrelevant to everyone except themselves
Hey I was just making up lies, there is no need for you to be mean

Norm Smith was basically his step father and brought him up..lived with the smith family etc

When he defected to CFC it was the biggest story in the history of the game at the time.

He’s MFC royalty
I imagine it would have been similar to Gary Ablett Jr defecting to Gold Coast in 2010.
No one seriously expected him to leave Geelong given he's royalty down at the Cattery and bleeds blue and white.

There's a line from a documentary from a Carlton person, maybe a board member or president, who says when Barassi "defected" from Melbourne he had parents calling him up telling that there were heartbroken boys with #31 Melbourne jumpers and what was he going to do about that. He responded with "we will give them a Carlton jumper with #31 on it instead"

There's a line from a documentary from a Carlton person, maybe a board member or president, who says when Barassi "defected" from Melbourne he had parents calling him up telling that there were heartbroken boys with #31 Melbourne jumpers and what was he going to do about that. He responded with "we will give them a Carlton jumper with #31 on it instead"
It's from the 1996 doco, "100 Years of Australian Football." The man was George Harris

I imagine it would have been similar to Gary Ablett Jr defecting to Gold Coast in 2010.
No one seriously expected him to leave Geelong given he's royalty down at the Cattery and bleeds blue and white.
I expected him to leave. Who would turn down a one-in-a-lifetime offer like that?
Even Geelong were not shocked to see him go in the end, because they knew the offer was ridiculously good

By Barassi’s admission during the 1975 Final Story doco, he said that the best time he ever had in football was in 1975 at North.

Certainly his social group was dominated by his North friends up until his death (and some of theirs).

This thread is about where you personally put him so North supporters will always say North, Melbourne will say Melbourne. For neutral fans these days, they probably have a lot more footage of him having success as North coach to refer to than any of his playing or coaching elsewhere.

Back