Which club is Mick Malthouse most associated with?

Which club is Mick Malthouse most associated with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast - he set the standard for them, and they were almost unbeatable at home in the 90's. He was great at Collingwood but West Coast was his club.

Has to be WC had the most success, obviously Collingwood a close 2nd.

Easily West Coast for mine. Might be fan/gen bias but that body of work built a national reputation for both the club and the man. I remember being gutted as a kid that he was leaving. Behind Peter Matera he was my fave Eagle then. Hard to imagine Eagles club culture without Mick setting the standard.

He might have a different opinion himself which is cool and understandable (ala Juddy), but one wonders where club & man end up if those sliding doors go differently in 1989.

Last edited:
I voted for West Coast. That side he led had plenty of talent but he really made them into that killer squad that probably should have won more than two premierships and probably would have if it wasn’t for the travel factor. He was what the comp needed to accelerate it as a national league.

Regards

S. Pete

Hard to split between West Coast and Collingwood.

West Coast (10 seasons as coach) = 2 Premierships, 3 Grand Finals.
Collingwood (12 seasons as coach) = 1 Premiership, 4 Grand Finals (if you don't count the Replay as another GF).

Not sure if the majority of Collingwood supporters are fond of Mick the way the OP suggests. I've never disliked him, but a lot did turn on him when he joined Carlton. Maybe as the years have passed, most have been forgiving.
I suggest Collingwood supporters would be fond of Malthouse for not only the silverware he delivered to their club, but for how his tenure at Carlton panned out.
From beating Collingwood's hated rival Richmond in a final in 2013 after finishing 9th on the ladder, to leaving Carlton in a state of disarray at the end of 2015.

It’s a tough one.

He was a massive figure at WCE but wasn’t truly given ‘master coach’ status until he went to Collingwood.

The height of Eddie-Everywhere Collingwood with Malthouse and Buckley among the top 10 highest profile people in the game is hard to go past. Not to mention the messy divorce.

His time at West Coast is fading in the collective memory now - he’s rarely associated with the club since he left (which has been a shame) which means a bit of recency bias would lean him towards Collingwood.

I suggest Collingwood supporters would be fond of Malthouse for not only the silverware he delivered to their club, but for how his tenure at Carlton panned out.
From beating Collingwood's hated rival Richmond in a final in 2013 after finishing 9th on the ladder, to leaving Carlton in a state of disarray at the end of 2015.
Frankly I can't wrap my head around why Mick is unpopular with Collingwood supporters. For what he achieved with us I love the bloke. For what he didn't achieve with our arch rivals, I love him more. To continuing on as a prominent media figure with strong, level-headed opinions in the years since, Mick remains one of my favourite football heads.

Collingwood and the way they introduced him to the coaching role was something special with the Volvo with Eddie next to him always thought was the new times re born and helped Collingwood make grand finals and to cap it off a flag in 2010.

Was revolutionry at the time and set the pace for alot of clubs.

So Pies for me then west coast.

Pies/West Coast. We introduced him in 1999 after a lean year with Shawry at the helm luring him back to Victoria after 9 successful years at West Coast. Got us into 5 grand finals including the 2010 premiership as well as having a Brownlow Medallist by the end of his tenure

During the Malthouse years at the Eagles, the club made the finals in the 90s as well as 3 grand finals winning 2. He should've won at least one more during his tenure at the blue and gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond, because I don't think he's left any of the clubs on great terms as a coach - except perhaps West Coast, where he elected to leave to return to Victoria

As a player, you're one of the boys. As a coach, the relationship with a club and players is different, and he was never one to get too close to his players, from what I see. I'd say John Worsfold would be the captain under him that he respects most

But I think Richmond deep down is the club closest to his heart. Mick also has a cold exterior, and ultimately I think his favourite club is Mick Malthouse.

Last edited:
Took 8 years for Carlton to recover from the disaster that was Mick which included 2 wooden spoons and 3 senior coaches

He and Jimmy Jess were my favourites in the late 70’s, early 80’s but I think of him now as a bitter, senile old man who talks rubbish.
So 1000% Richmond;)

The case for saying it's West Coast is very strong, winning their first flags, and changing the culture. "Strict Strp Father of the Eagles" is accurate. Chang3e tge Pies too, not as much though.

He has a Richmondesque quality of fierce loyalty at some but also the ability to hold a grudge. I think he is still great mates with many ex players, Pies Eagles etc.

When the Caroline Wilson led anti Dusty crusade got rolling (was it 2014?) and she wanted him sacked because...just because OK? (maybe he reminded her of Swannie?) Malthouse was asked about. He wasn't too vocal, just said "he's a bull" but thd way his eyes were shining you could see he loved the kid and wanted him and the Tigers to do well.

I think he's a loyal guy, but the yellow and black soaked in a bit more than the other identities.

Nah it's definitley West Coast. Turned a (relative) state side into a high performing/highly hated outfit. They were fun to watch.

His time at Collingwood was just Eddie givin him as much time as he needed to win a premiership and Carlton was just a junket.

West Coast all the way. The 91 season stands out for me, and then the rebound to win it in 92 /94.

Always felt like he was a bigger deal at the Eagles, that and every Eagles home game being televised live into Victoria in the 90s.

You can't really split West Coast and Collingwood, both were at the very least 10 seasons with at least 1 premiership and multiple grand finals and a lot of media coverage and focus on him for both those long periods.

Frankly I can't wrap my head around why Mick is unpopular with Collingwood supporters. For what he achieved with us I love the bloke. For what he didn't achieve with our arch rivals, I love him more. To continuing on as a prominent media figure with strong, level-headed opinions in the years since, Mick remains one of my favourite football heads.
He could have won another premiership, too, had they not fired him, after making a third consecutive grand final...

Massive fan of what he and Agent Thomas did at Carlton.

Seriously tho, equal parts WC/Collingwood with the 'Scray in third place. Too young to remember him as a Tiger, and recency bias is probably what pushes the Pies era alongside WC.

He could have won another premiership, too, had they not fired him, after making a third consecutive grand final...
We'll never know, but personally I don't think Mick takes us above Sydney and especially Hawthorn in 2012. Our list had an outstanding run but it was due to come to an end. Several players who declined after 2010-11 that went to other clubs weren't able to revive their careers under other coaches. Buckley was ordinary but I don't think he wasted the list.

Back