Which club is Mick Malthouse most associated with?

Which club is Mick Malthouse most associated with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Similar to the Damien Hardwick thread.
Which club do you most associate Mick Malthouse with?
Has to be West Coast or Collingwood in my opinion due to the silverware he won at both clubs.
I know he won silverware at Richmond but Tigers fans have largely disowned him similar to how they've disowned Kevin Sheedy.
Eagles and Pies fans on the other hand are still quite fond of Malthouse.

Hard to split between West Coast and Collingwood.

West Coast (10 seasons as coach) = 2 Premierships, 3 Grand Finals.
Collingwood (12 seasons as coach) = 1 Premiership, 4 Grand Finals (if you don't count the Replay as another GF).

Not sure if the majority of Collingwood supporters are fond of Mick the way the OP suggests. I've never disliked him, but a lot did turn on him when he joined Carlton. Maybe as the years have passed, most have been forgiving.

Similar to the Damien Hardwick thread.
Which club do you most associate Mick Malthouse with?
Has to be West Coast or Collingwood in my opinion due to the silverware he won at both clubs.
I know he won silverware at Richmond but Tigers fans have largely disowned him similar to how they've disowned Kevin Sheedy.
Eagles and Pies fans on the other hand are still quite fond of Malthouse.
Interesting question! Perception wise, it's probably Collingwood, but equally as coach of WCE, a side that beat the Cats in 2 GF's.

It is easy to forget Malthouse as coach of WB given the success he had at WCE and Pies. As a player, I only associated hi with Richmond

Him complaining about having to play 1991 grand final at a ‘suburban ground’ when he’d been coach at the kennel and early Subiaco was priceless

I was too young to recall his St Kilda days, he's a Tiger to me. The moustache proves it, he epitomizes "good" Richmond, tough and loyal, Hafey/Jack Reiwoldt/Benny Gale, not "bad" Richmond, selfish and/or brutal, Balme/Graeme Richmond/Bartlett/Richo.

I respected him at WC, and I loved the return to Hafey values when he was at the Pies. Like Lethal we honour him but he's not ours.

Definitely not Carlton, any more than Pagan is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood. Easy to say as a damaged Carlton supporter but his time with us really does seem like a bad dream or an alternate universe. Which is funny because I do remember the 2013 elimination final very fondly, but I guess feel he had not much to do with it.

Obviously you think of malthouse as a coach, he had three very significant spells at three clubs plus Carlton. Each of those clubs could lay claim to this question. However I visualised him being in club colours, and only one team stood out, so Richmond it is.

Probably too young for his pre-Collingwood days. Out of Collingwood and Carlton, let’s just say that I regularly forget he was at Carlton.

So, Collingwood for me.

Clearly west coast. This shouldnt even be a debateable topic.
Pfft... :rolleyes:

Seasons coached...WCE 10...Coll 12
Premierships.........WCE 2....Coll 1
Grand Finals......... WCE 3....Coll 4
Top Four...............WCE 5.....Coll 5
Final four..............WCE 5..._Coll 6
Finals series..........WCE 10..Coll 8
Finals victories...... WCE 12...Coll 13
Total victories....... WCE 144_Coll 150

Leaving aside the stats, Mick's stint at West Coast is mostly remembered for the super-team he took to the 1992 and 1994 flags. His Eagles were breaking new ground: the first non-Victorian team to contest a Grand Final... the first non-Vic team to win a flag... They had great rivalries, first with Hawthorn, and then Geelong, North and Essendon.

However, the Eagles underachieved in Mick's 5 years after the 1994 flag, treading water in 5th-6th-7th spot. Just 2 finals victories in those 5 years (both in week 1). Kinda forgettable, really. So the Eagles contested finals in all of Mick's 10 seasons there, but the last 5 seasons were somewhat hollow. 1996 was probably the only season in that time when they were a legitimate threat to win the flag.

At Collingwood, by contrast, he is remembered for 2 separate eras. The first of these was the tenacious, blue-collar team who surprised everyone by reaching the 2002 and 2003 Grand Finals vs Brisbane, featuring the likes of Buckley, Licuria, Burns, Rocca, Tarrant, Presti, Wakelin, Clement, Fraser, O'Bree, Scotland, Lockyer, B.Johnson, Molloy, and Jason Cloke.

The Pies made those 2002-03 finals series interesting by producing big upsets vs ladder leaders Port and then taking it right up to the mighty Lions, nearly causing a boiler in the 2002 GF and then knocking them off in the 2003 Qualifying Final.

Mick was then able build another great premiership team to rival the one he had at West Coast. A couple of Preliminary Finals losses in 2007 and 2009, but the Pies dominated the comp from 2010-2011
with the likes of: Pendlebury, Swan, Daisy, Travis Cloke, Luke Ball, Didak, Beams, Heath Shaw, Sidebottom, Jolly, Maxwell, Reid, Leon Davis, Harry O, Wellingham and Toovey.

In my opinion, Mick had equally memorable coaching stints at West Coast and Collingwood. It seems kind of pointless to elevate one over the other. But if you held a gun to my head, I would say Mick's Pies were always far more entertaining to watch than Mick's Eagles. Not as clinical. Nowhere near as defensive. I'm old school: Hating the Pies is in my blood... and yet I have to admit, I always loved watching them play back in those days. They were pretty damn exciting.

Last edited:
Pfft... :rolleyes:

Seasons coached...WCE 10...Coll 12
Premierships.........WCE 2....Coll 1
Grand Finals......... WCE 3....Coll 4
Top Four...............WCE 5.....Coll 5
Finals series..........WCE 10..Coll 8
Finals victories...... WCE 12...Coll 13
Total victories....... WCE 144_Coll 150

Leaving aside the stats, Mick's stint at West Coast is mostly remembered for the super-team he took to the 1992 and 1994 flags. His Eagles were breaking new ground: the first non-Victorian team to contest a Grand Final... the first non-Vic team to win a flag... They had great rivalries, first with Hawthorn, and then Geelong, North and Essendon.

However, the Eagles underachieved in Mick's 5 years after the 1994 flag, treading water in 5th-6th-7th spot. Just 2 finals victories in those 5 years (both in week 1). Kinda forgettable, really. So the Eagles contested finals in all of Mick's 10 seasons there, but the last 5 seasons were somewhat hollow. 1996 was probably the only season in that time when they were a legitimate threat to win the flag.

At Collingwood, by contrast, he is remembered for 2 separate eras. The first of these was the tenacious, blue-collar team who surprised everyone by reaching the 2002 and 2003 Grand Finals vs Brisbane, featuring the likes of Buckley, Licuria, Burns, Rocca, Tarrant, Presti, Wakelin, Clement, Fraser, O'Bree, Scotland, Lockyer, B.Johnson, Molloy, and Jason Cloke.

The Pies made those 2002-03 finals series interesting by producing big upsets vs ladder leaders Port and then taking it right up to the mighty Lions, nearly causing a boiler in the 2002 GF and then knocking them off in the 2003 Qualifying Final.

Mick was then able build another great premiership team to rival the one he had at West Coast. A couple of Preliminary Finals losses in 2007 and 2009, but the Pies dominated the comp from 2010-2011
with the likes of: Pendlebury, Swan, Daisy, Travis Cloke, Luke Ball, Didak, Beams, Heath Shaw, Sidebottom, Jolly, Maxwell, Reid, Leon Davis, Harry O, Wellingham and Toovey.

In my opinion, Mick had equally memorable coaching stints at West Coast and Collingwood. It seems kind of pointless to elevate one over the other. But if you held a gun to my head, I would say Mick's Pies were always far more entertaining to watch than Mick's Eagles. Not as clinical. Nowhere near as defensive. I'm old school: Hating the Pies is in my blood... and yet I have to admit, I always loved watching them play back in those days. They were pretty damn exciting.
Mick malthouse is the father of west coast and everything they stand for. He changed the way football was played.

he was an evil genius at west coast.

Malthouse was an old fuddy duddy at collingwood. snuck home with a flag. Just.

Mick malthouse is the father of west coast and everything they stand for. He changed the way football was played.

he was an evil genius at west coast.

Malthouse was an old fuddy duddy at collingwood. snuck home with a flag. Just.

Yep. Shut down football before the swans even thought of it

Back