Certified Legendary Thread RIP - Ron Barassi, the passing of a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

A massive figure in the game.

I’m too young to remember his playing days, and even the majority of his coaching time but I remember him landing at Sydney in 1994 - they were the biggest joke in league (a league that contained Fitzroy and the Brissie Bears) - and he legitimised them as a club in Sydney - it gave him a link to the modern/national game that guys of a similar vintage like Whitten, Bobby Davis, Hafey etc never had and set him apart from the cast of ‘Old Vics’ for me.

Very saddened by this news, a great Australian Rules Football man and player, he also coached footballers, not sure what he thought of today's players. Never saw him play, but he was the toughest of coaches. Instead of all of the meaningless acknowledgments we are subjected to pre-game every week, why are we not acknowledging more of our past greats of the game, that would mean a lot more to the 90,000 or so people who turn up for a final! Maybe the Premiership Trophy could be called the Barassi Cup in the future?
Sad day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an absolute legend.

Someone who finger prints and DNA, will forever remain an influential part of the fabric of the history of our great game.

In many ways ahead of his time, in demanding a level of professional excellence, like it had never been seen before, a move that has shaped the future of the game and has had a significant influence, on what the game and the league has now become.

Those of us footy tragic's, are all indebted, too RDB for his contribution to our wonderful game.

Quite a legacy that he has left us all and a football intellect and personality to be revered, respected and admired.

Someone who wasn't happy with just being good, when you can strived for greatness.

Thanks for the memories and thank you Mr Barassi for your impactful contribution to a rich VFL / AFL history.

A life lived well and to the full, RIP Good Sir.

A massive figure in the game.

I’m too young to remember his playing days, and even the majority of his coaching time but I remember him landing at Sydney in 1994 - they were the biggest joke in league (a league that contained Fitzroy and the Brissie Bears) - and he legitimised them as a club in Sydney - it gave him a link to the modern/national game that guys of a similar vintage like Whitten, Bobby Davis, Hafey etc never had and set him apart from the cast of ‘Old Vics’ for me.

I only remember him coaching Sydney in the 90s too back when they were a basket case and even though he didn't get great results for them as a coach he played a big part in turning that club around and was a factor in attracting Lockett and Roos to put them on the map.

I can't think of anyone else that has been such a huge figure in 4 clubs in Melbourne, Carlton, North and Sydney and was so respected by every other club and their supporters.

Ron was in rare air as a player, coach and statesman of the game.

RIP Ron.

My earliest football memories were him leading North to their first 2 flags. Some of his sprays were legendary and are still played today, but outside football he was a gentleman. Then found out he was a legendary Melb player who then set the path for Carlton's success. All after losing his father in WW2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back