Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
It should be from this year imo.
He was most probably the most influentual person in football in the history of the game .He was a man of character and an honest man who had a desire to win for his club and was part of 10 premierships as a player and coach.
He obviously berated players but it was a different era and his legacy is lauded by all the big names in football.

Last edited:

If the cup doesn't get named after Barrasi then it will never be named after anyone.

Maybe a corporation may decide one day to get the naming rights in the future if we leave it blank.

If the cup doesn't get named after Barrasi then it will never be named after anyone.

Maybe a corporation may decide one day to get the naming rights in the future if we leave it blank.
No way to a corporate . Having said that it may already be sponsored by a corporate. I think they call it the 'insert sponsor' premiership cup.
Maybe that's why McLoughlin is dragging his feet.

Last edited:
Absolutely not, find another medal or award to name after him. Not everything needs to be named after somebody, and calling it the premiership cup is perfect as it is.
I saw somewhere the suggestion of the minor premiership to be named after Barassi, id be ok with that, but never change the name of the premiership cup imo

Absolutely not, find another medal or award to name after him. Not everything needs to be named after somebody, and calling it the premiership cup is perfect as it is.
I saw somewhere the suggestion of the minor premiership to be named after Barassi, id be ok with that, but never change the name of the premiership cup imo
The NRL cup is called the Provan-Summons Trophy.

Barassi only won 1 minor premiership in his entire coaching career so that wouldn't really make much sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barassi only won 1 minor premiership in his entire coaching career so that wouldn't really make much sense
Well im sure there is some other award to name after him, just leave the premiership cup as it is

Name the VFL premiership after him maybe, thats the comp he won. He never won an AFL premiership, would be inappropriate

Norm Smith has the Norm Smith medal.
Leigh Mathews has the MVP medal.
John Coleman has the leading goalkicker award.
Gary Ayers has the best finals player award.
Charles Brownlow has the umps B& F.

I think Barassi ,Carey, Ablett snr and Lockett need some recognition in awards.

The only things I can think of without a name are the draft, the premiership cup and the All-Australian team.

Maybe the winning captain of the premiership team can receive the Barassi medal.

Norm Smith has the Norm Smith medal.
Leigh Mathews has the MVP medal.
John Coleman has the leading goalkicker award.
Gary Ayers has the best finals player award.
Charles Brownlow has the umps B& F.

I think Barassi ,Carey, Ablett snr and Lockett need some recognition in awards.

The only things I can think of without a name are the draft, the premiership cup and the All-Australian team.

Maybe the winning captain of the premiership team can receive the Barassi medal.
Only so many awards to go around, they dont all need to be named after somebody. What happens in 50 years when there is another 10 people they want to give recognition to. There is worse things than giving a Barassi name to a captains medal.

My opinion is hold off until we get some AFL players to that stage, and use their names on some stuff, and keep the premiership cup alone

There's obviously a lot of emotion and outpouring after the death of the great man. There is no rush to a decision required.

Grief and love/lust are the worst times to make decisions. Much better to wait till the emotions have returned to a more stable state.

Geewizz I wish I knew this 30 years ago. Instead I ran ecstaticaly into the witch's den with my mind lost, and have still not found my way out.

Back