Do you want the Premiership cup to stay in your own state if your team dosen't win it?

If the Grand Final is between a Vic and non-Vic team, in general, most of the time you would want:

• I Support a non-Victorian team, want the Victorian team to win

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They don't want Collingwood or Carlton winning..
The fantasy that Vic supporters want Victorians want these teams winning is so far removed from reality
This is exactly right - id work my way down the full list of interstate teams - no matter how whiny their supporters are - before i come to probably the Saints and then work my way in revulsion through the other Vic team. He's right - we dont give a stuff about state rubbish.

I want a Carlton Collingwood Grand Final, and 30 seconds before the end of the game with the scores level, they have to come off the ground because there's lightning in the area, and that lightning stays around for oh 6 months say, so they just go * it there's no winner for season 2023 let's start 2024.

Do people actually care what state wins the flag? All this "Vic Bias" us verse them that's spouted on here is nauseating.

I for one am rooting for GWS, although I'd like a Carlton vs Collingwood GF for the spectacle.

Last edited:
Do people actually care what state wins the flag? All this "Vic Bias" us verse them that's spouted on here is nauseating.

I for one am rooting for GWS, although I'd like a Carlton vs Collingwood GF for the spectacle.
Its pretty much all one way. Non-victorian states never shut up about it. I quite like interstate teams. Forget the MCG - The Adelaide Oval is our favourite ground - can't remember the last game we lost there :)

Nobody does.

A lot of interstate supporters get it mixed up and band together to support their other contemporaries and 'stick it to VicBias’, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

As is the case in this thread, most Vic club supporters don't want to see another Vic club win the premiership.

It goes back to the tribal, suburban rivalries of the old days which are past down through generations. It'll be that way for a long time. Most clubs have hurt one another at some point over the journey.

I'd say if you polled most of Victoria, they'd be on board the Giants or Brisbane. It would be the same if it was Geelong, Hawthorn or Richmond instead of Collingwood & Carlton. We tend to jump on board the interstate clubs with the '16 Dogs being the outlier.

The other thing as well, particularly if you live in Melbourne, you have to deal with the 6 month long w**kfest of how the premiers reinvented footy, how we haven't seen anything like it, stuff like that.

That'll largely be avoided if it's a non-Vic premier.

I'm Victorian, and it depends on the teams playing
I wanted West Coast to beat Collingwood. I wanted Adelaide to beat Richmond.
At the time, I wanted St Kilda to beat Adelaide, but now I am happy with the result.
In 2001 I wanted Brisbane to beat Essendon.
In 1992 and 1994, I wanted Geelong to beat West Coast :D
In 2010, I wanted Collingwood to beat St Kilda.
In 2016 I wanted the Dogs to beat Sydney.

It isn't about the state. It's about the teams playing on the day

Nobody cares about state of origin so why would they care where the cup lands? It’s more about personal preference in regards to which teams you hate less lol. It’s a national comp but the media still try to play up the “interstate raiders” angle.

Go back 30 years ago and I doubt anyone cared that West Coast took the cup out of Vic.

Nobody cares about state of origin so why would they care where the cup lands? It’s more about personal preference in regards to which teams you hate less lol. It’s a national comp but the media still try to play up the “interstate raiders” angle.

Go back 30 years ago and I doubt anyone cared that West Coast took the cup out of Vic.

I cared. I wanted my team to win it.
The mentality in 1992 was pretty different to today. West Coast was still viewed as an invader, rather than it being a national competition.

I cared. I wanted my team to win it.
The mentality in 1992 was pretty different to today. West Coast was still viewed as an invader, rather than it being a national competition.

Even then it was media driven. Any sort of fanfare for Geelong would have been in regards to breaking the flag drought rather than simply being Victorian, put Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon up against the Eagles in 92 and most of the state would be going for the Eagles.

pretty much anyone that doesn’t follow the Pies worships Dom Sheed lol.

If your team can’t make it, most Victorian footy followers wish for a big 4 GF clash with the massive crowds and all the psychotic supporters. It’s just ingrained from childhood somehow.
But these mighty games don’t happen very often and when a WC, port , Freo, Adelaide or Swans side plays in a GF…it just feels slightly off. It’s the vibe.

Brisbane’s golden era with Voss and Mathews was the turning point in terms of respect for a great interstate team. But no one has matched it yet.

Most of the time interstate sides get pulverised in GFs and that’s very boring.
Supporters of these supposed "Big 4" clubs are the only ones who think this big 4 exists, nobody else cares about the pissing contest.

Supporters of these supposed "Big 4" clubs are the only ones who think this big 4 exists, nobody else cares about the pissing contest.
I think you do there buddy.

If it makes you feel any better, I believe MFC are the most important club to the history of the game and was mortified during that period of the proposed hawks/Dees merger.

Don Scott saved your club ☝️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A
I live in Victoria, and this is something I've heard brought up a lot around this time of year when there's likely to be a Victorian and non Victorian team in the Grand Final. A lot of people in the media, mostly people who have been around a long time I've noticed, say they'd want the premiership to be won by another Victorian team instead of going interstate.
This has always been surprising to me, if my team isn't winning the premiership I want whoever does win it as far away as possible with the least chance of running into their victorious supporters. I've supported the non-Victorian team in every single grand final that they've been involved in for this reason.
Always wondered if this was just a view held by Victorians in the media. Obviously there can be exceptions, if a interstate side had won several flags in a row I'd probably be against them winning, like if St. Kilda made the 2004 grand final I would of probably wanted them to stop Brisbane winning 4 flags in a row.
But in general what would you be hoping happens in a Victorian vs. non-Victorian grand final?
Agreed too. Any non Victorian over a non Collingwood Victorian. The only exception is the Dogs as I have a bit of a soft spot for them. Similar fan demographics of working class people.

So only the supporters of the big 4…ie. the majority of football supporters in Victoria by a massive margin care?

I think you do there buddy.

If it makes you feel any better, I believe MFC are the most important club to the history of the game and was mortified during that period of the proposed hawks/Dees merger.

Don Scott saved your club ☝️
I really don't care what you think. I support a club of people who I don't know, who play against other clubs who I don't know. So do tens of thousands of anonymous supporters. My club really isn't any different from any other, they don't stand for anything, they are men in their twenties trying to win a football premiership, and we watch them. That's it. They have no connection to you. The players really don't know or care about who turns up to watch them. From what I know they laugh at the nuffies.

The pissing contest of people thinking that they are part of something or their club is in some way more special than the others never makes sense to me.

But you go ahead and puff your chest out, make comments that you think will make you look like you are "flying the flag" for your team (the most cringeworthy commentator saying in history).

Good luck with thinking you are part of the team, but it's really just sad and pretty pathetic.

Ok, you believe you are special. Go hold up your sign in the cheer squad.
special-ralph.gif

So only the supporters of the big 4…ie. the majority of football supporters in Victoria by a massive margin care?
Is the "big four" pissing contexts still Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon?

If so, the total membership for 2023 was 389,370. The rest of the Vic teams was 401,263. So not "the majority of football supporters in Victoria by a massive margin" - actually the minority. But don't let facts stop your little tantrum.

I really don't care what you think. I support a club of people who I don't know, who play against other clubs who I don't know. So do tens of thousands of anonymous supporters. My club really isn't any different from any other, they don't stand for anything, they are men in their twenties trying to win a football premiership, and we watch them. That's it. They have no connection to you. The players really don't know or care about who turns up to watch them. From what I know they laugh at the nuffies.

The pissing contest of people thinking that they are part of something or their club is in some way more special than the others never makes sense to me.

But you go ahead and puff your chest out, make comments that you think will make you look like you are "flying the flag" for your team (the most cringeworthy commentator saying in history).

Good luck with thinking you are part of the team, but it's really just sad and pretty pathetic.
Looks like someone is having a bad day.

Who rattled your cage this morning?

Couldn't give a * who wins the grand final unless it's Richmond . In a perfect world no other team would win it except us

Back