Do you want the Premiership cup to stay in your own state if your team dosen't win it?

If the Grand Final is between a Vic and non-Vic team, in general, most of the time you would want:

• I Support a non-Victorian team, want the Victorian team to win

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the "big four" pissing contexts still Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon?

If so, the total membership for 2023 was 389,370. The rest of the Vic teams was 401,263. So not "the majority of football supporters in Victoria by a massive margin" - actually the minority. But don't let facts stop your little tantrum.
Lol @ tantrum. No one has complained as much as your club over a fair attempt to smother, someone tagging one of your players, pretty much anything apart from your star player being a junkie and your coach having the worst game day tactics in the league.

If your team can’t make it, most Victorian footy followers wish for a big 4 GF clash with the massive crowds and all the psychotic supporters. It’s just ingrained from childhood somehow.
But these mighty games don’t happen very often and when a WC, port , Freo, Adelaide or Swans side plays in a GF…it just feels slightly off. It’s the vibe.

Brisbane’s golden era with Voss and Mathews was the turning point in terms of respect for a great interstate team. But no one has matched it yet.

Most of the time interstate sides get pulverised in GFs and that’s very boring.
Actually.... Victorians reluctantly had to accept the cup to leave victorian soil when the eagles won their 1st flag in 1992.

If my team doesn’t win it (and they never do) then I’d want to see it go interstate for the best part of the next 15 years. Since 2007 we’ve had two non Victorian premiers win it and it’s really been because the Victorian sides they played against kicked themselves out of it. We’ve seen time and time again absolute non competitive blow outs.

Bring the equality back to the game as it’s a national one not a Victorian one. If you want to support a VFL team, follow one.

It's team by team for me, state is far less important.

If the dogs can't win I'd love to see the Saints get one after their fans have had to endure getting so close so many times. I also wouldn't mind the Suns getting a flag too given what it would mean for Queensland footy.

I have a soft spot for North too but they are a few years away from challenging.

I like to see balance. I mean it doesn’t have to be 50-50 or anything silly like that, but as has been mentioned, only two interstate teams have won since 2007.

Knowing the Saints, the next interstate team who wins a GF is likely to be against them rather than your Hawthorn’s or Richmond’s. Saints and North are the two Vic’s I’d like to see win it the most.

I’d obviously like to see the Lions win one but if they can’t, I hope any of the interstate teams win it, but preferably the Dockers, Suns, Giants, Crows and Port in that order. Wouldn’t mind Sydney and West Coast winning it again but they’ve already had some success so I’d be barracking against them if they were playing any of the other teams I mentioned.

I'd like to see the GF hosted by the higher ranked team at a ground in their home state. Such bullshit that the Australian Football League has committed to hosting the grand final in Melbourne regardless of which teams qualify for decades to come. The only reason that has happened is because the game is largely controlled by Victorian interests who seem to regard interstate sides as a necessary evil to grow audiences and the money flowing into the League's coffers. Victoria and Victorians (not all but enough) still feel like they own the competition, and Melbourne is the spiritual home and so of course the GF should be at the MCG.

The MCG probably does deserve to be called the most important sporting venue of any in Australia but it is still overrated and I would rather see a game at multiple other venues.

There is an issue of no other stadiums holding as many people but given most people are watching on TV anyway I can live with that. Better to see the GF move around for variety and promoting the game. Fairer and better to see the equity of the higher ranked team earning hosting rights.

Turning to the issue of which teams should win I agree that it more depends on the specific teams than their state but I would tend to favour a non-Vic team over a Vic one (but I'd probably back the Saints over the Eagles or Port - kind of an underdog bias). I also don't have a problem with GWS - unlike many other Swans fans - I think they're a team that stand for something and if I weren't already a rusted on Swans supporter and if I lived closer to their home ground, I would be happy to support them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The MCG probably does deserve to be called the most important sporting venue of any in Australia but it is still overrated and I would rather see a game at multiple other venues.

No. It really isn't.
Few sporting venues in the world have the atmosphere, facilities and history of the MCG

I've had friends go to Anfield, and comment on what a run-down pile of crap it was, and the crowd was terrible.
I've had friends go to NFL games, MLB games etc. and all say that nothing compares to the 'G

Nothing beats the footy at the MCG

If an interstate club plays a Vic club in the GF then I'm actively barracking for the interstaters. That's always been the case. I go to the game some years while other years I've been in pubs, where it is most evident - the whole place is roaring for the interstate side. It was most notable during the Hawks three-peat.

Nobody wants to see their rivals win a flag.

No. It really isn't.
Few sporting venues in the world have the atmosphere, facilities and history of the MCG

I've had friends go to Anfield, and comment on what a run-down pile of crap it was, and the crowd was terrible.
I've had friends go to NFL games, MLB games etc. and all say that nothing compares to the 'G

Nothing beats the footy at the MCG

First, let's be clear, this is all opinion, not fact. And yours is different to mine.

Second, I disagree that the MCG has better atmosphere, facilities and history than Adelaide Oval. I haven't been to Optus in Perth but it looks to have superior facilities and I wouldn't be surprised if it often has a better atmosphere too (maybe not so much at the moment with the Eagles languishing). The atmosphere at the G is good when there's a huge crowd (still overrated) but there's not always a huge crowd. Too many Victorians are parochial and just can't consider this reasonably. Possibly you're one of them.

I'm not worried about overseas venues because I haven't been to many (although Wimbledon stood up ok).

If it's not us then I don't care much. Fond of Port, I liked 04. I appreciate gutsy and skilled sides so I enjoyed Richmond and Geelongs recent wins.

Would like to pull ahead of Carlton and Essendon, so prefer them not to win if they made it but that's stats nerdery.

Back