Do you want the Premiership cup to stay in your own state if your team dosen't win it?

If the Grand Final is between a Vic and non-Vic team, in general, most of the time you would want:

• I Support a non-Victorian team, want the Victorian team to win

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
I live in Victoria, and this is something I've heard brought up a lot around this time of year when there's likely to be a Victorian and non Victorian team in the Grand Final. A lot of people in the media, mostly people who have been around a long time I've noticed, say they'd want the premiership to be won by another Victorian team instead of going interstate.
This has always been surprising to me, if my team isn't winning the premiership I want whoever does win it as far away as possible with the least chance of running into their victorious supporters. I've supported the non-Victorian team in every single grand final that they've been involved in for this reason.
Always wondered if this was just a view held by Victorians in the media. Obviously there can be exceptions, if a interstate side had won several flags in a row I'd probably be against them winning, like if St. Kilda made the 2004 grand final I would of probably wanted them to stop Brisbane winning 4 flags in a row.
But in general what would you be hoping happens in a Victorian vs. non-Victorian grand final?

I live in Victoria, and this is something I've heard brought up a lot around this time of year when there's likely to be a Victorian and non Victorian team in the Grand Final. A lot of people in the media, mostly people who have been around a long time I've noticed, say they'd want the premiership to be won by another Victorian team instead of going interstate.
This has always been surprising to me, if my team isn't winning the premiership I want whoever does win it as far away as possible with the least chance of running into their victorious supporters. I've supported the non-Victorian team in every single grand final that they've been involved in for this reason.
Always wondered if this was just a view held by Victorians in the media. Obviously there can be exceptions, if a interstate side had won several flags in a row I'd probably be against them winning, like if St. Kilda made the 2004 grand final I would of probably wanted them to stop Brisbane winning 4 flags in a row.
But in general what would you be hoping happens in a Victorian vs. non-Victorian grand final?
If your team can’t make it, most Victorian footy followers wish for a big 4 GF clash with the massive crowds and all the psychotic supporters. It’s just ingrained from childhood somehow.
But these mighty games don’t happen very often and when a WC, port , Freo, Adelaide or Swans side plays in a GF…it just feels slightly off. It’s the vibe.

Brisbane’s golden era with Voss and Mathews was the turning point in terms of respect for a great interstate team. But no one has matched it yet.

Most of the time interstate sides get pulverised in GFs and that’s very boring.

If your team can’t make it, most Victorian footy followers wish for a big 4 GF clash. It’s just ingrained from childhood.
But it doesn’t happen very often and when a WC, port , Freo, Adelaide, Swans side plays in a GF it feels slightly off. It’s the vibe.

Brisbane’s golden era with Voss and Mathews was the turning point in terms of respect for a great interstate team. But no one has matched it yet.

Most of the time interstate sides get pulverised in GFs and that’s very boring.
I'd argue that's very dependant on the era you've grown up in.

I'm in my twenties, so in terms of the 'Big 4' I've mainly seen incompetence outside of the Pies, and even then it hasn't resulted in premierships.

The Tiges had an awesome era, but I'm old enough to remember some darker days, so that still felt very out of place through 2017. Very similar to the Dogs the year prior.

I suspect a Carlton vs Collingwood GF would be awesome, and Melbourne would be buzzing all week, but I can't say I'm wishing for it to happen, or that it would feel 'normal'. Don't mind if it does occur, but not overly fussed either way.

If anything, it would feel really weird to have 2 traditional powerhouse clubs up at the same time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is for those under 30, all we've ever known is a more even competition.

Everyone seems to get a go in the GF eventually, and there's certainly no ingrained bias that Carlton, Collingwood etc look more 'normal' on the big day than any other club.

For me, it looks most normal when it's the Eagles, Hawks, Cats, Swans & more recently, the Tigers running out with that Grand Final emblem.

For instance (and this isn't a personal dig) for my generation, seeing Essendon on the last Saturday in September would look 'off' in some way, because it goes against everything we've ever known.

It just shows how much things have changed since the suburban days, and in turn how supporters perspectives have shaped depending on age.

I'd argue that's very dependant on the era you've grown up in.

I'm in my twenties, so in terms of the 'Big 4' I've mainly seen incompetence outside of the Pies, and even then it hasn't resulted in premierships.

The Tiges had an awesome era, but I'm old enough to remember some darker days, so that still felt very out of place through 2017. Very similar to the Dogs the year prior.

I suspect a Carlton vs Collingwood GF would be awesome, and Melbourne would be buzzing all week, but I can't say I'm wishing for it to happen, or that it would feel 'normal'. Don't mind if it does occur, but not overly fussed either way.

If anything, it would feel really weird to have 2 traditional powerhouse clubs up at the same time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is for those under 30, all we've ever known is a more even competition.

Everyone seems to get a go in the GF eventually, and there's certainly no ingrained bias that Carlton, Collingwood etc look more 'normal' on the big day than any other club.

For me, it looks most normal when it's the Eagles, Hawks, Cats, Swans & more recently, the Tigers running out with that Grand Final emblem.
Yes ..you make some good points.
The under 30s of today are very comfortable with the national competition setup and have grown up with it.
You have no memoirs or emotional links to the old VFL and the expansion era when others joined the league.

There's definitely been a big shift.

-10 interstate flags to 4 Victorian ones 1992-2006.
-13 Victorian flags to 2 interstate ones 2007-2022.

I don't think either situation is that healthy. The most concerning element has been the amount of no shows on grand final day by interstate teams over the past 15 years. It wasn't a big issue before then.

Doesn't bother me at all. As long as Richmond aren't the losing team.

But ideally I'd want GWS and Gold Coast the win it until we get our next run.

Yes ..you make some good points.
The under 30s of today are very comfortable with the national competition setup and have grown up with it.
You have no memoirs or emotional links to the old VFL and the expansion era when others joined the league.
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's better or worse, but it definitely is different.

You certainly have an interest in the older days, or at least I did. Absolutely loved finding all the Weg premiership posters in antique shops as a kid, and going to the MCG museum and stuff like that...but you don't have a premeditated bias to what a Grand Final should look like.

The closest IMO would be 2013 & 2019, and I reckon that goes for everybody. Hawthorn & Richmond no dramas, but Freo & GWS looked like something out of an alternate dimension.

The Dogs & Melbourne looked pretty weird too, but I guess so much was looking weird at that point in time so we all just ran with it.

Support Eagles, generally prefer the non Vic side to win, but it depends. Like I really wanted the Bulldogs to win in 2016 because they're kind of my second team or Melbourne team, as I've mostly lived in Footscray since moving here from Perth. Also wanted Freo to win in 2013 and part of me wants some of their supporters to taste success, but part of me (mostly due to certain other supporters) sadistically delights in the fact they've won none.

I also tend to hate Vic teams that are dominating atm, like Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond through their dynasties. Whereas loved the Brisbane dynasty. Hated Carlton and Essendon the most in the 90s but feel sorry for their supporters now. Some certainly are floggish no doubt (but thats every team). Started hating Collingwood due to Eddie and some of their supporters at games etc (yes, an annoyingly minority but a sizeable one).

Really couldn't care less which state wins it. Have my own personal tier list of teams I like /hate so will generally be supporting one team over the other though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I support the Lions but don't live in QLD.

But I'm also parochial WA when it comes to footy. I'll back Eagles and Dockers against anyone in a GF. If either of those two played against Brissy it would be a weird feeling for me.

Would be happy if the Lions won but not sad if they lost to Freo or West Coast.

Generally I'll barrack for the non-Vic side if they're playing a Vic side but there are exceptions i.e. Dogs v Swans 16. Ironically, can't stand the Dogs now.

Out of all the Vic sides, I'd like to see the Saints win one, followed by North. Blues would be great cause of my old man, Bombers I'm starting to feel sorry for (their fans) but would quickly despise them if they were dominant like the Hawks, Cats, Tigers were.

Lions > Giants > Blues > Pies is the order of teams I want to see win one this year.

Lions v Suns would be amazing. Feel like it could happen in a few years if Hardwick can get them going. I'd probably have the Suns about my 4th favourite team at the moment, Giants fifth.

I support the Lions but don't live in QLD.

I live in QLD but don't support the Lions. But I support the Queensland teams against anyone but Essendon. Not sure who I'd support in a Lions-Suns GF.

Carn Lions!

I live in QLD but don't support the Lions. But I support the Queensland teams against anyone but Essendon. Not sure who I'd support in a Lions-Suns GF.

Carn Lions!
Well, I shouldn't be saying this as a Brissy supporter, but we did beat you in the 2001 GF. So surely you'd be inclined to support the Suns over us. Besides, they haven't made one, yet alone won one yet. But if you want to barrack for us over them then be my guest haha.

Selected “Other”.

It’s not necessarily about the state. It’s mostly about the team. Couldn’t care less if a team like Bulldogs wins the Premiership over a non-Victorian side for example. In some cases, that’s a pretty good outcome.

In the case of teams like Carlton and Collingwood though, I’m all aboard non-Victorians like GWS and Brisbane winning.

I remember growing up when teams like the Crows and Eagles had only been around for a few years, where there was a bit of a push to get behind the Victorian team and not let the cup travel interstate.

I reckon it shifted in the early-00s when a) Brisbane and Sydney (clubs with deep Victorian ties and 50+ year droughts) won; and b) there were a number of all-interstate grand finals, when we were convinced that would be the apocalypse, but it really wasn't that different to watching a random Victorian club playing a non-Vic club.

Now I reckon it's probably the other way: probably get behind the interstate team, unless the Victorian team is supported by a very close friend/family member and has had a significant premiership drought. Both the aforementioned factors are in play with Carlton incidentally and - while I'll probably regret it - I must admit I've considered the prospect of Carlton rolling the Pies in the grand final, which would be pretty epic.

I pick a different team each year for finals based on their game style and general players attitudes/likeability.

All aboard GWS this year.

Sometimes it is a Vic side (Richmond 2017), sometimes not (Port 2021 although happy with Benny Brown getting one at the Dees, Eagles 2018).

Back