Opinion Wizard Cup

Bring back Wizard Cup equivalent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Should the AFL bring back a knock out preseason competition to replace the Community Series?
Fondly remember the wizard cup in giving hope for the coming season when teams try way harder than they do now given the financial prize on offer.
Is the AFL missing a beat in February every year to attract attention? Whole thing seems like a fizzer at the moment.
There’s practice games coming up and I couldn’t give a s**t.

Personal preference, yes, but the fan demand just isn't there and it got treated with contempt by clubs by the end. So, overall, no. Just can't see clubs or AFLPA being interested.

The league didn't help by having all the BS and trial rules in the comp most years, and playing practice matches closer to normal season rules or ensuring if big clubs lost they wouldn't have to travel. Every incentive was there to get kicked out.

At its peak clubs didn't always take it seriously, but clubs started to pick up a bit if they were at the pointy end and it often gave an indication on which teams would improve a year or two out. It would be interesting if VFL, SANFL, WAFL rep sides were to play in it as well (no AFL listed players). They would probably be highly competitive with the top AFL players rotated or rested in pre-season games.

Last edited:

No for me.

I'd really like to see an FA Cup-style competition like they tried with the Foxtel Cup but there are way too many factors against it:
  • Would have to be on weekends to enable amateur/semi-professional clubs to compete
    • AFL wouldn't want to give up weekend regular season matches
    • Seven wouldn't like to miss out (I'm assuming it's a Foxtel-exclusive)
  • AFL teams would possibly treat it with contempt
  • Extra matches per season would need to be ticked off by AFLPA
  • Extra workload on players
  • Injury Potential
  • The flow-on effect to potentially every competition in Australia
    • State boards don't have to agree but you won't get state leagues outside Victoria unless they do
    • Flow-on effect to local competitions and their fixturing
It's all well and good for the FA to run the FA Cup as it's engrained over decades, it's another thing to start it up now and devote a lot of resources to make it viable.

No I don’t see the point, pre season games should be focussed on shaking the rust off, new tactics and players not getting injured. Adding any sort of reward would compromise that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, i think with the nab cup towards the end of it's run, it became awkward to organise the 18 teams fit them all in and eliminate them all within a good time frame prior to the launch of the season

I loved it as a melbourne fan, it felt like the only time we could maybe win a trophy. That hope was also bad in regards to the standard which some teams treated it compared to others.

I'd rather see like a one off SoO every few years or so than a whole preseason comp, like the bushfire relief game. One or a maximum two games on one weekend

18 teams and soon to be 19 make it hard

16 was perfect for it
They could still hold the 4 week knockout comp with the Top 16 clubs if they wanted. The bottom 2/3 clubs would still play practice matches against each other and the eliminated clubs.

They could even go a step further and have a 32 club knockout comp, by allowing VFL, SANFL and WAFL clubs to enter, FA Cup style. Maybe AFL clubs would only be able to use players Under 25 to even things up a little for these games.

Sadly the interest from broadcasters, corporate sponsors and fans just isn't there at present. Maybe one day.

They could still hold the 4 week knockout comp with the Top 16 clubs if they wanted. The bottom 2/3 clubs would still play practice matches against each other and the eliminated clubs.

They could even go a step further and have a 32 club knockout comp, by allowing VFL, SANFL and WAFL clubs to enter, FA Cup style. Maybe AFL clubs would only be able to use players Under 25 to even things up a little for these games.

Sadly the interest from broadcasters, corporate sponsors and fans just isn't there at present. Maybe one day.
Surely the state league clubs are too far off, but rep teams might be competitive if they could train together for a while (doubtful with semi-pro, at best, players out of season). Which means 21 teams with only the main states rep teams included, so five rounds with a qualifying round including the state rep teams and teams who finished 12th and below in the AFL.

A random draw could see something like :
1708693569590.png

Obviously, this will never happen. If anything it illustrates why it will never happen.
There is no appetite from clubs, players or fans for that much pre-season or for any sort of competition. Its purely a hypothetical and will always remain so. Imagine if West Coast v WAFL threw up a WAFL win.

Yeah bring back the unadulterated joy of night GFs. Players and coaches loved it…View attachment 1912329
lol I remember the Saints when they won it in 1996 celebrating like they had won a real flag! fans pitch invading even climbing up goal posts and all. I think by the time 2004 rolled around they thought let’s not over do it again it’s just a preseason cup after all, probably took it a bit to far with the funeral precession style of celebrating. Still being St. Kilda they should celebrate any trophy they win, It’s never been easy for them, Take what you can even a preseason cup.

Last edited:
Back