Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He was asked to go up there and promote the game, he had a crud list everyone knows that.
That's fine but if the premiership cup is to be re-named(which it shouldn't), then it should be named after someone who's made a massively significant contribution to the AFL as a whole, in its current iteration. Not after a person whose main contribution is to a few select clubs.

At the moment, there's probably nobody that's fitting and honestly, it shouldn't be named after someone who solely played/coached, because then it's always going to be a trophy affiliated with certain clubs by association, instead of being a trophy all can celebrate without being tied to a particular club by convention of a person's name.

Individual awards are different, because they are named after players who were the absolute best in category at the time.

The McLelland trophy would be a good example of this. Whilst Dr McLelland played for Melbourne, the trophy was named after him because he served as the VFL's rpesident for 25 years, thus not being an award associated for any particular club but rather named for his service to the game.

I get that Barassi could be considered a 'servant' of the game but his contributions mostly served certain clubs, regardless of this 'pushing' for a national competition that would've happened anyway.

The premiership cup is a cup for all supporters, simply because it isn't named after someone. It needs to remain that way.

That's fine but if the premiership cup is to be re-named(which it shouldn't), then it should be named after someone who's made a massively significant contribution to the AFL as a whole, in its current iteration. Not after a person whose main contribution is to a few select clubs.

At the moment, there's probably nobody that's fitting and honestly, it shouldn't be named after someone who solely played/coached, because then it's always going to be a trophy affiliated with certain clubs by association, instead of being a trophy all can celebrate without being tied to a particular club by convention of a person's name.

Individual awards are different, because they are named after players who were the absolute best in category at the time.

The McLelland trophy would be a good example of this. Whilst Dr McLelland played for Melbourne, the trophy was named after him because he served as the VFL's rpesident for 25 years, thus not being an award associated for any particular club but rather named for his service to the game.

I get that Barassi could be considered a 'servant' of the game but his contributions mostly served certain clubs, regardless of this 'pushing' for a national competition that would've happened anyway.

The premiership cup is a cup for all supporters, simply because it isn't named after someone. It needs to remain that way.
I don't think you understand how big Barassi was and how much influnce he had.
Do you also want to rename the Brownlow , Coleman and Norm Smith medals?

I don't think you understand how big Barassi was and how much influnce he had.
Do you also want to rename the Brownlow , Coleman and Norm Smith medals?
Did you even bother reading what I wrote about individual awards vs team awards?

Read it again, if you did and failed to understand it.

Did you even bother reading what I wrote about individual awards vs team awards?

Read it again, if you did and failed to understand it.
Barassi deserves a lasting tribute, a grandstand naming is just not enough.
I think they already call it the Toyota AFL premership cup so there's no high standard there.

Individual awards can be named after legends, not sure the trophy a team wins should be named after an individual.
Exactly, although we do have the McLelland but that was named after the president of the VFL, who held the position for 25 years and that happened in 1951.

I don't think in 2023 a team award should be named after an individual.

If they wanted to name the AFL coaches award after Barassi, that'd be a nice tribute. Gun player and coach, so it would be a fitting award to name after him.

Also doesn't have a sponsor attached ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps the Cup should be named the Dr. Allen Aylett Cup, after all he did the most in the early days to set up an AFL competition. :D ;)

Last edited:
Guaranteed Barassi wouldn't want the Premiership Cup named after him....its all about the Club who wins it and the Game itself.
Don't see how naming the cup after him will change anything. It will still be all about the club who wins it and the game itself. Something as steeped in tradition as the cup will always represent the same thing, all you are doing is honouring a man who deserves it. Really don't understand why anyone would be against it.

Sshhh, a couple of posters reckon it's #VICBIAS that people don't think this should happen, even though most people saying no are supporters of Vic clubs...
Barassi's schievrments were;
-10 flags as player and coach
  • Afl Team of the Century
  • Invented the modern game of football with handball game
  • pushed hard for a National competion when it was unpopular
  • stablised Sydney at the request of the AFL when it was a basket case and chose Rodney Eade as coach to set up a long period of success.
  • Am ambassador for the game and cultural influence .
    - first coach to recruit Irish players

You should be thanking him for pushing for the national game.

Last edited:
If that's what happens I think a massive statue outside the MCG is the next best thing.
He already has a statue what are you talking about?

Cup can stay the same. The MCC members stand being named after him makes the most sense.

Barassi's schievrments were;
-10 flags as player and coach
  • Afl Team of the Century
  • Invented the modern game of football with handball game
  • pushed hard for a National competion when it was unpopular
  • stablised Sydney at the request of the AFL when it was a basket case and chose Rodney Eade as coach to set up a long period of success.
  • Am ambassador for the game and cultural influence .

You should be thanking him for pushing for the national game.
And you should look up Ross Oakley.

I think Ron's resume is far more wide reaching.
And Ross Oakley had to perform the actual work of going from the VFL to the AFL, which included bringing in 5 new teams.

Who do you think was more 'responsible' for the formation of the AFL?

A bloke 'pushing' for a national competition, or the bloke who actually set up the framework and implemented the change?

Back