Certified Legendary Thread RIP - Ron Barassi, the passing of a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith didn't have an allegiance with every team either but the norm Smith medal sits pretty well on grand final day.

May have already been said but I would look to rename Brunton Avenue to Ron Barassi Way. Don't think that there are any houses on it so it wouldn't be too hard. Would be nice touch to walk down a closed off Ron Barassi way after seeing your team win a flag.
Like the Brownlow and Coleman Medals, the Norm Smith is an individual award. Barassi Road, Way or Drive as a replacement for Jolimont Road would make sense or even rename the station "Barassi"? The AFL will think of something.

Like the Brownlow and Coleman Medals, the Norm Smith is an individual award. Barassi Road, Way or Drive as a replacement for Jolimont Road would make sense or even rename the station "Barassi"? The AFL will think of something.
A station? Richmond station? Yeah nah.

That’s worse than Perth naming a tunnel after Polly.

I’d go with the afl players association votes medal award thing. That’s better than a Brownlow.

The Barassi Medal.

A station? Richmond station? Yeah nah.

That’s worse than Perth naming a tunnel after Polly.

I’d go with the afl players association votes medal award thing. That’s better than a Brownlow.

The Barassi Medal.
I was thinking of Jolimont station, but a Barassi medal for the Player's Association award would be good. It has to be something permanent though if they do anything at the MCG or the surrounding area. I have a feeling Gil isn't keen on the Cup idea, but is open to many other suggestions...Should the Premiership winning medallions given to each player be named after Ron Barassi?

Last edited:

My first memory of Ron Barassi was his Footy Clinic on The Happy Show Channel 7 early 60's. He'd stand there in the full Melbourne footy gear and demonstrate a different skill each week. I particularly remember the handball. ...hold the ball in the palm of your hand and punch the ball with fist directly where the seams of the footy cross.

Ted Whitten was Mr Football but Barassi was The King of Footy....Of course I had the Ron Barassi footy boots... Strange my team was Hawthorn but Barassi was the Footy star who inspired your love of the game. It was just accepted he was the biggest name in the game. This is even before the the 1964 Flag or him leaving the following year to coach Carlton. When he left Melbourne it was almost as big as if you decided to relocate the MCG....it was extraordinary......trust Carlton......before Barassi coached them they were simply an ancient history club...you hardly ever heard of them in the early 60's......sure they were runners up to Essendon in 1962....but that's about it.

Fast forward to now.....I think Barassi would shudder if you named the AFL Premiership Cup after him.....the Premiership is about the Club....not an individual. Barassi would have to be the Captains' Captain......an absolute leader who personified love of the game and desperation to win
To me the Premiership Captain should be awarded the Ron Barassi Medal.....

My first memory of Ron Barassi was his Footy Clinic on The Happy Show Channel 7 early 60's. He'd stand there in the full Melbourne footy gear and demonstrate a different skill each week. I particularly remember the handball. ...hold the ball in the palm of your hand and punch the ball with fist directly where the seams of the footy cross.

Ted Whitten was Mr Football but Barassi was The King of Footy....Of course I had the Ron Barassi footy boots... Strange my team was Hawthorn but Barassi was the Footy star who inspired your love of the game. It was just accepted he was the biggest name in the game. This is even before the the 1964 Flag or him leaving the following year to coach Carlton. When he left Melbourne it was almost as big as if you decided to relocate the MCG....it was extraordinary......trust Carlton......before Barassi coached them they were simply an ancient history club...you hardly ever heard of them in the early 60's......sure they were runners up to Essendon in 1962....but that's about it.

Fast forward to now.....I think Barassi would shudder if you named the AFL Premiership Cup after him.....the Premiership is about the Club....not an individual. Barassi would have to be the Captains' Captain......an absolute leader who personified love of the game and desperation to win
To me the Premiership Captain should be awarded the Ron Barassi Medal.....
Yeah no captain is going to want an extra medal for nothing.

The cup should remain detached from the other 10,000 footy awards.

The cup is the holy grail and belongs to the winning club as their own.

Serves no purpose naming it after a legend..or anyone.

A recent study of "coaching trees" ranked Barassi as the 8th most influential VFL/AFL coach:

...but there is so much more to this man's influence on the game.

Yeah no captain is going to want an extra medal for nothing.

The cup should remain detached from the other 10,000 footy awards.

The cup is the holy grail and belongs to the winning club as their own.

Serves no purpose naming it after a legend..or anyone.
Agree re the Cup.....But the Premiership Captain to me deserves recognition. It relates to more than just Grand Final Day....as does the McHale Medal and in fact the Premiership Medal itself. You can play a dud game as just one of the team but once you are in the winning team...you get the medal...it's about playing a role.

Agree re the Cup.....But the Premiership Captain to me deserves recognition. It relates to more than just Grand Final Day....as does the McHale Medal and in fact the Premiership Medal itself. You can play a dud game as just one of the team but once you are in the winning team...you get the medal...it's about playing a role.
There’s just no need to award a ‘ new’ medal to premiership capt.
It wouldn’t mean much to the recipient. Then you might have co Capts ..2 medals ..you might have the beloved capt out injured and the vice gets it. Just too many variables to bother.

On GF day it should be just the cup ..the coach gets a medal with his troops and that’s it.

Maybe the rising star award coukd be named the barassi medal.

I don’t know ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then there is the 'Barassi Line"....an imaginary line in Australia that demarcates a divide in the popularity of two major football codes: Australian rules football (AFL) and rugby league.

Sheedy’s favourite subject for 40 years ..the Barassi line.

His mission to infiltrate the rugby dominated regions.

Great tribute for a legendary figure in our game.

It was a superb video tribute to the great man.

Barassi is pretty much nearly the last of the superstar names of the old 50s/60s footy world.

KB & Sheedy are more a 70s/80s icon..Skilton is still going at 84 years old.

Ron, Hafey, Kennedy, Baldock, Jeans, Polly, Ted…all gone.

John Nichols is still going but in dire circumstances with his health.

Barassi, McHale, Norm Smith, Coleman and Whitten..the 5 most famous names in the history of the game ..imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back