News AFL kick Barry Cable out of the Hall of Fame and revoke his legend status

Remove this Banner Ad

According to Robbo ..

100 % the correct and right call imo, but it certainly does open a can of worms for the future

Based on this, I don't expect Wayne Carey or Gary Ablett Snr to ever be elevated to Legend Status in the hall of fame.

Seems apparently that off field character abs conduct is now part of the eligibility criteria in the Aussie Rules Hall of Fame going forwards (which is no bad thing)

Gary Ablett I agree on, but what did Wayne do other than getting it on with a teammates wife?
I know it's an appalling act but weren't there worse indiscretions by past footballer's who have since been inducted?

Gary Ablett I agree on, but what did Wayne do other than getting it on with a teammates wife?
I know it's an appalling act but weren't there worse indiscretions by past footballer's who have since been inducted?
Ablett was only found guilty of drug consumption and possesion though right?

Is it true that he hasn't been found guilty of any crime?

If so, is this the kind of precedent people want to see being set?

I don't know the guy, never saw him play, never saw him off field, for all I know he's a ****.

My issue is, if people no longer care about 'innocent until proven guilty', where does this ultimately lead?

I don't know the guy, never saw him play, never saw him off field, for all I know he's a ****.

My issue is, if people no longer care about 'innocent until proven guilty', where does this ultimately lead?

He was convicted of raping a girl.

What more do you want?

It sounds like you don't know those words, 'convicted' of the crime is to have been found 'guilty' at trial. The presumption of innocence doesn't extend past the verdict when you've been proven to have done the crime at that point

(Yes i am aware in some cases people are incriminated when innocent. This is not one of them)

Rugby League have it right with their Immortals.

The AFL make such a fuss about announcements they water down the meaning.

Like Pope John Paul 2 quadrupling the number of Saints during his time by broadening the definition of miracle.

Agree 100%.

I’m sure the fans of the relevant clubs will have a whinge but there is no way guys like Blight, Kennedy snr, Royce Hart, Baldock, Pratt are legends of the game. Great players no doubt. First ballot HOF sure. But not the absolute elite of the elite.

He was found guilty in a civil trial of sexually abusing a child.

It's not enough to put him behind bars, but surely if he is liable for something truly heinous like abusing a child then surely that is a high enough bar to kick him out of something as trivial as a list for people good and kicking a ball.

I
Agree 100%.

I’m sure the fans of the relevant clubs will have a whinge but there is no way guys like Blight, Kennedy snr, Royce Hart, Baldock, Pratt are legends of the game. Great players no doubt. First ballot HOF sure. But not the absolute elite of the elite.
i disagree on blight how many players were
Captain of Vic
Captain of Sa
Brownlow in vfl
Magarey in sanfl
Coleman in vfl
Ken farmer in sanfl
Bnf at Woodville and north
Only player in history to kick 100 goals in both leagues
Part of the last team to win the national championship in 75
And coach of crows only 2 flags as a a cherry on top

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a bit of a can of worms for sure.

Nicholls, Dench and Jimmy Krakouer have all served time.

Ablett Snr confessed to a 5 day bender and racking lines of heroin to an unsuspecting 19 year old girl (who he told it was cocaine), who subsequently died while he passed out. There’s been a lot of rumors over the years as to the families unwillingness to progress with criminal or civil proceedings.

Carey has his many charges.

Bomber Thompson fell in heavily with ice traffickers.

Where do we set the line?

I

i disagree on blight how many players were
Captain of Vic
Captain of Sa
Brownlow in vfl
Magarey in sanfl
Coleman in vfl
Ken farmer in sanfl
Bnf at Woodville and north
Only player in history to kick 100 goals in both leagues
Part of the last team to win the national championship in 75
And coach of crows only 2 flags as a a cherry on top
He has a unique cv because he played in both leagues but there is nothing specular in that CV that has him heads and shoulders above other players in the hall of fame.

There should be 12-15 legends. Are you telling me blight in the top 15 players in history ? Please.

His cv isn’t amazingly better than say Nathan Buckley

Yes and is probably universally considered by many in that group.

He won multiple league medals, played up the ground, played forward later in his career and won a Coleman and had 100+ goal seasons.

Was the star player in a side that made 5 consecutive grand finals…

He’s considered close to North’s best ever in competition with Carey, who was certainly a hell of a lot better than Buckley in the same era.

That’s just as a player, now add in the coaching career…….

Last edited:
It’s a bit of a can of worms for sure.

Nicholls, Dench and Jimmy Krakouer have all served time.

Ablett Snr confessed to a 5 day bender and racking lines of heroin to an unsuspecting 19 year old girl (who he told it was cocaine), who subsequently died while he passed out. There’s been a lot of rumors over the years as to the families unwillingness to progress with criminal or civil proceedings.

Carey has his many charges.

Bomber Thompson fell in heavily with ice traffickers.

Where do we set the line?
GAS shouldn’t even be close to the line. He should seriously be Barry cabled from the competition.

Where do we draw the line? "We" don't.

It's the HoF committee's job to make case-by-case judgments on the basis of record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character. An extremely vague criteria which has always thrown up headscratchers and contradictions, so to suddenly get your knickers in a knot about that is rather silly.

He was found guilty in a civil trial of sexually abusing a child.

In criminal case the prosecutor must prove its case Beyond Reasonable Doubt. In civil case the standard of proof is at the lower level of On the Balance of Probabilities. That is in the civil case you only need to prove that it is more probably than not that your case is correct. In a criminal case the accused must be found not guilty unless the jury are satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that they committed the crime. This reflects society’s judgement that people are innocent until proven guilty and should not be punished... unless the crime is proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The case against Cable has not been proven beyond reasonable doubt.

He denies the allegations.

If he had been convicted of crimes, fair enough, unperson him, do whatever you want as part of your Two Minutes Hate.

But he hasn't been convicted of crimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back