Toast Australian Rules Hall of Fame Night 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Still can't believe Russell Greene and Alastair Lynch are not in it. Both were great players.

Greene yes. Lynch, honestly he had one very good season in 1993 (B&F and AA) and then he was ruined with his illness. He eventually got back to being a very solid key forward for Brisbane but he was never among the top players in the league again. Not sure he’s HoF worthy.

John Worsfold should be in there.

And not just because Mark Bickley is.

Mark. Bickley.

Not really, especially when you factor in that it is really 3 leagues in particular that inductees are drawn from.

Mitchell and Bartel are Brownlow medalists, multiple AAs, have 7 flags between them, a Norm Smith, and 300 gamers.
Enright was a club games record holder and 6 time AA
Aish I missed a lot of his achievements but by all accounts was an absolute legend of SA football
Williams has achieved a colossal amount in SA footy, coached a flag, set a games record in the VFL for an SA player.

These aren’t just 200 gamers who maybe pinched a flag and made a couple of State of Origin sides

There’s roughly 550 active AFL players at any given time at the moment and in the past there were probably 7-800 across the VFL, SANFL, WAFL.

If they’re inducting 5-6-7 guys a year, that is roughly 1 per cent of the playing population. I think that’s a pretty reasonable representation for an honour like this

Good selections this year, but I just know Kane Cornes will get in. If that happens may as well have 1000 people in the HOF if that’s the standard.

You don’t think Bartel and Enright belong in the HoF?

Scarlett and Ablett Jnr (standouts of their generation).

Bartel was a great player but he was on the same tier as Lenny Hayes, Nigel Lappin, Josh Kennedy (Swans), Dane Swan and similar types. If you looking back on 100 years of VFL/AFL, so many wonderful players who were the equal of such players.

Dustin Fletcher is more worthy than everyone inducted tonight and his continued non induction is just ridiculous.

Three 'relatively' modern players is probably at least one too many for a 150 year old game, especially one being a current senior coach.

I think Robert Walls said something about the AFL hall of fame being the final crowning achievement the game can give you, or words to that effect, that's probably a better way of approaching it.

Scarlett and Ablett Jnr (standouts of their generation).

Bartel was a great player but he was on the same tier as Lenny Hayes, Nigel Lappin, Josh Kennedy (Swans), Dane Swan and similar types. If you looking back on 100 years of VFL/AFL, so many wonderful players who were the equal of such players.
Bartel one of three players in AFL/VFL history to win a Brownlow/Norm Smith and play 300 games.if he doesn’t deserve to be in there is a long list of players who need to be evicted

Three 'relatively' modern players is probably at least one too many for a 150 year old game, especially one being a current senior coach.

I think Robert Walls said something about the AFL hall of fame being the final crowning achievement the game can give you, or words to that effect, that's probably a better way of approaching it.
It’s the Australian Football Hall of Fame not the AFL Hall of Fame

No one should really be getting in while they are under 45 years of age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, especially when you factor in that it is really 3 leagues in particular that inductees are drawn from.

Mitchell and Bartel are Brownlow medalists, multiple AAs, have 7 flags between them, a Norm Smith, and 300 gamers.
Enright was a club games record holder and 6 time AA
Aish I missed a lot of his achievements but by all accounts was an absolute legend of SA football
Williams has achieved a colossal amount in SA footy, coached a flag, set a games record in the VFL for an SA player.

These aren’t just 200 gamers who maybe pinched a flag and made a couple of State of Origin sides

There’s roughly 550 active AFL players at any given time at the moment and in the past there were probably 7-800 across the VFL, SANFL, WAFL.

If they’re inducting 5-6-7 guys a year, that is roughly 1 per cent of the playing population. I think that’s a pretty reasonable representation for an honour like this

This is a reasonable take. Can you call someone a campaigner to make us all feel more comfortable?

Lappin is in there. I liked him as a player but he was on par with Mark Mercuri as a player. Winning a 3rd premiership and playing more games obviously lifts him into HoF calculations it would seem but I wouldn’t have either of them in there. And Bickley… bloody hell…

Greene yes. Lynch, honestly he had one very good season in 1993 (B&F and AA) and then he was ruined with his illness. He eventually got back to being a very solid key forward for Brisbane but he was never among the top players in the league again. Not sure he’s HoF worthy.

300 game, 3 time premiership player and in Fitzroys team of the century plus kicked over 600 goals. Pretty incredible considering he was down back until that BnF year. Also played in that state of origin Tassie team that beat the Vics in 1990. He derserves to be in over some of these SANF and WAFL inductees.

Welcome Michael Ash

Why are players who spent their career playing in a third tier league getting inducted? He may have been great - but we'll never know because he never had the ticker to mix it with the best. Hall of Fame should only include players who played at the elite level.

The AFL are becoming a joke with the constant pandering to the sooks in SA and WA. If this bloke gets in for playing SANFL - Nick Sautner should have been in years ago.

Why are players who spent their career playing in a third tier league getting inducted? He may have been great - but we'll never know because he never had the ticker to mix it with the best. Hall of Fame should only include players who played at the elite level.

The AFL are becoming a joke with the constant pandering to the sooks in SA and WA. If this bloke gets in for playing SANFL - Nick Sautner should have been in years ago.

I respectfully disagree.

It's not the VFL hall of fame, and when Ash played, the SANFL was almost as good a league as the VFL in its own right.

I do think the hof needs to be tightened up. Happy for Mitchell and bartel but I'm on the fence with enright.

What ? Probably the greatest small defender of all time. He was a champion mate. One of the Geelong all time greats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back