Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't realise he was top 3 for Brownlow. Man, what a slim field it is this year ... it'll be even more snooze-inducing viewing than usual! haha

Inconsistent is the only reason I'd pick Libba over Butters on field in the middle. Look at his start of season and around the byes compared to Libba. For an AA squad, I'd choose always choose consistent performers ahead of the inconsistent. Could even chuck Butters to the wing and move Gulden to the bench.

For ruck craft, I had RoMo way ahead of English but now that I have looked at some stats (to prove you wrong lol) I am changing my view. English had the better season and deserves his place.
  • English attended avg. 78 ruck contests per game, 39% win rate (for 31 per game), 10.5 to advantage
  • RoMa attended avg. 66 ruck contests per game, 41% win rate (for 27 per game), 7.5 to advantage
Possession wise they were similar (RoMo just ahead) but English had 15 goals to 7.
Butters played in the middle this year and excelled at the position. Take a look at coaches votes.

Also, Daicos and Gulden were easily the best two wingman this season and its about time the selectors recognised the position.

Libba is one of the least hyped players in the league. It is funny how there are players like Libba who no matter what they do or how good they are simply will never be media darlings and will never get the credit they deserve.

Take Bailey Smith compared to Libba for example. Bailey Smiths hype is off the charts, Libba's output is about triple.
Pure inside mids are always looked down more on compared to guys who burst forward, run and kick the ball. It doesnt matter if they spray the ball into the forward line but it looks flashy. Hence they seem to win a lot of attention and awards

Barely anyone sees the work the inside mid did to get it out to the guys running through. Often they get degraded for having low metres gained or something stupid. See Tom Mitchell, Lachie Neale, Libba, etc

It should’ve been out of Libba & Viney for that final bench spot but you just know it was Glen Jakovich who pushed the WA cause like a madman for Serong ‘til everyone caved.

Jakovich and Kevin Bartlett have been on that committee since the wheel was invented. FFS let someone else have a go.

Libba honestly deserved it more.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with this.
Toby has well and truly won me over this year with his leadership and elite football display.

Credit to GWS for making him captain.
Brave move, inspired move, brilliant move.
I read the last paragraph and my mind conjured up Caroline Wilson.

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

It should’ve been out of Libba & Viney for that final bench spot but you just know it was Glen Jakovich who pushed the WA cause like a madman for Serong ‘til everyone caved.

Jakovich and Kevin Bartlett have been on that committee since the wheel was invented. FFS let someone else have a go.

Libba honestly deserved it more.
I think they all accept that half Libba’s disposals are throws …. Sets him back in the pack

Yeah, no. Literally no-one is saying that. Hell most of your board thinks that Cerra was better than Cripps. Cripps making the 44 is unforgivable. His first 14 weeks were trash.
Cripps averaged 26 disposals in the first 14 weeks and over 31 in the first 4 matches of the season.
Not sure if that's "trash".

Yeah, no. Literally no-one is saying that. Hell most of your board thinks that Cerra was better than Cripps. Cripps making the 44 is unforgivable. His first 14 weeks were trash.
Personally I agree that Cerra was more impactful over the season but in reality their stats are almost identical.

They pick one player from the team that comes second on the ladder and don't even select the brownlow medallist.

Nice work AA selectors! Earned your pay cheques this year!
I’d love to hear your arguments supporting that the umpires have better judgment than the selectors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back