Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Pleased Sicily got a blazer and Houston as well.

Not a huge fan of Daicos the elder but it was good to see a pure winger selected for a change. Don’t know how Errol is classified, but I guess he lines up on the wing a bit, but plays his own hybrid role.

Libba and Marshall were stiff and had them well in front of Merrett and English.

Errol is a wing, he always starts there, no issue. More outside than in so he'd be classified as a wing. Two wingers picked is what the side should do every year not push blokes like Mills last year onto a wing for goodness sakes. Can you imagine Mills on a wing?

Pleased Sicily got a blazer and Houston as well.

Not a huge fan of Daicos the elder but it was good to see a pure winger selected for a change. Don’t know how Errol is classified, but I guess he lines up on the wing a bit, but plays his own hybrid role.

Libba and Marshall were stiff and had them well in front of Merrett and English.
Gulden has been very impressive in a mid-table side. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a good side with a couple of elite key forwards.

Gulden has been very impressive in a mid-table side. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a good side with a couple of elite key forwards.

I hate to imagine it but imagine him kicking it into 50 rather than Blake "kick and hope for the best" Acres.

He played a majority of the year in the middle, he started back early but basically played everywhere. He's a mid who can play everywhere, don't see what the issue is with him being as the follower. They could have picked Viney or Libba in that role but not sure which mid I'd be leaving out all deserved their spot. Sure you can take Stewart out and shift Daicos back but I hate it, that's taking a defender position out for the sake of it.
He averaged 4 clearances and no where near the contested possessions of the rest of the bulls on the ball. You wouldn't start him at centre bounces if you were the coach of the AA team so why name him there. He should have been halfback.

He averaged 4 clearances and no where near the contested possessions of the rest of the bulls on the ball. You wouldn't start him at centre bounces if you were the coach of the AA team so why name him there. He should have been halfback.

I would start him in the middle no two ways about it, you want your best players in there. You have Serong, Dawson on the bench anyway, and Trac is there.

I did chortle.

The kid gets a bit confused. Sees himself as a key forward, third up defender in marking contests and pretty much everything other than as a somewhat undersized ruck. I swear Hickey and McLean both had to tell him to nickorf when he put his hand up for boundary line throw ins.

He has recently turned 21 and is an improving type who possesses some footy IQ and a few skills. Might have a future in the game.

I would start him in the middle no two ways about it, you want your best players in there. You have Serong, Dawson on the bench anyway, and Trac is there.
My point is the team should line up how they would play, Serong is a much better centre square mid than Diacos in terms of clearances and contested possessions. You'd be silly to put a 19 year old kid in there when you have other guys who are better at the hard stuff. They put him there so they could start 7 defenders, they have over corrected on the too many mid years.

He played a majority of the year in the middle, he started back early but basically played everywhere. He's a mid who can play everywhere, don't see what the issue is with him being as the follower. They could have picked Viney or Libba in that role but not sure which mid I'd be leaving out all deserved their spot. Sure you can take Stewart out and shift Daicos back but I hate it, that's taking a defender position out for the sake of it.
I reckon he spent a considerable time as a half back in the first half of the season, it was later in the year he began to have some more time in the middle, but he's spent the majority of the time in defence.

If he played the majority of the year in the middle, it wasn't really at the stoppages like a follower would naturally be, his clearance averages are pretty poor, in the mid 60s for the league.

Anyway, I just hope in future teams we can hopefully get back to protecting positions as much as possible in the AA side, but it seems we get further away from that each year.

I'm not arguing against him in the side, I'm arguing against him being the AA follower, he's not that, there have been better in that position.

I reckon he spent a considerable time as a half back in the first half of the season, it was later in the year he began to have some more time in the middle, but he's spent the majority of the time in defence.

If he played the majority of the year in the middle, it wasn't really at the stoppages like a follower would naturally be, his clearance averages are pretty poor, in the mid 60s for the league.

Anyway, I just hope in future teams we can hopefully get back to protecting positions as much as possible in the AA side, but it seems we get further away from that each year.

I'm not arguing against him in the side, I'm arguing against him being the AA follower, he's not that, there have been better in that position.

They have done that this season- actually picked wingers and picked blokes in their rightful positions. What do people want? They rectify it and people whinge they don’t and people scream about inside mids plonked on the wings.

Umpires getting AA's now? lmao...

They've been selecting an All Australian umpire for the past 30 years.

Quinz Cringle DT_35 YouBeauty

It's the AFL awards night, for god's sake.
  • The Coaches Association awards for player of the year, best young player
  • The Players' Association awards for MVP, best 1st year player, best captain and the most courageous
  • The AFL awards: the Rising Star and the All Australians... Yes, that includes umpires.
Why shouldn't the best umpire also be acknowledged at the AFL awards night?
It's like thinking the Oscars should only go to the best actors & best director and not the screenwriters, cinematographers, sound editors, etc.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decent side, probably would have had Weitering in place of Moore and Langford a little unlucky not to make the bench but thats about it.

Shows how bad a decision it was to leave Sicily out of last year's side as there were no absolute shockers like that this year. That decision really was a Barry Crocker from the selection panel last year.

Decent side, probably would have had Weitering in place of Moore and Langford a little unlucky not to make the bench but thats about it.

Shows how bad a decision it was to leave Sicily out of last year's side as there were no absolute shockers like that this year. That decision really was a Barry Crocker from the selection panel last year.
langford unlucky but not surprised, would've been a cruel joke to not pick nick larky after what's a dominant season with a mediocre club, and every other person on the bench deserved to be there (or on the ground at a minimum)

They have done that this season- actually picked wingers and picked blokes in their rightful positions. What do people want? They rectify it and people whinge they don’t and people scream about inside mids plonked on the wings.
Just don't put the wrong players in the most important spots like the spine and on the ball, I can live with wings, flanks and pockets. It's like they were playing Ross Lyon games and naming them in their wrong positions to confuse the opposition coach.

langford unlucky but not surprised, would've been a cruel joke to not pick nick larky after what's a dominant season with a mediocre club, and every other person on the bench deserved to be there (or on the ground at a minimum)
Yeh, none of the selections/non selections strike me as being completely and utterly wrong in the way that leaving Sicily out of the team last year was.

There are a handful of 50/50 decisions (like Moore over Weitering) but you get that every year.

Just don't put the wrong players in the most important spots like the spine and on the ball, I can live with wings, flanks and pockets. It's like they were playing Ross Lyon games and naming them in their wrong positions to confuse the opposition coach.

It makes no difference the same players are there, not as if players outside the side are coming in. Don't see it a big deal at all, not as if they are playing a game.

Enright wasn't gifted any. He could almost get nominated purely out of how easily he bitchslapped Cyril every season. Couldn't get a kick on Corey.
LOL

Cyril kicked 6 goals on the great Corey Enright (Round 20, 2015) and polled 10 coaches votes and 3 Brownlow votes

Anyone else manage to do that?

Don't get the hate for Greene as captain. Sure, he can be a grub. But no one can discount his profound influence on the game. Leigh Matthews is revered but was an absolute grub with his track record, the latter though hasn't in any way diminished his status in the game.
I agree with this.
Toby has well and truly won me over this year with his leadership and elite football display.

Credit to GWS for making him captain.
Brave move, inspired move, brilliant move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back